PDA

View Full Version : Bell 5100 on the Hot Seat...

**DONOTDELETE**
05-30-2002, 03:48 AM
I'm getting concern here!
Why all those Customers (eve on some other Forums)
are complaining about the "Bell 5100"
For Sure now I don't think I want to go near one....
What with the 5100? Problems?

sleemo
05-30-2002, 11:26 AM
I have one and I've never had a major problem with it yet. (knock knock).

The audio went a little funny one time when my fiance was pressing the skip ahead and skip back buttons too quickly but after I turned the receiver off and back on from the box, it was ok again.

People will post complaints, not weekly reports their equipment is working fine. "Hey everybody, I'd just like to let everyone know my receiver is working great today" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I think it's a great receiver.

renal
05-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Just like a computer it needs to be booted every now and then. Any problem I've had has been resolved by holding the power button on the unit (not remote) down for a few seconds until it 'boots'. I leave it on all the time and don't get the "0" minute problem.
Get one, you'll love it. Completely changes the way you watch TV.

Angelfish
05-30-2002, 12:40 PM
One of the channels on the IPG says that they are upgrading the software for the 5100's today. You have to turn the unit off to get the new software. It is supposed to reduce the 0 min error and the black screen when changing channels quickly. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Grunge
05-30-2002, 01:25 PM
I'm one of the many that have had ONE problem. I think, however, even with the problems the 5100 still gets a unamaninous vote of approval from it's owners. IMO, that is what you should be concentrating on!

Filthy
05-30-2002, 02:14 PM
I love my PVR, couldn't live without it. It's interesting that a large number of NON-PVR or NON-Bell people on this site continue to slam the PVR any chance they get. I would recommend that you disregard these negative posts by people who don't own one; instead listen to the people who own one and you would see that most of them love it and would buy one again in a second!

mikealex
05-30-2002, 02:29 PM
I'll second that, Filthy. I've stayed out of this thread (until now), because he's just trying to stir the pot. Those who have a 5100 know its benefits, and its quirks. In the end, it is the best Canadian satellite receiver out there, IMO.

SatMike
05-30-2002, 03:39 PM
What about the people that do have them and complain about all the problems? Should that not be a concern?

PlusONE
05-30-2002, 03:42 PM
I totally agree with you. The PVR is one of the best recievers that I've had. I enjoy all the benefits of a PVR.

Filthy
05-30-2002, 03:58 PM
Like I have said many times, if you know the quirks of the system, you won't have any problems! I know not to turn off the pvr otherwise I will get 0 minute recordings, I know not to rapid fire change channels or I will get a black screen. As long as I don't do those two things, I have no problems!

OrdinaryGuy
05-30-2002, 04:24 PM
I've never read a post that actually said someone wanted to ditch their 5100, no matter what the problems.

jconnor
05-30-2002, 04:41 PM
That's my impression. The PVR is not perfect. But it's so gosh darned cool and useful that I would buy it again with out one second of hesitations. And I have experienced most of the issues talked about here as I bought mine in September 2000.

renal
05-30-2002, 04:41 PM
Even with all the problems...I'd still buy another one.
I have to agree with an earlier statement, only listen to comments (good or bad) from people that actually own one. Some want to slam it simply because it is unique to BEV. Unless you live with the receiver you just don't know how great it is. For me it's value is in the little things...walking into the room at the end of a newscast/commercial/program that seemed interesting and simply jumping back and watching it from the start. Seeing a cool commercial and grabbing it to show the wife. Watching a sports replay over again a few times to get a good look. Throw in the VCR like recording capabilities and you have one very cool piece of equipment.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-30-2002, 04:44 PM
As the othershave said, the 5100 is a terrific device. Clearly it is the most useful and fun gadget for my home theatre. Create yoiur own instant replays, eliminate commercials, forget tape management (although surprisingly, 22 hours of storage is not enough!), watch your stored programs in their original quality ( we are no longer happy to use our excellent VCR because the picture is so bad in comparison to the PVR).
Yes it has it's quirks, we all hope for the days when they home in on a close to perfect system, but none-the-less there are simple workarounds for it's current failings.
Wouldn't be without ours. It's great. I watch shows when I want to, without giving up quality.

jconnor
05-30-2002, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

...large number of NON-PVR or NON-Bell people...

<hr></blockquote> I've noticed that too. It gets a bit tiresome.
Why they think they are adding value with posts like that is beyond me. "I don't own one and I wouldn't because blah blah blah".
I want to read posts like; "Yes, I have one, I experienced that and here's what you do..."
Understand everyone? (and you know who you are!)

GOD
05-31-2002, 02:11 AM
If everybody complained about what they read that was printed , that they did not like...I'm sure there would be a lot less editors or writers in the world .

renal
05-31-2002, 11:55 AM
HUH???

mikealex
05-31-2002, 12:05 PM
I'll second Renal's "huh"?

jconnor
05-31-2002, 12:30 PM
Oh, good. It's not just me! I just couldn't be bother to add more.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-31-2002, 01:03 PM
I think it's great that you see all sorts of *5100 problem* posts and people discussing the problems... until they're asked if they'd give it up. Then they band together to defend it like WIlliam Wallace was leading them. Makes me believe it's an awesome product with a few quirks.
I'd go out and buy one if there was a way to get HDTV with it as well. I'm not about to plunk down $1300 bucks for a 5100 and a 6000 to get the best of both worlds. It will come with time. Eventually there will be a product that does both and i'll be on it like stink on a dog.
For now though, I'll just have to deal with my rabid case of PVR envy.

jconnor
05-31-2002, 02:02 PM
That's my opinion too; an awesome product with a few quirks. But getting better all the time. I don't recall any of the *OWNERS* of the 5100 cr*pping on them, just sharing experiences. It's the non-owners and BEV-Bashers who take all the cheap shots. Oh well, such is life.

RUU
05-31-2002, 02:35 PM

It's the non-owners and BEV-Bashers who take all the cheap shots. Oh well, such is life.

<hr></blockquote>
snoman - makes fun of Bell PVR bugs
Filthy - makes fun of StarChoice's lack of PVR

How is one any worse than the other?

jconnor
05-31-2002, 04:04 PM
They are both the same. I wish they'd both tone it down. There's lots of good sharing about the new 5100 SW update. That's why I come here, not to read about p*ssing contests.
I have no quarrel with *C owners and take no joy when they are having problems with their service or equipment. I wish they had a PVR option so that BEV cannot rest easy. But bashing adds no value, IMO.

Grunge
05-31-2002, 04:27 PM
Nothing is perfect but the bottom line is the 5100 just keeps on getting better and better. Bev continues to listen to customers and making little improvements as they can.

snoman
05-31-2002, 05:53 PM

They are both the same. I wish they'd both tone it down..

<hr></blockquote>

In case you guys forgot in my last post on the subject I said I'd lay off and I meant it. I haven't said squat about the PVR since then. Fair enough? Good.

P.S. I'm glad to see the new firmware has cleared up a lot of your problems. Happy PVRing.

jconnor
05-31-2002, 07:04 PM
Understood (and appreciated), it takes a while for changes to filter through the system sometimes! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

snoman
05-31-2002, 09:10 PM
Okey Dokey!
Now go fast forward something.
Preferably the zoom zoom kid. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

jconnor
05-31-2002, 09:19 PM

Preferably the zoom zoom kid.

<hr></blockquote>

Nuyk!

**DONOTDELETE**
06-08-2002, 05:14 AM
Well, I have a lot more problems with Windows 2000 and Office 2000 - but would I do without them?...No Way! My Rogers HiSpeed Internet on Cable goes out more than my phone dial-up, but I prefer the former anyway.

So even though my PVR has a quirk or two (but there exists a workaround for the main quirk), I would NEVER give it up. The BEV 55100 is by far the nicest sat receiver I own (I also own a BEV 3100, SC 421b, Hughes D2-25 and RCA DRD480RE)

Don't be disuaded just because the 5100 PVR isn't quite perfect... Some of the Bell Worlds (eg. in Fairview Mall, Toronto) have them running so you can try one there for yourself on a "test drive".

jconnor
06-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Plus, with the latest s/w update. It's pretty gosh darned close to perfect as it can get. (Beyond what it was designed for, doesn't count! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i.e. it doesn't make coffee!)

mikealex
06-08-2002, 11:56 PM
I've found a new problem with the 5100 since the upgrade - I keep forgetting to turn it off! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I guess that isn't so much a problem with the 5100 as it is a retraining problem for me. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif