PDA

View Full Version : Problems with SC signal cutting out

**DONOTDELETE**
05-04-2002, 05:33 PM
We've had a problem with our Starchoice signal cutting in and out since we got the system over a year ago. We have tried a replacement receiver, and a replacement LNB, and we recently tried redoing all the grounding according to information from this forum. This worked fine for three days and then it started in again and now its worse than ever. The CSR at Starchoice although friendly have no idea what is wrong. I'm seriously thinking of ditching it and going to Expressvue, but I don't want to spend the money if it's some simple thing I'm overlooking. We have checked all the power outlets and surge protectors also. It seems to get worse when the weather warms up and last summer when it would get really bad we would spray the LNB with a hose and it would stop blinking in and out, but the weather here hasn't been all that warm and the hose trick doesn't appear to work anymore, and neither does disconnecting the coaxial cable overnight to disapate the static. I'm at a loss of what could be causing this. Any ideas anyone?

OneTomcat
05-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Assuming your dish is peaked properly, you are using RG6 coax and you have you have a strong signal when you are getting a picture, my guess would be a bad coax, either a bad or poorly crimped connector or a sharp bend that has caused an internal break in the coax.
There is an outside chance you are getting external interference from an outside source, from a radar detector for example. You could run a new coax temorarily from the dish directly to the receiver and see if that corrects the problem. I also see that you have a surge protector. If it is the type that you run the coax thru, make sure that the in and out lines are connector correctly and as well try leaving it out of the equation. It would not be the first time that a surge protector wouldn't pass the signal properly.

DaveJohnson
05-05-2002, 01:48 AM
I got called over to a neighbors house last night at about 8:30 pm mst to troubleshoot a SC system with the exact same symptoms. After going over and replacing everything piece by piece, the receiver was still the same with the signal cutting in and out.

You dealers and installers probably figured the problem out already. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif A radar detector was the culprit. The house was located across the street from the school where a Grad was being held. There were cars everywhere including 2 police cars parked right across the street from the house.

This is the second time this has happened to me on a callout with radar dectectors parked near the dish. I know this is probably not your problem but I figured I would tell this story for everyone with funny signal problems sometimes. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
05-05-2002, 03:49 AM
I wish my problem was as easy as that one. There is no highway or even a through road anywhere near where I am. There are high frequency power lines about 1/2 mile away however, but then my neighbor is closer to them then I am, has a Starchoice system and doesn't have any problems with his. Thanks for your help.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-05-2002, 03:50 AM
Thanks, I will try to test the cable next.

dlg
05-05-2002, 10:11 PM
CSR to Dave Johnson
Sorry Dave, you must have missed something. I know you've changed everything out but it must be the cable. Couldn't be our flawless equipment, couldn't be the weather, and even though we talked about the effect of radar detectors on our info channel, thats not the problem. Has to be the cable. I suggest you change the cable and keep changing the cable until the system works. There must be a piece of cable out there that will do the job, you just have to find it.
dlg to Dave Johnson
Go home, wait till the parties over, everything will work fine. Enjoy life in the real world. That is unless you sold the sytem in the first place. Then you can refund their money, spend another hour taking the system out and then go home and ponder on the question. Why is Starchoice the only satellite system to be affected by radar dectectors?

DaveJohnson
05-05-2002, 10:21 PM
Good one.! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/rotfl.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
05-06-2002, 02:50 AM
Just wanted to mention in case it helps others that we replaced the coax cable this morning and have had no signal problems all day. It looks like that may have been the problem. Thanks again for your help.

DaveJohnson
05-06-2002, 03:13 AM
Dlg I just wanted to add that I`m not a satellite dealer or installer just someone who helps everyone in my area with their satellite problems.

A week or so another neighbor called to say something wasn`t right with his ExpressVu system. I went and checked it out and all the receiver would do is say aquireing signal.

Again changed cable,lnb and realigned dish with no change. Tried another receiver and it worked good so the problem had to be receiver.

Got the owner to call ExpressVu who told him the unit was out of warranty and that he would have to buy a new receiver. The unit was a year and a half old.

Too bad because the next day it was cheaper to buy a whole new Starchoice system and cancel ExpressVu. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
BTW I opened the bad ExpressVu 2700 and found a resistor shorted out and melted the board where it used to be connected.