PDA

View Full Version : *choice static buildup problem?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-27-2002, 07:07 PM
All last summer we had a problem with our Starchoice signal cutting in and out. It usually happened during mid day when the weather was hot and lasted for the entire day. The next morning it would be fine and then start in again. We tried a replacement receiver and a replacement LNB and nothing worked. It stopped happening in the winter when the weather was cooler.

Three days ago it started in again constantly blinking in and out. I phoned *choice and there was a very nice representative that suggested that I unplug it and disconnect the coaxil Cable for a minute then connect it up and plug it in again. She said that there is sometimes a problem with static buildup in the cable line. This worked fine there was no problem after that until today around noon it started blinking out again. I unhooked it again and it's working great again.

I asked the person at Starchoice why this would be happening and they didn't have an answer. I'm wondering if anyone here would know so I don't have to continually hook and unhook the cables all summer long. Could it be a grounding problem? Any ideas anyone?

snoman
04-27-2002, 07:19 PM
Put a grounding block between the dish and receiver and hook it up to a cold water pipe. They are designed to dissipate static build up ,not lightning strikes as is widely and erroneously believed.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-27-2002, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the information. I will try that.