PDA

View Full Version : 5100 Noisy - Do I Return It ???

Grunge
04-20-2002, 11:42 PM
I have had absolutely zero problems with my 5100 until about a week or two ago. Now, my 5100 is extremely noisy. Sounds like the hum/squeal some computer hard disks make. Sitting 12 feet away, I can hear it over the TV at moderate volume and it drives me nuts. I have my equipment on a rack, not in a cabinet so the sound is not muffled whatsoever. Coincidentally, this all happened since the software update but I can't see how this could affect anything like this.

I called Bev and spoke to a technician and he said he was more than willing to send me out a new one, but cautioned me against it. When I put the phone on top of the unit, apparently he couldn't hear it whereas with thers he said they were very loud on the phone. He basically said that if I haven't had any other problems with this unit, I should seriously consider hanging onto it. He wasn't sure that the replacement would be as good !!! (how's that for confidence in the product). I am wondering if I should build a "hush box" for this until my home theatre construction is complete, after which all my components will be hidden behind panels.

Has anyone had this problem crop up on them after a few months? Did you send it back? If so, how was the replacement?

GOD
04-21-2002, 11:57 AM
Put it outside in the same box that you have your generator in...unless the neighbors get mad because of the noise . /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

LOL...just kidding .

Grunge
04-21-2002, 01:55 PM
"generator"? What the hell are you talking about?

GOD
04-21-2002, 06:59 PM
LOL...a generator is a noisy piece of equipment that is used to generate electricity in the event of a power outage . A lot of people have them...and keep them in a seperate building because of noise...and exhaust fumes .

jconnor
04-21-2002, 09:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

"generator"? What the hell are you talking about?

<hr></blockquote>It's GOD's form of humour. Usually at Bell expense. Don't worry about it and just enjoy your PVR.

BTW. Mine was making quite a noise for a while and it seems to have gone. It may come back, who knows? It's way quieter than my computer which has (I think) the same drive.

snoman
04-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Another BEV first!
The only PVR that needs a muffler.

jconnor
04-21-2002, 10:21 PM
Good point. The 5100 is the noisiest PVR in Canada. OH WAIT it's the only one in Canada.

<font color=green>Green</font color=green> just doesn't suit you guys!

GOD
04-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Only one ? No ....I don't think so . /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Please don't take it as humour...but as fact !!!

Filthy
04-22-2002, 12:53 PM
It's the cooling fan that is making the noise.

Todd_Sandrock
04-22-2002, 12:56 PM
Sorry...what other PVR is available?

jconnor
04-22-2002, 12:57 PM
I'm all ears. What are the other ones?

noelk
04-22-2002, 01:16 PM
I've also noticed the last couple months my PVR has been noisier than before - however, mine is in a cabinet with a glass door, so it isn't noticable.

Could it be that the hard drive is working more because it's fragmented?

Noel

Grunge
04-22-2002, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't think so but that raises an interesting question, how do you defrag one of these?

b_p_smith
04-22-2002, 06:01 PM
Is it a constant squeal, more like a whining sound? That sounds like a problem with the grounding strap on the drive spindle. I wonder what brand of drive they're using to have that fail so quickly.

The noise by itself isn't a problem, but the strap in question is supposed to disipate the static generated by the spinning parts. Usually when you start getting that noise, it's the beginning of the end for the drive, but it could last months or even years like that. Usually the hapless owner would have gone insane since then.

It's also possible that they have some sort of processor fan, like what you'd see in a faster PC these days. Those things have a 100% failure rate, usually starting with the noise. When the noise stops, it means the fan has finally seized. The processor (or whatever chip is being cooled by the fan) is now in danger of overheating. Again, it may last months or die very quickly.

I wouldn't consider it all that unusual for a CSR to not hear it over the phone. The phones aren't designed for that sort of frequency range, and the CSR is probably half deaf from that rock'n'roll music anyway. :-&gt;

I don't suppose there's any easy way to pop off the cover and determine where the noise is coming from? If you knew that it'd be easier to decide what to do. Though frankly I'd be considering a replacement regardless.

GOD
04-22-2002, 10:01 PM
TIVO works well according to what I have been reading and if you had an email address in your profile I would send you the link so you could read it . I could post it here but it would only be deleted . All the facts are not allowed on this forum . The answers are out there...you just have to know where to look . Another thing...105 hrs is a lot of recording time /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif and no... I don't have one !

GOD
04-22-2002, 10:16 PM
If it overheats...is there any chance of it catching fire if there is a lot of dust inside like there is in most electronics ? I would think this would be of great concern to Bell !!!

I notice that they have a complaint department on our Atlantic Canada version of "Live at Five" that deals with this kind of stuff , it's called "On Your Side" maybe you should get a hold of them with this info and then everyone will at least be made aware if there really is a risk of fire .

Even if there is no risk everybody should always keep a smoke detector around their entertainment unit...you never know with some of this stuff...ask MCIBUS...Bell wanted his receiver that went up in smoke !!!

jconnor
04-22-2002, 11:16 PM
No need. I know all I need to know about TIVO and there are two distinct differences to the BEV PVR.
1) It records from an analogue source, not digital and
2) they're not really available for sale in Canada, now are they?

GOD
04-23-2002, 12:35 AM
Well...when you can walk into a store in Toronto and pick one up of the shelf and walk to the counter and pay for it and get a receipt and warranty...yeah ...I would say it is " really available " ! Mind you...might not be after Friday .

jconnor
04-23-2002, 12:58 AM
Point taken, one can buy all sorts of things that are not really "officially distributed" in this country; cameras, electronics, etc.
I would question the value of the warranty without an offical distributor, but maybe that's just me.

Mind you my other point is still valid in that this is recording an analogue signal not a digital one. But we can agree to disagree.
I sure as heck would not trade my 5100 for a Tivo on that basis alone.

Grunge
04-23-2002, 03:56 AM
b_p, yes it is a "squeal whining sound" (sorta like Gretzky in his heydays in Edmonton, but I digress). Although the sound is constant (always there) the pitch appears to change with an almost regular "looping" pattern (loud squeal for several seconds than a drop in pitch for a second and then back again). I believe I will take them up on the replacement and take my chances. It is one of them things wher I am liable to take my 9 iron to it if I keep it around too long! I doubt then that Bell would want to replace it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif