PDA

View Full Version : The Masters

konechny
04-11-2002, 05:47 AM
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

We regret the there is not time frame when "The Masters" will be available
in our HDTV listing. This is beyond our control with the broadcaster.
However, we can provide you with other programming that may be of interest.

As you probably know, High Definition (HD) content varies from one network
to the next. CBS and ABC carry most of their primetime content as well as
certain movies/sports in HD. NBC has Jay Leno, Crossing Jordan and the 2002
Winter Olympics. PBS has a lot of documentaries etc. available 24 hours a
day. FOX carries some of their evening primetime shows - Xfiles, and more in
480P widescreen which gets fed out in 1080i by us.

Our intention is to ensure that we can carry any and all HDTV content from
these networks simultaneously with the full bandwidth required for them.
Please note that current Canadian satellite service carris only one channel
of combined US Network content. When content is not available, the
standard-definition content will be shown.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to visit the
link at www.bell.ca/hdtv (http://www.bell.ca/hdtv) <http://www.bell.ca/hdtv> or contact us at our
toll free number 1-888-SKYDISH. You can also contact us via our website at
http://www.expressvu.com <http://www.expressvu.com/> . Our Customer Service
Department is available 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Thank you for choosing Bell ExpressVu as your satellite provider.

Sincerely,

Carole Miller
E-Customer Service Representative
Bell ExpressVu Limited Partnership
115 Scarsdale Road
North York, Ontario
M3B 2R2
Toll Free: 1 (888) SKY-DISH

-----Original Message-----
<mailto:k.konechny@shaw.ca> ]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 1:13 PM
To: info@expressvu.com
Subject: The Masters in HDTV

Hi

Is see you do not have The Masters in your HDTV program listings. Is it
going to be televised. I sure hope I was not another pawn sucked into
clever marketing, there has been far too much of this going on latley.
Also can you people crank up your Expresvu ads a little more? My
neighbour is complaining that he has to open his window in order to
hear them. As for you the CSR who has to read this. Don't take offense
to this. Just forward to the wanna be in the suit and let him/her deal
with it.

Thank you

LivingLegend
04-11-2002, 02:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

We regret the there is not time frame when "The Masters" will be available in our HDTV listing. This is beyond our control with the broadcaster. However, we can provide you with other programming that may be of interest.

<hr></blockquote>

Um, this answer is complete and utter crap! According to CBS' schedule, the Masters will be in HD:

Thursday &amp; Friday 4 PM - 6:30 PM (eastern time)
Saturday 3:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Sunday 2:30 PM - 7 PM

So, how is there "not time frame...available?" The ONLY scheduled HD those times will conflict with is the PBS demo loop. At worst, it might bump into the beginning of ABC's Sunday movie it the golf runs long.

I sure hope this is another case of the customer service left hand not knowing what the programming right hand is doing. As I recall, most of CBS' Final Four coverage in HD also didn't appear in BEV's HD listings, but we still got the full meal deal (crap though it was).

The guy(s) pulling the HD switches at BEV seem to be extremely dedicated to maximizing our HD content despite their limited resources. I'm holding out hope they'll come through for us again this weekend. 'Cause, if we're denied the green green grass of Georgia for a warmed over hockey game replay or, worse, yet another trip down the Azlea Trail, there will be hell to pay!

Guess we'll get our first indication later this afternoon...

HiDefBob
04-11-2002, 02:52 PM
The Masters WILL be telecast on Star Choice in HDTV today, Friday, Saturday and Sunday -

Thursday April 11 ... 1-3pm (live)
Friday April 12 ..... 1-3pm (live)
Saturday April 13 ... 12:30-3pm (live)
Sunday April 14 ..... 11am-3:30pm (live)

Also this from HDTV Magazine -
EDITORS NOTE:

In order to clarify confusion which seems to exists on various message boards, please note there WILL be HDTV coverage all four days of The Masters on the CBS HD Network.

RUU
04-11-2002, 06:57 PM
I'd be surprised if they don't show it.
If you want some more leverage, though, someone tell Geoff that Bruce Springsteen is performing at "halftime"... there'll be some 'switches" thrown then by golly /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

snoman
04-11-2002, 07:22 PM
It's on the Star Choice IPG for 4:00 p.m. on 290 so SC is showing the game. Is it on BEV's IPG yet?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-11-2002, 07:29 PM
No, it's not in Bevs PG, a Hockey game is. But the Hockey game was supposed to start at 3 EST but the PBS demo loop is playing. Pretty much goes to show you they've bailed on the Hockey game. Gee, I wonder why.

Arthur
04-11-2002, 08:10 PM
The hockey has been switched to the other channel and Golf is now in the guide, they must be hard at work getting the job done at the last minute.

I was so close to putting in the call to *C.

Arthur
04-11-2002, 08:13 PM
Houston we have lift off.

Good job bell.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-11-2002, 08:15 PM
I'm now on Rogers and the Masters is NOT on the cbshd channel. CBS's website confirms that it is being broadcast so I'm guessing the Detroit channel decided not to carry it. It is not on the Rochester CBS or the west coast CBS feed either (not that it matters). Not only is it not hd, it's only available on TSN in analog. I didn't know that Detroit could do this, are they a network station or an affiliate?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-11-2002, 08:22 PM
They switched it to the Masters. They must have had a lot of calls in Detroit. The guide for tomorrow is still saying "Judge Mathis".

Arthur
04-11-2002, 08:22 PM
Where is bell getting the feed from, it's not on their reg channels.

Ranger_Gord
04-11-2002, 08:26 PM
Probably their friend Charlie (WCBS-DT feed to E*)

Arthur
04-11-2002, 08:29 PM
The Mit-sue-bitchie commercials are cool.

How is the *C feed, bell had a couple of glitches at the first but all is well now.

Dede
04-12-2002, 09:48 AM
On *C: Started watching around 4:15, everything is OK, a few frames are dropped or breakup on occasion, nothing to detract from the show.

Couple of things I observed:

1-Holy edge-enhancement! from the camera on the 12th (or was it 11th?) green! Wow, from the slight overhead shot, players with dark clothes had thin eery white halos around them that was just unbelievealbe!

2-John Daly is well ...ugly. Somethings shouldn't be seen in HI-Def! Why do I keep thinking "Shrek" when you get a close up of his face? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Geoff
04-12-2002, 12:19 PM
Dede, alot of the shots are SD .Perhaps that's what your seeing on the 12th.

Dede
04-12-2002, 04:18 PM
Yes, and those are easy to spot. Most of those are from the fairways. The shot I'm thinking is from this camera &amp; hole (how many balls can you see /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ):
http://home.attbi.com/~jyoung400/Masters.jpg

Check the end of this thread about the EE:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=132358&amp;perpage=20&amp;pagen umber=2

GOD
04-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Hmmm...looks like the time Sony-you-know , Snoman , filthy and my self were out for a round . Of course everyone knows that the ball closest to the hole is mine , while the other 2 on the ruff are Sno's and Sony's and of course our bud Filthy was aiming at the ducks in the pond ...thus you all know where his ball is at . We had a fun afternoon but as usual I drank free at the end of the day and gave the guys a few lessons after out on the driving range . /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Oh...BTW...playing golf with Filthy...definitely is like a PVR...you will never play the same again ! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

konechny
04-13-2002, 11:47 PM
Was it me or did coverage not seem as crisp and vibrant as some of the demo loops. Was it upconverted?

mowitch
04-14-2002, 01:53 AM
Masters' s on HDTV seemed to have differing qualities of video captured by the different camera locations on the back nine. Some shots were not as crisp as others. Seemed like they were using long range view camera which did distort Tiger especially. I wonder if they mixed and maxed video resolution for certain shots. Sound production was a bit sloppy .crashes, hollow tunnels, dual announcer playbacks, etc. But overall, great to see HDTV film for this almost live event. They did manage to capture some real quick turnaround times for the replayed almost live holes.

I changed back to Global to see if production was smooother, but found the video quite fuzzy there too but overall production appeared to be following the same script. Really liked 12 hole with bridge.

Last round tomorrow, and will be excellent golf to watch. I think it's 10:30 am PST, but do check your guide on this.

Geoff
04-14-2002, 02:24 AM
Remember there's alot of SD mixed in with the HD.

konechny
04-14-2002, 02:57 AM
Okay. I did notice that. On some shots the picture was wider than my screen (high end 6x4 peice of gyprock, painted)on others it was within the borders.

JCL
04-14-2002, 09:23 AM
I remember last year CBS didn't mix SD with HD. They only had HD cameras from the 13th hole onwards. So we saw only limited action.

It seems to me, CBS is mixing SD with HD a helluva lot more this year. First of all, I think the close race at the top (with the Tiger catching up with Goosen) tempted the HD team to "borrow" shots from SD on the HD-less 8th, 9th and 10th on Saturday -- so viewers weren't caught in the dark.

In extending the HD coverage to the 11th, I think CBS is compromising on HD camera placements for a few other spots: notice that they're not showing the tee shots in a lot of holes? Except the 18th. It seems that they don't have HD cameras for the tee shots. And if someone hit their shot into the bushes or behind trees, only a portable SD camera can make it to the spot.

And unlike like year's ad-free HD telecast, this year they squeezed in a whole bunch of ads for Mitsubishi HD TV sets. To the people who are watching the HD feed with HDTV's, are they supposed to ditch their existing set and opt for a Mitsubishi one? I think the ads are really aiming at people who are watching the HD feed from stores.

So the HD coverage isn't great. But all in all, its acceptable.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-14-2002, 08:22 PM
I agree it is not a great picture, but, acceptable. Why is it that, some of the white stripe shirts flicker on/off like a neon sign? Did anyone else notice that?

konechny
04-15-2002, 12:19 AM
There were many fluctuations in lighting. They only had a few HD cams out there, plus you could really notice the sun going in and out of the clouds.

JCL
04-17-2002, 12:54 AM
There should be a new rule: If the program is advertised as an HD production, it should be 100%. None of these frequent switches between SD and HD should occur. If it is absolutely necessary to use an SD shot, inform the viewers.

On the 12th, when Tiger was walking across the bridge, the announcer was plugging HDTV and said something like "... HDTV, 6 times the clarity of regular TV....", what do have on screen that very second? Tiger on the bridge in SD!!

konechny
04-18-2002, 05:51 PM
Good point, Did you happen to see the bunker shot in HD? You could practically count grains of sand!!! Antways I think they only had a hand full of HD cams out there, so that is why it is mixed , I think

mowitch
04-19-2002, 01:28 AM
I didn't think HD did John Daly any favors on his close ups.. Got to give him credit he keeps hanging in there.