PDA

View Full Version : Balcony Installation

GaryE
04-09-2002, 02:42 PM
I'm in the process of moving into an apartment (renting) and I have decided to get a dish but have a few questions about installation on a balcony.

1. Does the dish have to be grounded on a balcony? It is all concrete. What would I attach the ground too?

2. Since the building does not allow the dish to be anchored to the building I have been thinking of fastening the dish to a board and using C clamps to mount the dish to the side of balcony. I will have no (metal) railing. Any other ideas for installation?

3. How do most of you get the cable into the apartment? Drill a hole in the window or door frame? Is it allowed?

4. Anyone know of a website that talks about balcony installation?

Thanks!

mikealex
04-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Can't really help with most of your questions, but one method I have seen to mount a dish on a balcony is to get a metal bucket, a straight pole, and some concrete. Stick the pole in the bucket, and fill it with concrete, trying to get the pole as vertical as possible, then mount the dish to the pole. I haven't done this myself (I live in a house, so my dish is on the roof), but I have seen it, and it works.

McDeath
04-09-2002, 03:13 PM
I ran into much of the same problems with my strata "Nazis".

What I ended up doing was getting a 2" PVC pipe and zap strapping it to my railing. I then used a couple or exhaust pipe clamps to clamp the dish to the PVC pipe. It sounds ghetto but it's been up for 2 years with no problems.

It gets extremely windy where I live, and I have never had a problem. But I do replace the zap straps (I use about 10 of them) every 6 months or so.'

The reason I zap strapped it to the railing was strata wanted a $100 deposit for any dish perminitly mounted to your unit. Even though I used zap straps, strata came back to me and wanted the $100. I should just lag bolt that mother to my deck now that I've paid my deposit, but I'm too lazy to take it down and re-install it.

tat2
04-09-2002, 05:15 PM
As for your cabling, either use the existing hole from the cable TV install (thats what I did), just pull out the cable line bundle it all nice nice for the next trenant and the fish yours through and re-caulk it. If there is no hole you can buy flat cables that will fit under your balcony door. You really don't want to get off on the wrong foot with a new landlord.

As for mounting I have seen 3 ways, 1) bucket and concret 2)bloted to board that is then clamped to vertical railing adn 3) the one i used, a antenna tripod from Radio Shack ($50), 3' of PVC and patio stones to weigh it down. IT been up for 1 1/2 and no problems. I also added some aircraft aluminum wire attached to the dish as a saftey incase the wind ever got hold of it.

tvman
04-09-2002, 11:44 PM
My friend in an apartment condo has screwed his dish mount to a square sidewalk block that sits on the balcony near the sliding glass door. Dish is low and almost hidden from outsiders, and the satellite signal passes over the balcony railing. Officially dishes are FORBIDDEN at his condo.

He used a 24" square block but I think you could go to a 16" or maybe smaller, depending on how much wind is expected and the size of the dish. Also he put a garbage bag over the dish to hide it even more. He drilled a hole in the wall near the floor for the coax cable (easily filled later).

GaryE
04-16-2002, 04:05 AM
OK... thanks for the ideas. One question though... Does the dish have to be grounded? I will be on the fifth floor and was wondering how i could ground the dish or if I have to?

mikealex
04-16-2002, 11:07 AM
Grounding is for lightning protection. The dish will work without it.

ClassicSat
04-16-2002, 01:07 PM
More accurately static charge dissipation, from nearby lightning strikes. Nothing will save you from a direct lightning strike.

snoman
04-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Classic has it right.
That little chunk of metal won't dissipate 4 billion volts of electricity.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-16-2002, 04:15 PM
Easiest way to bring the cable in from the balcony is to use a ribbon cable through the door or a window. No drilling, no extra holes, no damage.

We have done lots of customers this way.

Sputnik
04-24-2002, 05:13 PM
I had a ballcony mount before and all I did was rotate the main mounting pole that came with the dish so it was basically backwards and vertical and then attached the base of it to a small piece of plywood. The dish was not even visable from the street because it was bellow the balcony railing. Check the look angle for where you live and then you can figure out how low you can mount your dish. The look angle is much steeper than it appears on the dish due to the fact that the LNB is angled down. you just have to clear the railing, if you mount it too high up then you have to worry about the ballcony above you, unless you decide to but the dish near or attached the railing itself.

As for cabling, if there is a Airconditoning unit you can fit the cable between it and the wall that it is mounted in. Most of those Airconditioning units pull right out of the wall for servicing (once you take the inside cover off) , they are not even screwed in. In my old appartment eveyone had power cords going between the AC unit and the wall so they could run their christmas lights, so I just followed suit but put a coax cable through instead.

Hope you install goes well

**DONOTDELETE**
04-24-2002, 08:16 PM
This glass mount might help.

http://www.onglass.com/

Warren
04-25-2002, 05:08 PM
There is a wealth of information at www.dbsforums.com (http://www.dbsforums.com)
Check out their technical backgrounders and the discussion forums.