PDA

View Full Version : when to get BEV

**DONOTDELETE**
04-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Hi,
I'm new here (and to the satellite world). I was reading through the messages and found some about Bell changing the dishes to accomodate a new satellite they'll be using.

I was planning on getting BEV in July but should I wait until the new dishes come out to save on the hassle?

mikealex
04-09-2002, 02:13 PM
Well, nobody really knows when the new dishes will be out. Likely not until sometime next year. Personally, I wouldn't wait. If you get a 20"+ dish, instead of the 18", you may not need to change the dish, just the LNB.

noelk
04-09-2002, 07:15 PM
Definately do NOT wait. The new satellite, and hence the possible need for a new dish, won't be up and running until sometime in 2003 at the earliest. Given past practices in the industry, it's likely (a) lower volume channels (such as French & HDTV) will be moved to a new satellite position, meaning most users - perhpas even yourself - won't need access to this second satellite; and (b) those that do need a new dish may get it free.

In satellite, as with many consumer electronics, there's always something "just around the corner". For me, unless it's 95% certain it's less than 2 months away, I never wait for what may take years to come.

Noel

jconnor
04-09-2002, 08:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I was planning on getting BEV in July but should I wait until the new dishes come out to save on the hassle?

<hr></blockquote>
Why wait until July. Join the party now!
I also second (or third) the previous comments, if the technology meets your needs/requirements today, go for it. Otherwise you might wait forever.
I guarantee that technology will change after you buy it. If you wait until it changes, then buy it, it will change again.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-09-2002, 08:36 PM
would I have the option to buy the larger dish?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Dear god man , don't hold off !!! Heaven only knows what an entry level package will cost you by then at Bell ! I can see them having the minimum sub level up at 30 by Fall .

mikealex
04-09-2002, 09:37 PM
Do you mean now, or when they get their 2nd bird flying?

I'm sure they will have a way for current subscribers to get a larger dish if needed when the 2nd bird is up.

If you mean now, I'm sure you can, but you may have to wait for a store to order one for you. Also, last time I was in Costco, their packages all had a larger dish.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-09-2002, 10:30 PM
There is really no point in getting a larger dish except if you want a stronger signal...both the current 18" and 24" dishes sold by expressvu lack skew adjustment needed for dual satellite reception.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-09-2002, 11:44 PM

the current 18" and 24" dishes sold by expressvu lack skew adjustment needed for dual satellite reception

<hr></blockquote>

...WOW!....Who is going to eat the cost of over a million dish upgrades?

......Is it gonna be like *Choice.....If U have a round dish &amp; U want to get into HD....pay for the E-dish yourself?.....

BTW....I'm not really impressed with this...*Choice shoud offer the HDD201+E-Dish as a combo for us round dish subs. JMO

**DONOTDELETE**
04-10-2002, 01:28 PM
I'm waiting for the day Bell decides to offer everything in a bundle. I have a Bell Mobility cellhone, Bell phone line, Bell Sympatico, and soon a BEV dish. I don't really care to have some savings with long distance, which is the case now. I'd rather have a lower bill in the long run.

A bundle may appear in the future as my cousin works for one of the bell monopolies-- I mean, departments, and she told me the employees recently had a contest to come up with a name for such a future bundle (but she wasn't told what the bundle would contain).

I really hope the basic subscription doesn't jump to $30. Actually, isn't it $40? I mean, who's really gonna have the minnimum $20? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

fmr2002
04-10-2002, 01:37 PM
I would expect Bev to upgrade existing customers that have their existing service moved to the second bird, for free. While new customer will have to pay for the service. It's really likely that french services/HD services will move to the new position so they don't need to upgrade 1M customers.

fmr2002
04-10-2002, 01:38 PM

WOW!....Who is going to eat the cost of over a million dish upgrades?

<hr></blockquote>
Your BCE shares ?

noelk
04-10-2002, 05:40 PM
I've been waiting for Bell to offer such a package for over two years...and in all that time, I've always been told its 'just around the corner'. I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime, Bell's slow action on this helped convince me to drop my Bell Mobility cell phone.

Noel