PDA

View Full Version : HD to upconvert or demo loop

Arthur
03-13-2002, 05:44 PM
Is it time for a pole?

Which would you prefer

Widescreen upconvert (16:9 not 4:3)
Demo loop

True HD progaming (not demo) would always have PRIORITY.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 05:55 PM
What widescreen upconvert programming are you talking about? There is hardly any. Bev cant make it widescreen if it's not widescreen to begin with. Fox's 480p widescreen stuff I guess.

Most all the programming that some folks are talking about seeing on the HD channel that they dont see now cause of the demo loops is just 4x3 anyway unless you wanna zoom it.

Arthur
03-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Just off the top of my head
Enterprise
Stargate SG1
Dark Angel

You make a good point there would still be plenty of time to run the demo loop over and over.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 06:10 PM
But I still dont get it. The first 2 you mention can only be sourced from 480i (even if it's good 480i like C-band) unless the digital stations in Boston that Bev uses happen to broadcast those shows at some point during the day. Bev isnt doing the upconverting.

If those programs are available on any of Bevs SD channels it wouldnt be any different than putting them on 286 since the source isnt using killer 1080i upconverters like the digital stations are using. However, I would grant you that they'd look somewhat better on 286 only because they're not cramming 8 other SD channels on that transponder like they are for the non HD transponders.

Arthur
03-13-2002, 06:19 PM
I was under the impression that the Super Bowl was only shot in 480i widescreen and upconverted to 480p then bell upconverted to 1080i for my set.
It looked much better on 286 than on 299.

How are the HBO widescreen movies shot that I watch on C band HD with the 201, 480i, 480p?
I'm sure they are upconverts but they blow reg sat away.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 06:28 PM
No, Bell themselves doesnt upconvert anything. Now the 6000 receiver itself is upconverting everything to 1080i if in HD mode, but thats about it. The only reason that a program thats say on global on any channel besides 286, would look better on 286 is because the channel wouldnt be compressed.

Same reason that HBO's non HD channels off C-band look better than it does off any DBS system. They're cramming 8-10 channels on one transponder.

And the actual HBO HD channels on C-band dont really look better than they do on DBS because in the case of HD channels, even DBS pretty much lets the HD channels have a whole transponder to themselves. Give or take maybe sharing it with 1 or 2 SD channels.

All widescreen movies on HBO HD are being uplinked in true 1080i from HBO itself.

Arthur
03-13-2002, 06:32 PM
No the bell 6000 convert to 1080i or 720p take your pick, but yes thats what I was getting at.

Arthur
03-13-2002, 06:35 PM
"All widescreen movies on HBO HD are being uplinked in true 1080i from HBO itself."

Thanks I didn't know that, but they can't all be shot in 1080i are they?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Well most movies are shot on film which actually has more resolution than HD. But for the sake of broadcasting them they use a machine called a telecine which converts them to HD tape. When thats done, it's considered true HD. Though not to be confused wih HD tape like Smart Travels uses which is taped to begin with (with special HD video cams) and being of a whole different nature gives more of a "looking out the window" effect than movies do.

Now Showtime HD on the other hand doesnt always use a telecine machine. Sometimes their widescreen movies are just upconverted in the same way that golf for example is on CBS. So they look better than the movie would in regular 480i, just as the golf does when it's on the digital channel from Boston when they're upconverting it to 4x3 1080i. But not as good as a movie can look if gone through the telecine process.

Arthur
03-13-2002, 06:48 PM
DP1
Thanks for the education, one of the things that got me thinking about upconverts was my first viewing of Stargate SG1 from Showtime, I assumed it was an upconvert, and would take it any day over a demo loop.
Thanks again for your time.

Geoff
03-13-2002, 08:02 PM
Would you take it over Smart Travels?
Maybe you would but I know others wouldn't.Remember Smart Travels is part of the loop.

Before BEV picked up PBS HD the upconvert thing made sense but in my opinion I would not pick upconvert over missing some great PBS HD programs unless these programs start appearing on the IPG.

I'm out.

Arthur
03-13-2002, 09:34 PM
Once you've seen it you've seen it, I think showing it once a month would be ok but only for those that just purchased an HDTV. For me if they showed it twice a year I would probably watch it once.

When I see demo loop in the guide I just tune to something else, If there is anything new I will here about it here and have lots of chances to watch it over the next year.

In the end I hope the #s will decide, the best they can do is to try to please the majority, If thats you Geoff, great enjoy, I'll let my doller speak for what I want, I always do. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif