PDA

View Full Version : More Rogers HD questions

**DONOTDELETE**
03-07-2002, 03:51 AM
I'm still trying to decide if I want to switch from my bev6000 to Rogers HD. I went to the Rogers office in Ottawa today trying to get some answers. First, the signs outside told me they don't deal with orders or bill payments anymore - but I went in anyway. Now you are supposed to go to Rogers Video stores for those things. The receptionist called and they don't have any HD info at the stores. I was able to see the tech who trains Rogers staff on their HD equipment. He told me a couple of things I would like to verify.
1. TMN HD is not available in Ottawa yet (?????)
2. There are no event timers on the HD box
3. The 3100 models are the ones being shipped, so that is what I would get.

Also, for the U.S. networks, are they only available in HD when a HD program is being broadcast or are they there all the time. Does that mean I would get 2 sets of U.S. east coast nets?

I'm also not clear on their packages. I know I want basic channels, timeshifting, tmn & superstations and a few of the digital channels but I don't want to buy the $96/month package and I'm not sure if there are more reasonable packages with what I want.

Also, it ticks me off that the digital output on the receiver is only active with digital channels. That mean I would have to use to inputs on my reciever for t.v. (one digital & one analog).

Any feedback/info appreciated.

Thanks

**DONOTDELETE**
03-07-2002, 05:04 AM
Scooter, I hope I can help with your questions.

1. TMN HD. When exactly did you ask? It became available this morning.
2. The box does have event timers. I think something like six, but could be more.
3. The 3100HD is the new model. They only had 500 of the 2000HDs for all of Ontario.
4. The HD channels are dedicated to the Stations. So, when there is no HD program, you will get the up-converted program. This 4x6 will be enclosed within the 16x9 HD frame. So, if you have a 4x6 HD set, then your non HD image will have a frame around it. This feed is from Detroit.
5. As for the packages, if you went for the full analog deal, plus timeshifting and tmn, then it works out cheaper to get everything. The "Ultimate Digital VIP" package includes the rental of the Digital Terminal. You would then pay $9.00 extra a month for the change from normal Digital Terminal to HD Terminal.

Yes, it is a pain with the analog outputs. I don't bother with the analog outs to my receiver. If there is anything that needs the better sound, it will be either on a Digital station, or in HD.

You will need two inputs on your tv. One for HD and one for S-Video.

Element
03-08-2002, 02:52 PM
By the way, I ordered it yesterday (toronto) and was put on the waiting list. 3 weeks at least until it arrives...

**DONOTDELETE**
03-09-2002, 06:18 AM
TorontoViewer - Thanks for the response. There are definitely a lot of things that I don't like about the way things will work with Rogers - but it comes down to more hd content so I have to give it a try.

Element - That is really annoying. I was told today that they were in stock and it would take about 3 days to get one. I've never had more difficulty getting straight answers than I have had talking to rogers in the last week. I hope this is worth it in the end.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-09-2002, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I hope this is worth it in the end.

<hr></blockquote> It is. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-11-2002, 07:39 PM
3100? Hmm wonder if I can get my 2000 swapped for a 3100 now then? Damned thing still drops out and cuts out audio. Sooo annoying. (But the PQ and variety is still better than ExVu)

**DONOTDELETE**
03-11-2002, 08:08 PM
I have noticed some dropouts in the last couple of weeks too. I think it maybe source related.