PDA

View Full Version : Way way off topic...what kind of tires to buy

Chaos
03-04-2002, 08:00 PM
I know this is really off topic...but I have to get myself some new rubber and you guys are the most helpful bunch I have ever meet.
Anyway, I have a Civic and would like some thing all season but with a little bit of performance enhancement. I have heard that BFG's are the way to go....but really have no idea.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Price to some degree is not a factor (i don't want to spend more $150/tire).

Once again thanks guys.

ddire
03-04-2002, 08:08 PM
As a pervious Civic owner and current Accord owner I would ask under what weather condition your tires will be used it.

My recommendation:

Winter: BFG Winter Slalom (sp?) The Best tire I have ever used.

Summer: Michelin: a great tire. I currently have the Energy model. Not very agressive but an amaizing tire, winter use is very acceptable here in Halifax. Good in the rain and the Accord really hangs on.

Todd_Sandrock
03-04-2002, 08:38 PM
I'd concur on the Michelins, but for winter, nothing but Pirelli Assimetrico/Direzionale Winter Ice for me.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/pirelli/pi_win_ice_a.jsp

Although next set I may try the Toyo Garit, with the funky walnut shells for extra traction--studs are illegal here in Ontario.

http://www.1010tires.com/listtire.asp?brand=Toyo&cat=Winter&subcat=High+Per formance&model=Garit+HT&source=brand

Grunge
03-05-2002, 12:18 AM
I've been running on "walnuts" for the past two winters here in Calgary. I would recommend the Toyos.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-05-2002, 06:07 PM
After two Accords, I have to agree that the Micheline Energy tires performed fine for me in summer conditions. Of course, I'm not doing any high performance style driving. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The only traction problem I had was in starting from a light, in wet, on the white line, no surprise there.

For winter, I have the Micheline Artic Alpin tires and they simply are the best tire I've ever driven on in snow / ice conditions. No hesitation, grip when you need it, sound and vibration is minimal.