PDA

View Full Version : Cable Digital Boxes-What are the differences?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-02-2002, 12:47 AM
I was just curious on how many different Cable Digital Boxes are in the market places and which cable company uses which ones. What are the features on them?

As I have Rogers and have 2 Digital Boxes, a 3100 the other 2000 HD. I find both boxes great,especially the PIG and guide. I have to say the SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA models for their guide is way better than BEV's & SC(the one's I have that is.Not sure about the BEV-1000,3500,3100,4700 or 5100 as I don't have them to compare to Rogers).

So if someone with the info on this can you explain the differences. And I went to Scientific web site, the really didn't help.But according to the site it says they have a PVR,yet Rogers says tey don't.Now unless I read the info wrong on the PVR, I could be mistaken.

PEACE UP TOM /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-02-2002, 02:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

But according to the site it says they have a PVR,yet Rogers says tey don't.Now unless I read the info wrong on the PVR, I could be mistaken.

<hr></blockquote> They have or at least they say that they have a PVR. The problem is that nobody has actually seen it in operation. I know that Rogers is testing a PVR in the Pickering/Oshawa area, but nothing more than that. The latest I'd heard was that they had experienced some problems with these units, and were working on fixing the problems before rolling them out.

Bill_R
03-02-2002, 02:24 AM
Our cable company says that they will have a PVR box by this summer. They say they will be using the SA 8000. Last fall they said that the box would be available by spring. It looks like SA is having some problems getting the bugs out.

Bill R

travisc
03-02-2002, 04:05 AM
Last I heard from Rogers, they are testing PVR, but have no plans for a rollout anytime soon.

The 8000 does have a PVR, but it's not scheduled for release until 3rd quarter of 2002 or thereabouts.

Motorola is supposedly integrating a PVR into their DCT-2000 series... The DCT-2600 will have one. Our cablesystem uses Motorola, as does Shaw, I believe, as well as lots of other small systems.

DC_Guy
03-02-2002, 07:22 AM
Motorola is pretty much the standard in Canada for D-Cab boxes...

SA technology is good (in fact very good), but the costs associated with going the SA route simply don't make business sense for many cable ops.

Why bother having to re-digitize the signal in a new format (DVB) when you can simply pass along the already-existing stream (DCII) of the majority of your signals to your customers.

For the most part, you'll find tonnes of DCT-1000's on the market... these are the most common boxes... there are some DCII units out there with S-Video as well, but for the most part, Joe and Mary Average are taking the basic box.

As for PVRs in D-Cab boxes, while the technology is here, I question how many ops will actually deploy the technology. With VOD here TODAY, why invest more in new boxes? I know -- there should be a wide variety of products for the consumer to choose from, but you also need a standard for equipment.

I feel bad for ANY *C CSR out there today... they need to know the nuances/menus/oddities of a 921, 401, 410, 421B, 421C and the 301 just to get by in any given day. (Yes I know the CSRs south of the border have even bigger headaches...)

But simplicity CAN be a good thing, and by keeping the number of models in the wild down to 1 or 2 isn't a bad idea. It makes supporting the gear 100 times easier.