PDA

View Full Version : HDTV . . not ready IMO.

Danks
03-01-2002, 06:30 PM
Once again I checked out the sets at Future Shop. My companion insisted on encouraging the sales people.
One of the things that has impressed me with the new RPTVs on display is the feature showing an aerial overview of Canada. (Wings Over Canada??)

Anyhow the shots are very impressive on the Sony 57 inch widescreen model. I thought they had to be HD. Sales guy said, no. It is just a DVD. Is this so? I can not imagine what 1080i HDTV must look like if he is telling the truth.

Still though, as this group proves everyday, there just is not enough stuff available in any consistent quality to justify purchasing a set for HD yet. And what about this DVI input question? You can buy a set today that will not be able to accommodate HD programming a year from now. Am I wrong on that?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-01-2002, 07:22 PM
Well as far as enough stuff available, thats a descision that is best left up to each indvidual. You may think there's not enough to justify purchase, I may think there is.

As far as DVI it is a big concern. It's just a question of just how big a concern. It could be that if implememnted certain programming will not be available in full HD. Primarily things like first run PPV and things like that. As far as it pertains to Network HD and movie services the content isnt as likely to be constrained (though anything is possible) for various reasons.

Finaly, you yourself pointed out a reason why many folks have purchased HDTV's. A much better DVD viewing experience. Which is what explains why over 2 million HDTV ready sets having been sold, but yet only about 400K HD decoders. Apparently alot of folks love their HD sets even though they havent invested in a means to actually see true HD on them.

Todd_Sandrock
03-01-2002, 09:22 PM
I'm the other way: I have HDTV, but a non-progrssive DVD player on a 4:3 TV. My DVD experience is marginal, actually pretty disappointing. I'm upgrading real soon to PS unit.

The HDTV stuff rocks, though.

Dede
03-05-2002, 03:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr>

Still though, as this group proves everyday, there just is not enough stuff available in any consistent quality to justify purchasing a set for HD yet

<hr></blockquote>
That really depends on the night. Tonight, Tuesday, the schedule is full:

PBS: at 7:30, Smart Travels

From 8:00 to 11:00
From CBS: JAG, The Guardian, Judging Amy
From ABC: Dharma and Greg, Spin City, NYPB Blues, Philly

NBC: 11:35, Jay Leno

If NBC decides to start showing some HDTV programming, we'll need a third Hi-def channel!!