View Full Version : Is my receiver posessed???

02-28-2002, 12:24 AM
What is wrong with my receiver?!? I have a Bell ExpressVu 4700 receiver, and it seems posessed sin ce I returned to work!!

This morning, before I left for work, my receiver was all fine, I could get all channels. I didn't check the exact signal strenght, since I had no reason to do so, but I guess it ws about 86-89, as it always is.

At 5pm, when I returned, there was no signal on even transponders, but it still was at 86-89 on the odd ones. On my 1000, everything was working.

So, I press the front panel button, hoping that's all and would takem and... Now I have no signal whatsoever on my 4700! I go check outside, the cable seems fine, but I still move the 1000 to see if it's the cables.. sure enought, it was the cables.. But how could it change like that if no-one was home for the first time, and more importantly when all I did was close/open my receiver???

The night falls, and I eat my dinner, but when I came back.. A Whooping 94% signal strenght!!! 94% on a BEV 18 incher!?! WTH!?! I didn't even touch it..

But, now, the signal is once again gone on odd transponders, but still at 94% on the even ones.

Now can anybody tell me what is wrong with my receiver!?! HELP!!!

02-28-2002, 12:36 AM
A connection can go bad at any time, there is always power to the LNB and the guide is always updateing.

If I understand you correctly you have narrowed it down to a bad connection from the LNB to the dish on the cable that runs to the 4700 or a bad LNB.

Whiggle the cable on the back of the 4700 that comes from the dish. If the signal cuts in and out it's the RG6 cable connector.
If not go out to the dish and tug lightly on the cables that go to the LNB while someone watches the signal on the 4700.
If that still does not bring the signal back remove the LNB and switch the 2 cables. than check to see if the problem has changed to the 1000. If it has you need an LNB.

02-28-2002, 02:53 AM
Weeb I know of a good Exorcist. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/monkes.gif

03-02-2002, 12:33 AM
The same thing happened to me. The grounding block outside the house got some moisture into it and corroded the end of the cables. After buying a new grounding block ($5), and putting on new connectors, problem solved.

03-02-2002, 02:48 AM
I'll do then when I have the time, I thought it might be that. Anyway, everything has been working fine since that day, and I didn't touch anything, so i guess the wind put it back into place! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif