PDA

View Full Version : widescreen option

gavorney
02-26-2002, 09:05 PM
I have a widescreen TV, and have set my BEV 3700 to "16X9" in the "picture size" menu. There is no effect. Is this feature enabled in any of the other BEV receivers? It would be great to get ch299 full-screen with the proper aspect ratio. Why would this be an option in the menu, yet be disabled?

Thanks, Gavorney

Arthur
02-26-2002, 11:26 PM
the 6000 set to zoom will do the trick

mikealex
02-27-2002, 01:35 AM
I also have a widescreen TV, but I believe the 16x9 setting is there in case something is ever broadcast in anamorphic widescreen.

JCL
02-28-2002, 05:49 PM
I know ch 299 is widescreen, but is it the "anamorphic" type? Anamorphic would actually help with BEV's bandwidth problem: instead of wasting valuable bandwidth on transmitting the black bars on top and bottom of your screen, they can just transmit what's between the bars (i.e. the widescreen picture).

Dede
02-28-2002, 08:01 PM
"instead of wasting valuable bandwidth on transmitting the black bars on top and bottom of your screen, they can just transmit what's between the bars (i.e. the widescreen picture). "

Huh? From what I understand of mpeg compression, black bars certainly take up less bandwidth to transmit than a moving picture no?

mikealex
02-28-2002, 09:31 PM
"Huh? From what I understand of mpeg compression, black bars certainly take up less bandwidth to transmit than a moving picture no? "

Definitely! Anamorphic works by adding about 25% more horizontal lines. An mpeg decoder that is set for 4x3 mode will remove every 4th line before displaying the picture. If the decoder is set for 16x9, then it won't remove the lines, and leave it for the TV to figure out.