PDA

View Full Version : BEV HDTV

snoman
02-24-2002, 11:39 PM
I was at FS this afternoon and they had the HD Olympics from NBC. The PQ was nice but there sure was a lot of artifacts in the high speed portions of the skating.
Obviously there isn't much bandwidth being allocated to HDTV from what I saw today.

jconnor
02-24-2002, 11:56 PM
I don't doubt what you saw but I would never make an assessment of PQ, SQ or any other Q based on a demonstration at future shop. I've seen XBRs and TAUs ($2000+) look like cr*p next to $499 sets, just because of the way fs had set them up. I'd go and view (and buy) at a real HT shop before passing judgement.

Geoff
02-25-2002, 04:15 AM
That's 1080i you saw snoman.
720p should be used for quick motion sports such skating etc.
This has nothing to do with BEV.

alkeown
02-25-2002, 04:48 PM
I watched some of the Olympics from the NBC network feed on my BUD. The PQ was definitely better than the BEV PQ of the same programing. It's my belief that BEV use less than the 19 mbps data rate available. I posted a message on the AVS forum stating the same and was told that I probably had a technical problem. I still believe that BEV is constrained by bandwidth and that they fudge a little bit every place they can. I saw a PBS station in the States try to simulcast a HD and SD signal which resulted in the HD programming data rate being reduced to 14 mbps. The picture looked very much like the BEV Olympics PQ.

Al K

**DONOTDELETE**
02-25-2002, 05:40 PM
Well I thought even the HDNet feed looked better and had less issues than the Bev feed. But thats not to say it's necessarily Bevs fault. It could also be that the NBC affiliate in Boston is still having some issues in getting it dialed in right since they've only been passing 1080i for a short period of time.

Lot of variables at play especially when something is being retransmitted 2 or 3 times.

I_M_Norm_Al
02-25-2002, 05:42 PM
Funny, you should mention that 14 mbps number - I heard a couple of rumors that some NBC DT affiliates were actually broadcasting Olympics HD at that rate