PDA

View Full Version : Any indication BEV will get 'new' PVR's??

RIckP
02-24-2002, 01:02 AM
DISHNetwork is about to release two new PVR's soon. The 508 - same as the 501 but with an 80gb HD and the 721 -dual tuners, internet terminal (NOT Web TV, bring your own ISP) and 120 GB drive, also supposedly able to 'spilt' the tuners into two 'seperate' receivers. Any word of BEV is going to offer either/both??

Rob
02-24-2002, 04:26 PM
508 sounds like something that would be slipped into production. Basically when the run out of the old HD the new ones will get used. I doubt BEV will get the 721. It's a more basic model then the combobox. The combobox is closer to the Moxi receiver then the 721. The Combobox starts with the 721 and adds some added features.

Bill_R
02-25-2002, 12:40 AM
The 721 IS the same hardware as the combo box with not all its features enabled when it first ships.

Bill R

Rob
02-25-2002, 01:09 PM
Since when? They got Echostar working on the STB section but they had Nextland working on the internet stuff. Echostar has only claimed that the 721 will be able to connect to the internet. The combobox is supposed to be a whole house sort of thing. Providing gateway services.

Marc
03-02-2002, 03:37 AM
The 721 has always been BEV's combo-box. My guess is that since Bev is an ISP in many parts of the country and has DSL/Dial-up AND DirecPC options, they probably will have a very different interface for the internet portion than Dish which has to rely on third-part ISPs.

This is where Bev, I'm sure, has invested its money in the combo-box.

There was never any discussion of Bev having any type of sharing for their TV service like what Moxie provides.

I think that with MS shutting down their Personal TV division and Dish buying DTV, there's a good chance that future PVRs will all be based on Dish's current tech, migrating to Moxie later on. Since they own the IPG, I kind of see Tivo tech being a little redundant. Sure Tivo's got some cool search and learning tech, but this can be developed without having to add to Tivo's dial up requirements for upgrades.

Rob
03-02-2002, 04:36 PM
How can it be the same thing if it will have a different internet section? It may be similar but not the same. Yes the satellite section may be the exact same but the boxes don't sound the same.

Echostar has stated that the 721 can run two sets. Each tuner running a different sets of outputs. That was why people worried that Echostar would charge a second receiver fee for the box.

Moxie is just software right? They are putting out a reference design but basically they are a software company. Is there any reason something like the 721 couldn't be upgraded by Echostar? Obviously with a lower hardware standard but the same software base.

Bill_R
03-03-2002, 01:47 AM
Posted by Rob:
Quote: Echostar has stated that the 721 can run two sets. Each tuner running a different sets of outputs.

Rob,

I don't know where you heard that but it is completely wrong. The 721 does have TWO tuners and yes, there two outputs, but both outputs show the same thing. On the 721 you can NOT have one tuner on one output and the other tuner on the other output

And Moxie is both hardware AND software. You won't be seeing anything with Moxie until at least fourth quarter, 2002. Everything shown at CES concerning Moxie was just a mockup (the software showed what was possible but wasn't actually functional).

And as I said before, the 721 IS the combo box. It may have different features (implemented via software) but the hardware is the same.

Bill R

**DONOTDELETE**
03-03-2002, 02:34 AM
Also saw that Moxie may be running into major financial problems before they get to market, might need a partner to bail them out, forget where I read that, will post if I remember.

Rob
03-03-2002, 02:00 PM
What's the point of having both sets of outputs putting out the same output? The idea behind two tuners is being able to watch one and record a second. From rereading the latest press release from echostar. It's capable of recording two independent sources and playing a prerecorded one out of the outputs at the same time. It also mentions PIP. I can't see the need of having the exact same image used for PIP. Maybe I'm missing it but it doesn't make sense to me.

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=dish&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=244540&sstring=721

From the joint Echostar/Moxie press release

"today announced that the two companies are collaborating on the development of an advanced software platform"

Now from reading some of the stuff on the Moxie website it sounds like they will develop hardware for you if you want.

Bill_R
03-03-2002, 03:46 PM
Rob,

The 721 will do exactly what you posted. You can watch one RECORDED program and record TWO other ones. However, you still wil NOT be able to output DIFFERENT programs on the two outputs. You can switch betwen them though.

There are already two tuner DirecTvios PVRs (Sony, Phillips, and Hughes) on the market and they work exactly the same way. NONE of them allow DIFFERENT outputs on their two outputs. To do that would require much more expensive hardware (two sets of digital to analog converters and other associated circuitry).

Bill R

**DONOTDELETE**
03-09-2002, 04:18 AM
Bill,

I understand what you're saying, but how do you reconcile that with PIP like Rob mentioned??? (ie., for this box to be useful with PIP it would need to send two different analog output streams)

(and imagine how costly this new box will be, given the price on the old 5100 has just gone UP to $649, not down like I expected it would)

I_M_Norm_Al
03-09-2002, 01:56 PM
From a business prospective, I would be surprised that BEV will continue to subsidize any hardware except entry level. Why should they? Most new subs buy entry level product, so most higher level sales are to existing subs - which generates no new cash flow for BEV.

They have no competition for these products from Shaw Choice, so that if the availability of a PVR is the determining factor for sub over SC, customer is going to choose BEV anyways

**DONOTDELETE**
03-17-2002, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Why should they? Most new subs buy entry level product, so most higher level sales are to existing subs...
They have no competition for these products from Shaw Choice

<hr></blockquote>
I think that in the city some new subs buy for HDTV, so their first product is the 6000.
And BEV indeed has (best of breed) competition for that product, namely HD Digital Cable.