PDA

View Full Version : BEV, SC & CABLE HOW DO THEY RECIEVE THEIR SIGNALS?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-23-2002, 03:15 AM
I understand that basically there are 3 ways BEV, SC & Cable companies receive their signals. OTA, Fibre, and SAT. Know I persume OTA is the Cheapest, but receiving it from fibre (point of orgin to head end of BEV, SC & cable companies distribution centre) or using CanCom(I think thats the company, cable & DTH companies use for their signals for some channnels) which of the two is cheaper. And would using fibre be the best considering that there's no weather related problems, either than the posablity of have the fibre link cut? THANKS TOM /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

PEACE UP TOM /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ClassicSat
02-24-2002, 03:21 PM
Fibre is cheapest for point to point. There is also terrestrial microwave, which is cheaper than fibre (but
potentially weather sensitive)

Bev and SC recieve most of their stuff from fibre,
the US cable stuff from satellite (BEV to one uplink
site, SC's uplinks are scattered across Canada).

SC might re-upling some of the Cancom stuff on C-band. Cable recives almost
exclusively Cancom services, and what it does not it
gets from antenna or microwave.

DC_Guy
02-24-2002, 06:05 PM
Cable uses OTA (in some areas - not all), coax (in some areas), fibre feed, Star Choice, Expressvu and Cancom Broadcast (Powervu Signals) reception. Some still use C-Band for some feeds, but most of the time its easier to have one dish pointed at one satellite pulling down the signals. HITS is a reality in Canada not only for the digi-nets, but for many main services as well.