PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of Gretzky's whine ?

Grunge
02-20-2002, 03:14 AM
I must confess I have mixed feelings. Part of me is surprised and a bit embarrassed at Gretzky's "why is everybody picking on Canada" speech. It was so out of character for him and at one point I thought he was going to cry. On the other hand, what he said was mostly true, and it took some big gonnies to say it in the public arena with all he has at stake. I think most important to him is his pride. This is the Gold he wanted in Nagano. I think he is also feeling a lot of pressure and probably very frustrated that he can't settle things on the ice like he used to.

What's your take on it? Is Wayne trying to rally the troops? Is he trying to deflect some of the harsh criticism being directed to the team? Is he just fed up?

All I know is I would love to see these guys rally around him and bring home the Gold so Wayne and Co. could rub it in the U.S. and international press's faces.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-20-2002, 03:23 AM
Well it shows that he just like anyone else.A person can only take so much until he or she reaches a piont and then "explodes" I think this "thing" about who he is and what is expected of him has been growing since his hockey days.In away I'm glad he did what he did. It just goes to show you(Gretzky speeking here retorical) "Look I'm not prefect, I'm only human. I have emtions to you known Imake mistakes too".PEACE UP TOM /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ranger_Gord
02-20-2002, 12:20 PM
This team is all a Gretsky creation. Failure of the team = failure of Gretsky. Nevermind that the superior skills of players on other teams are the result of being taught the real hockey skills from childhood - just like Gretsky's own experience. Canada has become a mediocure country since Gretzky was a child. It's much easier to see the extent of the decline looking in from afar like he does now - so I can understand his frustration.

batfink
02-20-2002, 12:32 PM
You would start to panic when you suddenly realize that Canada is potentially sixty minutes from becoming a third world hockey nation and you were in charge...too bad our prime minister doesn't display this kind of passion...

snoman
02-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Yup, it's the decline of the Great Canadian Empire all right.
Mediocredy is what we Canucks excel at it seems doesn't it?
(shaking head)

Of course our own complacency is part of the problem.
Having a jellyfish for a leader doesn't help matters either.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-20-2002, 01:34 PM
I agree it would be nice to see some passion (besides infighting) from our own government. "Gretzky for PRIME MINISTER"

Grunge
02-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Ranger, I partially agree. There is no question that our kids are not learning the skills like the Eurpoeans do. I have often thought we should implement international ice surface and rules for our amateur hockey program to force skills back into the game. Kids are getting so much bigger and stronger these days that there is less room left for the skill players.

Where I disagree is the notion that Canada is no longer the hockey leader. Certainly when each nation puts together their best team, Canada is equal at best. The difference is depth. If each team were required to place two teams into the tournament, the US would be using college kids and other nations would be greatly diluted. I don't think Canada would even notice a difference between their first and second team. Now lets increase that to three teams, how about four teams, five teams. Get my point! No question we are not the best of the best. However, I still believe we are the best overall BUT that this is gradually shrinking.

Satellite_Expert
02-20-2002, 02:51 PM
While Gretzky would certainly not make a good PM, there are many areas in which Gretzky and other retired players could contribute. I'm talking about the skilled players of yesterday. For example they could put time & money into serious skills camps for youngsters - away from all the BS parents and unskilled juvenile coaches who can teach 'win, win, win' & hit em - those who wouldn't know how to teach the mechanics of skating and passing.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-20-2002, 03:51 PM
I read that the % of Canucks in the NHL is now currently 49% meaning less than 1/2 are Canadian.
The rest of the world has caught up , Canada no longer dominates in a big way.
Look at the women and see where men' hockey was in the 60's.
It will take another 10 years for the rest of the world to catch up to us in women's hockey.
They have already done that with the men, the huge NHL contracts are a good reason for anybody to lace up and the US and Euro guys have got the money to pay Canadian coaches to teach their next generation how to play the game.
I think we still dominate curling - /forums/images/icons/smile.gif but who cares.
Kelly Law has the same manager as Brian Adams so if she wins the gold expect to see her everywhere , if the Americans figure that game out our dominance will flag as well.
Which really is a good thing for the sport but tough on Canadian pride no doubt.

Grunge
02-20-2002, 05:59 PM
I would still consider 49% of the world's (arguably) elite players as domination. This reinforces my statement that all of the big 6 hockey nations can field a superstar team but few other than Canada could field two or three.

davidnb
02-21-2002, 10:07 PM
It appeared pressure built up in Gretzky and he let off some steam. Myself, I don't think some of the things he said were planned, they just came out under pressure. The media can be rought and to the point, I think they just got under Gretzky's skin and he blew up.
Team Canada didn't play well the first couple of games, but it appears they are playing good now, with emotion and heart. Yes the 4 or 5 other countries have caught up to us in skill but its still our game.

I hope Team canada wins the Gold and they rub it in the media's faces. Canada was written off after a couple of games as not being a contender. Well things have changed now and they are playing better and as a team.

Go Canada Go

Shadedmuse
02-21-2002, 10:58 PM
I want to see Canada's womans team beat the U.S team and rub that Cammy granadas face in the Ice I can't stand her she seems so full of her self and needs to be knocked of her high horse by team Canada.

Grunge
02-22-2002, 12:33 AM
Shadedmuse, I tend to agree but must admit she stands out among women hockey players, with our own Haley Wickenheiser coming in a close second.

davidnb
02-22-2002, 12:49 AM
I agree 100%. Well its the second period and Canada leads 1-0.

Go Canada Go

PlusONE
02-22-2002, 03:18 AM
Gretzky had every reason to complain. Once again congrats to the ladies who beat US for the Gold medal! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

SatMike
02-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Wasn't that referee just great. We got penalties because some of those u.s. girls could't skate and fell down.

Shadedmuse
02-22-2002, 06:36 PM
U.S Girls can't skate it is funny watching them try. If God wanted U.S girls to skate he would of made the entire U.S have a cold winter. Snow in L.a and Miami sounds good to me.

Grunge
02-22-2002, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure what to make of a sport where both teams cry after every game !

MrVH
02-22-2002, 11:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm not sure what to make of a sport where both teams cry after every game !

<hr></blockquote>
Huh? Even I had to wipe a couple away after that game /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

PlusONE
02-23-2002, 03:41 AM
LOL /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

batfink
02-23-2002, 03:54 AM
When Montreal beat Chicago in a seven game series for the Stanley Cup in 1971, big rookie tough guy Phil Russell of the Hawks cried in his interview...so did I because Montreal won...