PDA

View Full Version : Sony Grand WEGA

sjc
02-18-2002, 12:03 AM
Has anyone checked out this new Sony LCD projection TV yet? From the website, it certainly looks awesome. I would love to sell the second car and get myself one of these, but I'm pretty sure the wife would object to that idea. Too bad.

Just curious if anyone has seen one live with an HD or progressive DVD feed.

sjc

**DONOTDELETE**
02-18-2002, 10:18 PM
This set is an updated version of the KL-W9000. I owned the 9000 for 2 years. I was a 16x9 50" LCD rear-projection monitor, that originally sold for around $12000 CAD. I bought one for about $3000CAD brand new from a place in the US that was clearing them out. It was a great set with some limitations of most LCD projectors, monitors, namely black level. The detail and sharpness was better than most CRT based RPTVs. There was no convergence to worry about, and geometry was perfect. Hooked up to a PC based DVD , you could get a breathtaking DVD image with incredibly vibrant colors. All of this , and the set only weighed about 100 lbs.

Marc.

Ken_H
02-20-2002, 04:35 AM
I saw it at CEDIA, last September in Indianapolis. It looked great, the best solid state HDTV I've seen. Better than any consumer LCOS (JVC, RCA, Samsung) DLP (Panasonic, Mitsu, Hitachi) & plasma (all of 'em).

My first thought was, for the price it should be that good.

ddire
02-20-2002, 04:39 AM
Get ready, word on the inside is that Sony is going to make a big push for the GW in Canada.

ddire

XBR_II
02-20-2002, 02:46 PM
By, dropping the price of the unit by, say, half or by paying my mortgage for the next six months?

ddire
02-20-2002, 03:34 PM
By advertising the crap out of it for the next year. Pricey, yes, but then again it certainly is not marketed towards 99.99 % of Canada anyway. http://videoemail.chalksf.com/VideoEmail/Sony/GrandWega/default.asp?PID=12817

**DONOTDELETE**
02-21-2002, 07:30 AM
This is loog Awsome Sony halmost half the weight!
look like a good picture
can Imagine what the $$$ is...

sjc
02-21-2002, 12:48 PM
I'll admit that there's not much chance of me using any of my Revenue Canada tax refund money towards this $12K TV as good as it may be, but I suppose there is one thing good that has come out of this unit's introduction - the fact that the other lower end wide screen HD monitors have dropped in price. I'm not really sure, but looks like the 51" unit is $4K and the 57" is $5K which is now WAY more in my price range. Now I've always been biased and partial to Sony especially in the TV area, and I know that the Sony brand premium amounts to about 10% so I am assuming comparable units from other manufacturers like Toshiba, Panasonic etc will be around the $3K to $4K range respectively. Am I right?

Anyone compared these brands side by side?

Big_Cheese
02-21-2002, 01:29 PM
Sony knows that Canadians are much poorer than Americans and as such have decided to reduce new product A/V offerings in Canada. You won't even see most ES products in most Sony stores.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-21-2002, 05:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

This is loog Awsome Sony halmost half the weight!

<hr></blockquote>Could someone please explain to me what was said in the above quote? thx.

XBR_II
02-21-2002, 06:10 PM
MI6 is busy de-coding it as we speak... with the new Crays at their disposal, we should get the answer in a couple of weeks.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-21-2002, 06:19 PM
When It comes to HDTV i'm still fairly new in this....
1: is a True HDTV set is nothing but a Huge Computer Monitor with High Freq: like 1024X1028 ?...
an those Vega 36" found at Future shop are somehow an Analog clone of those expensive set?

jconnor
02-21-2002, 11:36 PM
You know, it's "loog Awsome" and it's "halmost half the weight!" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-23-2002, 12:38 AM
Holy sticker shock!.....There is just NO WAY that us beaten down (now south of the Sept 11th meltdown...GRRR) BCE shareholders can ever shell out almost 14 grand for this TV!

....This extremely pricey TV is for smart shareholders that loaded up (big time) on RRR.UN (Retirement Residences-TSE symbol RRR.UN)instead of the very, very crappy BCE <a target="_blank" href=http://investdb.theglobeandmail.com/invest/investSQL/gx.show_chart?iaction=Generate&amp;pl_period=12D&amp;pl_pr imary_listing=BCE-T>http://investdb.theglobeandmail.com/invest/investSQL/gx.show_chart?iaction=Generate&amp;pl_period=12D&amp;pl_pr imary_listing=BCE-T</a>

XBR_II
02-23-2002, 05:13 PM
"Hey, it ain't just the sticker shock, honey".... Apparently, this set doesn't support the new DVI/HDCP standard so it won't be capable of displaying future copy protected HD broadcasts in 1080i (these broadcasts will be down converted to 480p). How would you feel if you blew 14 grand on a high definition set only to discover it won't be able to properly display HDCP broadcasts a year or so from now?

For more discussion on this issue, please see:

http://www.HomeTheaterSpot.Com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&amp;f=35&amp;t=001482