PDA

View Full Version : NIMIQ 2 Launch

**DONOTDELETE**
02-17-2002, 04:52 AM
Just to let you all know, Nimiq 2's launch date is now October. As we all know launch dates are never set in stone, but this will mean that the satellite will be operational before the end of the year. Click the links below to find out more.

http://spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0106/29nimiq/

snoman
02-17-2002, 12:51 PM
BCE's Telesat shouldn't worry about getting Nimiq2 operational before launching Anik F2. SC has made it painfully obvious they wont use the extra bandwidth to the fullest anyways so it's safe to say BEV's competitive lead in DTH is safe and secure for the forseeable future.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-17-2002, 04:43 PM
I doubt BCE considers StarChoice their real competition. Between the two of them, they already the have overwhelming majority of Canadians who can't get cable and aren't interested in grey or BUD options.

Their traditional rival is Rogers. Rogers has a huge cable customer base that dwarfs BEV and SC combined. And only a tiny fraction of them have moved to digital cable. As they start the digital migration, BEV needs its digital product to compete with Rogers', not Star Choice's.

Rogers' customer base is also in the most densely populated part of the country, many of whom are located in high-rise apartment buildings that can be serviced with one dish.

BCE and Rogers compete fiercely in the cellular market. They competed in long distance (Rogers lost) and are now competing fiercely in the high-speed Internet market. Both want as much of your dollar as they can possibly get. Being a BEV subscriber makes it much less likely you'll buy Internet access from Rogers.

Taking myself as an example, five years ago I had cable from Rogers, Internet from a local ISP, local phone from Bell and long distance from Sprint.

BEV came in first. I bought a large-screen TV and cable's noise and "shadow ghosting" was no longer watchable. High-speed Sympatico came a couple of months later. It was available before Rogers@Home in my building, and even if @Home was available, they charge extra if you're not a cable subscriber.

Sprint lost my (minimal - I use the Internet for most communication) long distance business when Sympatico started charging for modem rental if you weren't a Bell long distance customer.

Fortunately for me, I'm very satisfied with the products I care about (satellite and internet) and don't have any problems or complaints with the two products I don't care much about (local and long distance phone).

If I weren't content, I'd have to make serious decisions. Going with Rogers for Internet would cost me $10 more a month. So would going with Sprint for long distance. If I went with Sprint for local phone service I'd have to get cable internet since I couldn't keep Sympatico High-Speed.

For other people, the important products might be cellular and long distance plans, with their TV and internet of lesser importance. Either way, the more "personal telecommunications" products a vendor has to bundle, the better chance they have of getting and keeping your business, both through loyalty "I like Rogers cable so I'm betting their internet product is pretty good too" abd bundling "It's too much of a hassle and will cost too much to start switching around."

IMO, Shaw needs to forge some links (co-operation, strategic alliances, joint marketing, but preferably merger) with one or more providers that can fill in the gaps in its product line.

I wonder if in the end we'll end up with two big companies (not going to speculate who will control them!) each having wire access to homes where practical, and satellite where not.

One company would consist of phone-line based services incorporating Bell, Telus and ExpressVu and content from Bell Globemedia. The other would consist of cable-based services, incorporating Rogers, Shaw and Star Choice and CanWest Global.

Both mega companies would (or will) be in a position to offer local, mobile and long-distance phone service, internet access (broadband, satellite and mobile) and television (through wire/cable and satellite). And both will have their own head end in the sky, allowing them to act as distributor to all the mom-and-pop operations that aren't worth acquiring.

Bell already has the pieces in place in Eastern and Central Canada, which accounts for 70% of the Canadian market. Rogers has many of the pieces but were stymied in their bid to enter Quebec.

I think Canada would be better served by two fiercely competitive national competitors focussing on products and services because they already have the infrastructure in place. I'd much rather see that than the TMN/Movie Central scenario of regional monopolies. And in DTH, I see this as the most likely way for us to retain competition.

Rob
02-17-2002, 06:00 PM
I think your missing an obvious point. What does Shaw gain from improving Starchoice? A strong DTH market in Canada means more competition for Shaw cable. Lowering the value of Shaws cable business. Worse it cuts the number of people who will buy the new services the cable companies want to push over thier wires. Internet,VOD or whatever else they might be dreaming about. Then you have the cost of getting those Starchoice customers. Think about the receiver fee. People here claimed they would switch. Well Shaw knows a large number of those people are going to switch back to cable. Which in Shaw country means Shaw cable. Even better they will likely spend years talking about how the satellite company screwed them.

Rogers is never going to help out starchoice. All that would do is hurt rogers own cable business.

There is little doubt IMHO that the primary goal of starchoice is to protect the cash cow for Shaw.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-17-2002, 09:19 PM
I'm not talking about co-operation, I'm talking about merger/takeover, whatever. I don't think just having a cable base in Western Canada and a smallish DTH company will be enough to stay independent on.

I don't think consolidation is over yet.

Dede
02-18-2002, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr>

BCE's Telesat shouldn't worry about getting Nimiq2 operational before launching Anik F2

<hr></blockquote>

Snoman, forget about F2 in 2002 (hey, thatsa nice slogan /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ). F2 will launch in "early" 2003.

I_M_Norm_Al
02-18-2002, 01:56 PM
What does SC need F2 for? - They can't(or won't) even take advantage of the opportunities that E2 affords them?

snoman
02-18-2002, 01:58 PM
Not that I care anymore.
Anybody want a 921?

Dede
02-18-2002, 02:59 PM
Are you nuts /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'm seriously thinking about dumping my 421b+HDD201, 301, and the rest of the multi-sat setup (tone generator + multiswitch + e-dish).

snoman
02-18-2002, 03:13 PM
If I were in your shoes I'd keep the 201 and get a BUD.
You can always use the 201 with a 905/analog combo or 920/922.