PDA

View Full Version : Bev doing more updates?

jconnor
02-16-2002, 04:20 AM
I was just watching ST:TNG on TNN (yeah, I know) and the screen went blank and I kept getting "card not authorized" for about 30 seconds. Did this happen to anyone else? Is Bell doing more subscription updates?

davidnb
02-16-2002, 04:26 AM
I think it could be refered to as de-subscription updates.

LivingLegend
02-16-2002, 04:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Did this happen to anyone else?

<hr></blockquote>

Yup, happened to me as well. Kinda freaked me out. Picture came back in less than a minute, with all my subscribed channels as normal.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-16-2002, 04:51 AM
Ya happened here too. Found out their customer service doesn't work past 11PM before it came back on. How dare they during a hockey game ?!? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

jconnor
02-16-2002, 05:14 AM
They don't have 24 hour service? That kinda sucks. Mind you Bell Canada's 310-BELL services doesn't run past 6PM, which effectively means that they're never there when I am at home!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-16-2002, 05:32 AM
I thought their CSR where avaible 24hrs/day/7days/week/365days.Has something changed? I'm sure in all their brouchers and ads they say their call centre is opened 24hrs/day?

PEACE UP

jconnor
02-16-2002, 06:01 AM
Can't find any reference on the website. Mind you I'm not impressed with this all Bell-ish site for all Bell divisions. A common look and feel is good. A bad interface for all is not.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-16-2002, 06:36 AM
Star Choice advertises 24/7 Customer Care Centre as one of their benefits.

Max
02-16-2002, 07:05 AM
EVu must also be 24/7. I've called them numerous times well after midnight(MST) and always gotten an answer.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-16-2002, 07:06 AM
They do have 24/7 customer service, but I think the 2nd line technical support may finish at 11 or 12.

I don't know if it hit me too, but this would have been a unplanned technical glitch. I base this on:

1) If you have TNN, you wouldn't be a target
2) They wouldn't do this at a time of day when staff isn't there to deal with the fallout.

moosefan
02-16-2002, 12:16 PM
I lost all my French channels as well as all CBC channels. Now I can't watch the Olympics in French or English. The CSR that I spoke to yesterday told me the problem would be resolved shortly. As of this morning I still don't have me channels back.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Call again. Sometimes a CSR saying "the problem will be resolved shortly" is really saying, "I don't know what the cause is, but if I say this you won't call back until my shift is over."

The second-line techs will be in now. I am fine, so there isn't a problem effecting everyone.

thex
02-16-2002, 04:00 PM
The same thing happened to me yesterday. I lost all 6 CBC feeds, all the SRC feeds and some of the other
French channels. I could not watch the Olympics on CBC although, I could watch the curling on TSN.
I even could not watch a PPV movie because it said the smartcard was not authorized.
If this is still happening as of noon AST, give BEV a call and say that you need a new smartcard. That is
what they are doing for me. The only problem is that you probably wont get the card till the end of
this coming week. Or else you could go out and buy another receiver. BTW what type of receiver do
you have. I have a 3500.
I have heard that some of the older receivers are experiencing this more than any of the newer models.
Hope that helps.

moosefan
02-16-2002, 04:10 PM
I have a 2700 and they are sending me a new smartcard.

thex
02-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Moosefan, were you affected last Friday (that is Feb 8)? I was affected that day but all my
programming came back. It has only been the last few days that I have lost some of my channels starting with the VU preview channels, which of course I did not bother worrying about. It wasn't when I started losing channel 99, 100 and 101 that I phoned.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-16-2002, 04:59 PM
BEV is screwing up with the key changes.

moosefan
02-16-2002, 06:07 PM
Yes, last Friday I lost all my channnels but got them all back later that night. This time it's only the French language channels except TVA and I also lost every english feed of CBC. I phoned again and they said they couldn't promise I would get them back until I get my new card.

jconnor
02-16-2002, 07:19 PM

BEV is screwing up with the key changes.

<hr></blockquote>
You wouldn't think that this was rocket surgury. I understand (and approve) that cheaters must be dealt with, but they've got too be more careful not to tick off legitimate subs.

GOD
02-17-2002, 04:53 AM
Kind of ironic...a legit sub loses his tv viewing for a few days and the coughers/intended target were fixed in 40 minutes...and some call Star Choice incompetent ?

HammerJoe
02-17-2002, 06:43 AM
Do I smell a smartcard replacement fee coming up? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

jconnor
02-17-2002, 03:00 PM
I don't know, but my 5100 was really whacked out last night. Weird audio problems and a missed timer. I did the old disconnect power and coax, and pulled the smart card which seems to have fixed everything. Might be a coincidence, but everything was fine until this "key update" was done.

GOD
02-17-2002, 10:25 PM
I read a good thread on this , this morning[elsewhere...as I wanted to know why honest Bell sub's were starting to feel the affect of Bell's anti hacker campaign] . I should have saved it and pasted it here with some stuff edited out of course but I did not know what the mod's would think but it was all about the CBC's and other channel's missing problem and why you people were experiencing it .

I just tryed to revisit that site for an update on the thread...but I could not get in....the traffic must have been extremely heavy .

It's speculated that BEV is trying to set something up for a big internal receiver smash...so this could get worse before it get's better for honest sub's but remember...it will be better for you all in the end...and us SC dealer's too .

Maybe the Ottawa Citizen should run a story on how Bell made thousand's of their sub's miss Olympic coverage on CBC . Based on the number's here in membership and those honest people exeriencing prob's[that we know of] a guestimate of affected sub's would be 25,000+ as how many out of the 600 registered here actually post ?

It sure put's Bell in a tough position IMO . Although I do think it is great they are doing this but I honestly hate seeing honest people affected from any company as bad press affect's all satellite dealer's when we are trying to attract new sub's .

**DONOTDELETE**
02-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Just went down again, lasted about 3 minutes this time. I think that is the 4th or 5th time since Friday night!! It's getting worse than my old black market DTV was before I gave it up.

jconnor
02-17-2002, 10:44 PM
I agree that BEV should deal with cheaters, but they do run the risk of annoying existing (i.e. PAYING) subs. I don't understand why they wouldn't do this overnight. Unless of course they want to disable the cheaters when the best stuff is on.

mika911
02-18-2002, 01:08 AM
I do not mind too much when this happens, but it did screw up my 5100 (the recording that was in progress), which is a bad thing.

jconnor
02-18-2002, 03:50 AM
That's what bugs me. Why would these administrative messages be sent to working receivers such that they would get screwed up?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Both receivers down once again with "unauthorized card" message. This is really becoming a pain.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-18-2002, 03:40 PM
Bev just came back up without any intervention from me.... Now what was that analyst saying about..... What a f***ing pain....

ratovan
02-18-2002, 03:41 PM

Both receivers down once again

<hr></blockquote>

Mine too. two 2700s. really starting to get annoying.

XBR_II
02-18-2002, 03:51 PM
Has anyone contacted BEV to ask why this happening or to ask how long they expect this continue? Just curious what the "official" line on this would be and what measures, if any, are being taken to try to minimize the problem.

Hope this whole matter gets cleared up soon. Good luck.

GOD
02-18-2002, 04:30 PM
It will not be cleared up anytime soon...it's something that will alway's happen as they target and annoy cheater's . DTV has been doing it for eons . Waituntil you have no tv completely for 3-5 day's then you will be really mad...I know this because I've had it happen a lot to honest Grey sub's with DTV a couple of year's back when I used sell them and they were subscribing .

They would be so ticked about having no tv for a week and sometime's they ended up paying for a new card out of their OWN pocket !

I can see that happening here too for those who are out of warranty and need a new card from Bell in the future as more and more card's get damaged by these ECM's against pirates .

The access card is usually reliable and trouble free but they are a very fragile piece of your system that are not designed to withstand this rapid key changing over and over and thus some will fail because of that . Obviously that's what is happpening because may of us were wondering why Bev was not speeding up the key changes before this as they COULD have but now is the most opportune time because of the large viewing audience which is when they would afflict the most damage against their intended targets even though some innocents will be taken out too...a hard reality in war .

Arthur
02-18-2002, 04:55 PM
God I hope you take this in the spirit in which it is meant. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Bull [censored]

"it's something that will alway's happen as they target and annoy cheater's "

Dishnetwork does key updates almost every day without these annoying sideaffects.
And you know it.

Bell should get these updates straightened out, it's not like they don't have a model to follow.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-18-2002, 05:16 PM
Targeting hackers?
I think even they are experiencing less blackouts than legit BEV subs.

GOD
02-18-2002, 05:18 PM
Hmmm...nope . Common concensus on the chat forum's is that Bell went ahead of Dish Network on this one ! Sorry...but that's the way this one went down . At least that's the info I garnished from reading the thank's that the Echo Guru's were heaping on Bev over on the US ****forum's .

Arthur
02-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Anyone that has done any reading about this knows better.
I know it
You know it
post what you like, it's your credibility

Ranger_Gord
02-18-2002, 05:36 PM
As I lost service for about 5 hours yesterday, I asked myself "Now, why exactly did I change over from SC?" At least I had CBC OTA.

Arthur
02-18-2002, 05:43 PM
That is totally unacceptable, I hope everyone is calling in and complaining, this should be easy to fix, dishnet has been doing this for over a year without these problems.

Bugsy2
02-18-2002, 06:03 PM
Guess I spoke to soon. I noticed the "smart card not authorized" message on my 6000 this morning. First only on the HD channels, then they cleared up and it moved to the other channels. All is fine now, and I dont know how long it lasted as I changed to another source. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Hope it zaps all the bad guys. Do you suppose it is the "other guys" latest firmware revision that has somehow targetted BEV sytems rather than their own. Is it possible? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Cheers.

GOD
02-18-2002, 07:31 PM
Arthur...has it ever occured to you that Bell has done key changes before without the mass problem's[but they still had card's damaged then too , just because it was not talked about here , does not mean it wasn't happening] and so has Dish .

Maybe...it's a combination of the last update Bell did where "those guy's running camless had to insert their cards for a bit to do whatever[which I'm not exactly sure of ] and the "frequency" of the latest key changes combined that's causing this .

I know I read somewhere where they were stating that Bev went ahead of Dish on this one[and maybe they were referring to th cam insertion thingy I mentioned above] . I wish I could remember where I read that as I would forward it to you . I'll eventually find it and forward it for you .

LOL...it has nothing to do with credibility . These prob's are happening as we all can see . I certainly don't know everything about this...nor do I pretend to ! I'm just garnishing info on it from reading at other places and passing it on . Do your own deciphering and speculation .

BUT , I do know , from talking with Grey Market Middlemen in the past THAT Dish has replaced card's before because of an overlapse in their ECM's and some innocent's were issued new card's and some out of warranty HAD to pay for them . Of course maybe that was just anothr way for the US middleman to make a few xtra buck's...that I don't know . But I do know that if you are a Grey sub....you certainly don't catch many breaks when you have trouble...at least that's how I saw it with DTV and Dish . Maybe it's different with reverse Grey or the middleman you are associated with .

Arthur
02-18-2002, 08:00 PM
"just because it was not talked about here "

It's because it's not talked about here that some may not know any better than to believe it.

Anyone who has read up on this knows better.

Sell it to others, I'm not buying it.

You may go ahead and have the last word, something about the hackers that claim to be legitimate subs saying their cards were burnt would be a nice touch.

GOD
02-18-2002, 08:31 PM
Arthur...check your 501 email account and read the posts in that thread about the updates done by Dish and Bell . I think[from what I read in that thread Arthur , maybe you will decipher it differently ] Bell is in stage 2 and Dish is on stage 1 as they referred to the fact that people up North were going to be in for some fun and that the call centers would be busy and that Dish would be more capable of handling it because of their past experience when they enter stage2 .

Mod's I know we are probably on the line but it is sort of an explanation as to what's happening . I'll stop there as most have read this and maybe have a little more info on why they might be having troubles . As I said...It does put Bell in a tuff bind and they are ahead of Dish Net on this one which is good IMO . I hope it has helped some out and that maybe they should cut the CSR's a little slack when calling as they really are in the dark on it .

GOD
02-18-2002, 08:47 PM
BTW...ddire and Joe Dude...I sent a copy of that thread to you .

**DONOTDELETE**
02-18-2002, 08:57 PM
It's normal for BEV to change keys 2 times a day. But these key changes never caused any problems for legit subs before. Yes Dish is still using the old key encryption method....BEV change the key encryption about 10 days ago.

Arthur
02-18-2002, 09:22 PM
"Waituntil you have no tv completely for 3-5 day's "
"I know this because I've had it happen a lot to honest Grey sub's with DTV "
they ended up paying for a new card out of their OWN pocket !"

"I can see that happening here too for those who are out of warranty and need a new card from Bell in the future as more and more card's get damaged by these ECM's against pirates ."

"The access card is usually reliable and trouble free but they are a very fragile piece of your system that are not designed to withstand this rapid key changing over and over and thus some will fail because of that ."

Sorry key changes do not cause near the trouble above.
And how can anyone know if bell will charge for a new card for non hacking sub.

if you guys think I'm wrong that's fine I will wait for the public outcry from all the cooked bell cards

GOD
02-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Well Arthur I think I follow your logic and I will have to agree with it . LOL...it took awhile...but it has sunk in a bit . I also don't think I'm totally wrong but I'm also going to say I was not as right as I thought I was . Hehe...I just can't elaborate anymore here...but I see your point .

I do have a question that I will ask you at Hotmail and it might explain thing's a little clearer about the event's unfolding .

GOD
02-19-2002, 01:23 AM
One more thing to clear something up from my earlier replys in this thread which I can't edit..."could happen or I can see it happening " does not mean it "would/or will happen" . Yes...it's backtracking on my part .

I sure miss being able to edit post's . I think we all can agree on that . /forums/images/icons/smile.gif