PDA

View Full Version : State of *C HDD service.

HammerJoe
02-15-2002, 10:30 PM
I read on this site the numerous complaints about *c HDD service and because I would like to receive HDD and also because I am *c subscriber, and other options are way more expensive at this point, I need to have a realistic situation.

So for all of those tha have HDD201 please tell me:

What is the content I should expect to receive. I mean, at least 2h/day with new programming or it's just reruns of reruns?

alot of talking about sound issues, how bad are those?
Are we talking about short dropouts or long periods of silence?

What else?

Element
02-15-2002, 11:58 PM
Well, plainly put it sucks. They are incompetent. Most ABC shows are unviewable becuase of the DD5.1 sound. There is usually no dialogue heard. Thats quite common. They also touted Olympics in 5.1, yet failed to check with the detroit station which doesn't even have DD5.1 broadcast set up yet. Other times they fail to switch to the programming as promised, or part way through you may get it.

All in all, if you plan on watching HD, DON'T buy SC now.

Dede
02-16-2002, 02:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr>

What is the content I should expect to receive. I mean, at least 2h/day with new programming or it's just reruns of reruns?

<hr></blockquote>

Most night you actually have a choice between CBS, and some ABC and PBS. Nearly all of CBS' line-up is in HDTV. There's always something on from PBS, but quite often it's demo material. I find the pic quality to be very good. I haven't been able to see Leno on NBC, but the Olympics are offering a delightful insights as to the future capabilities and offering of HDTV and sports. The TMN movies are usually of very good pic quality, a little better than even my best DVDs.

<blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr>

alot of talking about sound issues, how bad are those?
Are we talking about short dropouts or long periods of silence?

<hr></blockquote>

(Qualifier: I don't really care at the moment if I get true 5.1, as long as it sounds good it's fine by me...)
CBS and PBS are perfect, never heard anything wrong with those feeds. OTOH, any 5.1 offerings from ABC have, until now, been frustrating. Usually very low volume from the centre channel (or no sound at all). Then the commercial come on and you get blasted by the sound!! Last Saturday's Bond flick, Goldfinger was in plain Ol' stereo ans was perfect.
The NBC feed of the Olympics has been annoying at time. Tonight, it's very good. One or two dropout (1 sec) per 1/2 hr, nothing to complain about. But yesterday, for about 1.5 hr, severe drops and very loud pops every 5 seconds during the ski jumping.... much less severe later in the night during the hockey game. I haven't had any problems from the sound on TMN.

Well, ther ya go /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

RUU
02-16-2002, 02:43 AM
I'll 2nd what Dede said but add that ABC's woes only started recently &amp; will probably be fixed at some point (I've had StarChoice HD since Nov)

snoman
02-16-2002, 01:24 PM
This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just curious about something here.

If the PQ is steady and usually problem free from what I gather around the biggest complaint is DD5.1.
So my question is...
Is watching ABC or NBC HDTV in stereo instead so unbearable you'll just die? I understand the part about SC cutting off shows before they end or the IPG being inaccurate, those are good reasons but the 5.1 thing is a bit much if you ask me. I'm not defending SC's constant bumbling at HDTV (I wouldn't recommend them either for HDTV), just trying to understand the mindset that if the whole HDTV "experience" isn't perfect there are threads a mile long about it for days on end sometimes.
Someone please enlighten me

**DONOTDELETE**
02-16-2002, 02:30 PM
There re tim en tching programs li the mpics is impos ause the dro are so bad th

nd tha sucks!

Element
02-16-2002, 03:27 PM
I've been here long enough to realize that it will be no time soon the DD5.1 sound will be fixed. This isn't just an ABC issue. Ask people abou the PBS Evolution series. Most of the time there was no audio. I think they ahd it working once. This has been going on for 6 months. Now I ask you. How much attention is being paid to resolve this?

It frustrates me to know that SC's competitors can deliver the proper mix, and it looks like they did their homework when they signed the agreements to replay the networks feed. SC failed at this. NBC Detroit has admitted they don't broadcast in 5.1 yet, yet SC tells all the HD subs they do. FWIW, the ABC movies you are now watching should be in 5.1 according to postings on AVS forum. Again, it may be the source station not feeding it to SC, who knows. But if that TRULY is the case, given the amount of headaches SC has put its HD subs through (oval dish swap), SC should have been switching sources by now. I would have. As now I am leaving their service and they will be out revenue from me and a few othere here from what I have seen.

You're right, whats wrong with dolby surround? Well, nothing. Problem is that usually that isn't even working at times. And to be honest, thats a temporary fix, and a good one, where someone admitts there is a problem, tells there front lines that, and then assures its customers that until the DD issue is fixed, they will ensure HDTV viewing pleasure with WORKING dobly surround. You're dreaming if you think this is happening at SC. Dreaming....

I_M_Norm_Al
02-16-2002, 03:43 PM
By this time, Shaw is well aware of the state of technical incomptence of the SC HD offerings.

Shaw has made a concious decision not to fix the problems. They are by far the worse HD service in North America. But this is typical of Shaw. Ask Ted Rogers as to the state of the Shaw infrastructure that he ended up with as a result of the big cable swap.

You have many choices as to your next HD service provider. Each one of them is a step up from what you have now.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-16-2002, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Is watching ABC or NBC HDTV in stereo instead so unbearable you'll just die?

<hr></blockquote>

I think the problem is that if a bad 5.1 signal is there, they don't have the ability to turn it into an ordinary stereo signal. The posts I read tend to say it can't be heard, not complaints about having to watch it in stereo. I'm not familiar enough with Star Choice audio to say for sure, but I think they only send out one audio stream. I've seen DVDs with only 5.1 on them, so I think it may be downward compatible and you wouldn't need a Dolby 5.1 compatible stereo to listen to it. Can anyone confirm that?

DaveJohnson
02-16-2002, 11:54 PM
All the negative posts have kept me from getting the HDD-201. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Hopefully things will work out.

snoman
02-17-2002, 12:10 AM
Since I don't have a 201 I can't confirm it but some here have stated they bypass the 201's audio and patch the 4xx directly to their amps and switch the DD audio settings off. (shrug)

snoman
02-17-2002, 12:15 AM
I'll get one eventually for my soon coming 905.
After giving it a lot more thought I've decided to put my 921 up for sale on e bay after all. I know they sell well in the states even if they don't fetch much here in Canada.
I'm keeping the 410 for now should by some miracle SC get it's HD service running right and will be looking for a good analog C/Ku IRD.

Dede
02-17-2002, 12:19 AM
(shrug) There's no audio outputs from my 201, how can we bypass it ? As I said above, stereo would be good enuf for me, but watching a movie with no dialogue ain't funny!!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-17-2002, 12:21 AM
Run your audio from the 401.

snoman
02-17-2002, 12:22 AM
There should be a S/PDIF in/out and analog audio in/out on the back somewhere.

http://www.4dtv.com/HDTV/HDD200Specs.pdf

Dede
02-17-2002, 01:54 AM
Thanks. but the audio comes from my 421b anyway.

BTW, poo-poo sound on ThunderBall tonight... bad *C, very bad /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

HammerJoe
02-17-2002, 02:25 AM
You got it Dave, and I'm sure that like us there are other people that would acquire the gear...

I curse the day I bought *C... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Dede
02-18-2002, 02:09 PM
Magically, later in the evening, the sound on ThunderBall was correct!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-18-2002, 02:42 PM
Add me to the list of people who will NOT buy an HDD-201 until Star Choice gets their act together with HDTV. It's unfortunate, but Star Choice is coming off as a cable provider now. They just don't seem to care about the subscriber.

Ranger_Gord
02-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Shaw doesn't care about it's employees, why should it care about it's customers?

snoman
02-18-2002, 05:59 PM
I'll get one for the 905. Could care less what SC does with it's HDTV anymore. Could care less what SC does period.

DaveJohnson
02-18-2002, 11:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'll get one for the 905. Could care less what SC does with it's HDTV anymore. Could care less what SC does period

<hr></blockquote>

Gee Sno hell must have froze over /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Sow_Man
02-19-2002, 01:31 AM
I heard a rumor that somebody is trying to put together a DCII Ku package on G0. Apparently the big problem, they are having is with programmers who are only willing to play in a 'buy one, buy all' scenario

snoman
02-19-2002, 01:53 AM
Guess it has hasn't it.
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The plus side is ain't nobody gonna call me a SC cheerleader anymore. I'm still peeved at BEV for trying to kill everything not CRTC approved so until they leave BUD owners alone they won't get a cent from me.

Bugsy2
02-19-2002, 02:40 AM
SC Cheerleader!! Just kidding! I agree with you about the BEV lawsuit, but I wonder sometimes how much Shaw/SC money is backing them, dont you? Cheers. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-19-2002, 02:42 AM
We essentially share the same sentiments with regard to BEV. I currently have Star Choice and am becoming less impressed by the week, but I will never go to the other side. My BUD is still pretty good, despite the crappy Motorola/GI hardware.

snoman
02-19-2002, 02:43 AM
I'm sure SC wouldn't mind at all if BEV won.

snoman
02-19-2002, 02:45 AM
Yeah that's why my 921 is up for grabs on e bay.
I'm looking for a good analog IRD to replace it with and adding a 905 to boot.