PDA

View Full Version : Here's my latest with SC HDTV. SC System for sale.

Element
02-14-2002, 11:24 PM
Here lye's my latest and final adventure with SC and the whole 5.1 ordeal. I am so fed up, I am selling my system and cancelling the service. Its not just that HDTV doesn't work, its the fact that they are obviously incompetent as you shall see below, for those of you who don't already know. So, I shall be bidding them adue!

Below, is an admittedly sarcastic letter to their email support. You'll love their helpful response. It addresses nothing other than that they feel the problem is my end.

Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 7:50 PM
To: info@starchoice.com
Subject: Olympics HD and DD5.1?

SO is it you guys or your feed that's not providing 5.1 surround sound? I guess either way you won't be providing it as your service can't even transmit HD and dd5.1 from the ABC shows that are sent to you with it...

Thanks for a continual let down. Even if it's the source station in Detroit, you'd figure your company would have dropped your sources for HD content and look for others, like those that Bell use's, as their HDTV subs have no problems with any sound or video. IE ABC Prime time shows with HDTV and 5.1 surround sound

Thanks again for ruining yet another spectacular HDTV event. What an
embarrassment to say I pay for your service. At least it makes me feel good to tell friends that are interested in your service to put their money elsewhere...

And there response 4 DAYS LATER

Dear Mr. Henderson;

Thank you for your email regarding your Star Choice system working in Dolby Digital.
I recommend changing the audio settings on your Star Choice receiver. The following directions will help you change these settings:

Press the Options button on your remote control
Press the number 6 for 'change system settings'
Press number 2 for 'audio settings'
I recommend you select the 'surround sound' setting and see if that helps.

If this does not help, I recommend that you contact our Customer Care Center, so your situation can be assessed. Our Customer Service Representatives will troubleshoot with you and walk you through a few of the on-screen menus on your receiver. Then, if you need to speak to a Technical Service Representative, they will be happy to transfer you for further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Star Choice,

Megan R
Internet Mail Coordinator

So I now hear that the NBC station isn't equipped to broadcast 5.1? Thats fine. Who was the obviously DUMBA$$ that signed the deal to carry their feed and send a system email to us touting 5.1 sound? Ever hear of doing your homework SC? I thought you were still busy wiping the egg off your face for the botched dish switch on HDTV. Well, nobody can say your organization lacks persistance, even if it is couter-productive!!! Go SC Go!!!

So I just got hung up on their phone system. I got through and asked the tech about where we stand with the DD issues, and of course they know of no problems. So he offers to transfer me to some higher up tech. I wait on hold and lose the connection. It was obvious why, as I redialed immediately and couldn't get past the stonewall of busy signals.

Obviously SC is not adept at dealing with their own service and managing their environment very well. So, thats 2 "television" providers down, I might as well move on to the next one.

Where was the board that I could sell my stuff? I don't want to put it on these forums out of respect to the admins. Any dealers that want to trade, email me

jconnor
02-14-2002, 11:31 PM
How about eBay?

Arthur
02-14-2002, 11:37 PM
There is a place to sell used sat stuff here

http://forums.delphiforums.com/canadiancorner/messages/?msg=725.1

DaveJohnson
02-14-2002, 11:44 PM
Just use the classified/bulliten folder at Canadian Corner. Follow Arthur`s link to the site.

Thanks,

Sow_Man
02-15-2002, 12:42 AM
...shaking my head total incompetence. Can't you guys start a class action suit against SC. They have advertised items that are not true

peternm22
02-15-2002, 01:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

They have advertised items that are not true

<hr></blockquote>

I could be wrong, but I don't recall SC ever saying they would broadcast ABC in DD5.1. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Peter

CSM
02-15-2002, 02:20 AM
Your experiences are identical to mine with StarChoice HD/DD5.1 .

I sure understand your total frustration with their inability to communicate.

HammerJoe
02-15-2002, 02:56 AM
And I am looking to jump into the HDTVbandwagon and because I am with *c it doesn't appeal to me to go and spend more money to them with all these problems that *c can't fix.

Geoff
02-15-2002, 04:55 AM
They never said it would be in colour either.
does that mean they don't have to?

Element,
these guys have a classified section now. http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

**DONOTDELETE**
02-15-2002, 04:01 PM
I have only had Star Choice HD service since Christmas (It was a gift) I am cancelling today. It's a joke and I am too old to put up with this aggravation.