PDA

View Full Version : Channel 3 & 4

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 06:09 PM
I am in the process of setting up a second ExpressVu receiver. I want one on channel 3 and the other on channel 4?

This way all the TV's I have networked in the house can watch 2 different programs just by tuning to channel 3 or channel 4. Is there any special equipment I need for this, or will it just work by daisy chaning the receivers together, but on set to output on different channels (ie. the second receiver set to channel 4, and into the 1st receivers CABLE IN line.)

ClassicSat
02-12-2002, 07:11 PM
You cannot do it with the cheap modulators on consumer
video equipment. You need either professional modulators
and combiners, or pro-sumer cable modulators, which will modulate onto cable channels in the 60s.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Does KUSAT sell one of these - and are they relatively cheap?

Ross
02-14-2002, 09:16 PM
Instead of Daisey Chaining, I suggest that you try a parallel output from each receiver (one channel 3, the other channel 4 output) directly into a combiner. It cost nothing to try it. You might have to attenuate the signal from each receiver to the combiner, but try it "cheap" first

ClassicSat
02-17-2002, 01:21 AM
That's what the OP asked. It is not possible as the cheap
modualtors will not keep CH3s signal in CH3s bandwith
enough to allow combining an adjacent channel using a similar cheap modulator. To do it righ you need at least
2 channels in between, or commercial modualtors.

dlg
02-17-2002, 02:45 AM
ClassicSat is correct, it will not work. When I am faced with this situation I use two USM-UHF modulators and put them on 14 and 16. Works excellent without interference and they are quite cheap, around $40.00 each.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-17-2002, 03:21 AM
You might want to look for a product as found at this link ==>> 6-Way Audio-Video Distribution Amplifier

http://www.smarthome.com/8145.html

Run one unit thru your cable , the other this way. Just a thought. I realize you are probably doing this on the cheap, just trying to suggest another approach to consider. (US$ at site)

antunes
02-17-2002, 06:16 AM
I agree with previous comments.

Channel 3 & 4 cannot be combined using consumer gear. The signals will interfere with each other and really degrade the picture.

I have had great luck with uhf modulators.

In my setup I combine signals from 5 satellite receivers, DVD, and S-VHS deck, and an OTA antenna. All the signals are modulated and then combined with the OTA signal.

Everything goes around the house on RG6 cable to 5 TVs and 2 stereo systems.

Any TV can watch any channel. Using uhf remote controls for the receivers any receiver can be controled from any TV.

For a more technical discussion of how to set up your own "home brewed" cable system see

http://www.global-cm.net/distribu.html

**DONOTDELETE**
02-17-2002, 05:36 PM
If you want good prosommer modulator, use Blonder-Tongue. Choose a model with 2 mods in one box. It looks like a little tv converter. Using a pll to ensure a very stable frequency, the box can be put on any frequency between ch. 37 and 78 (CATV). Output is + 30dbmv.

DaveJohnson
02-17-2002, 06:56 PM
I use the same UHF modulators as Dlg did. All my bedroom tv`s,kitchen and computer tv card all have a single cable hooked up to them. I have combined my off air signals with 2 modulator channels on 19 and 29. Everything works good. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif