PDA

View Full Version : new firmware for Starchoice?

Bent
02-11-2002, 09:40 PM
there is another firmware revision in test stage (version #?), can anyone share with us what it improves, and when we can expect it to disable the rest of our receivers?

GOD
02-12-2002, 12:50 AM
Hmmmm....a CSR told me there were some problem's with one the other nite . I never had any call's....but he said they did....on all model's <-----after I asked . Soooo...hard to know what's coming or when . I could have kept that info to myself BTW . So don't shoot the messenger .

PKFK
02-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Yep, there were problems.....my 305 would not power-up correctly after the upgrade (last week). Green light would only come on for a few seconds, and then go out. The 401 was fine. I called *C and they had me unplug the rcvr from both the AC power, and the coax from the dish for a couple minutes. Reconnect - sent a hit, and things were OK.

CSR told me that they had "quite a few" calls with the same problem......sounds like a bit more lab testing was required before sending this "upgrade" out.

P.S. - CSR told me it was to correct some problems with the IPG (nothing more specific, unfortunately). I find this odd, since it is my 401 that frequently craps out on the IPG; the 305 has been rock solid on the IPG.

One other thing - the CSR did ask me to be sure to call in every time the IPG goes down (ie : "no info" message), as they are trying to debug the issue, and need to collect data on what could be triggering the problem....so folks, please phone those IPG problems in when they occur.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 05:55 PM
At $5.80 per service call, that could be some pretty expensive data collection.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

PKFK
02-12-2002, 08:17 PM
Heh, Heh, Heh.....good point. Let me emphasize.....be SURE to phone in EVERY TIME your IPG goes down....gotta get our money's worth from the "Multiple Receiver Plan".

PlusONE
02-12-2002, 08:26 PM
what new firmware version did they send to the receivers?

2scoop
02-12-2002, 10:56 PM
As per PKFK:
"CSR told me it was to correct some problems with the IPG"

If these problems include the "Gemstar issues" it could be the straw that break my back and pushes me to Exvu.
Unless, of course, *C's PVR comes out in the first quarter of '02 as ROTFLMAO "PROMISED". Seems the only anouncements *C follows up on are price increases.

I_M_Norm_Al
02-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Ya jump to Expressvu due to Gemstar issue. - the company that wants US$10/sub/month to use the "patented" guide. Guess who they lined up for next legal battle - Echostar + Scientific Atlanta. It's total extortion, there is no way the US Patent Office should have given patent for appearance

2scoop
02-13-2002, 05:24 PM
"It's total extortion, there is no way the US Patent Office should have given patent for appearance"

Agreed 125%

**DONOTDELETE**
02-13-2002, 06:26 PM
OK, I've never seen a StarChoice EPG, but I've seen the EVU ones and Rogers digital, plus others built in to TV.

They all look pretty much like the program grids you see in TV Guide and other listings magazines -- channel list along the left, times across the top, program titles inside the grid.

It seems like a pretty basic concept to me as well as the only logical way to do it.

How did Gemstar get a patent on this? To me it's like patenting the idea of houses having walls that go up and down with the floors arranged horizontally!

And ten dollars a month! I'd tell my customers (if I had a company that is), OK, we're going to have to raise your rates $10 a month if your want a program guide, or four bucks and we'll give you a subscription to TV Guide instead!

I_M_Norm_Al
02-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Gemstar and TV Guide are the same company. How did they get a patent - blame the US Patent Office. According to TechTv, someone has actually applied to patent hyperlinks!!!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-13-2002, 06:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Gemstar and TV Guide are the same company.

<hr></blockquote>
OK, are they suing newspapers? Is this effecting anyone but Star Choice subs right now?<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

How did they get a patent - blame the US Patent Office.

<hr></blockquote>How does this effect Star Choice, or does it only effect them because their equipment is American? I don't know anything about patent law, but I'm assuming an American patent on something is worthless in other countries, no?<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

According to TechTv, someone has actually applied to patent hyperlinks!!!

<hr></blockquote>Could you post a link to that story? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

But in that spirit, I'm announcing that I'm patenting flame wars. Any time any of you want to flame someone, anywhere on the Internet, I expect a cheque for $10 (American)

But don't worry, I'm offering a lifetime warranty on flames. If your flame ever fails to get the anticipated reaction, send it to me and I'll replace it with a flame crafted especially for you!

snoman
02-13-2002, 09:03 PM
I think I'll get a patent on patents so whenever anyone applies for a patent at the patent office I collect on it.