PDA

View Full Version : BEV 5100 crackling and Pops in audio

Eclipsed
02-11-2002, 05:36 PM
I have a 5100 BEV system. I notice that on the Edmonton global and A-channels, channels 221 and 222, the audio pops and crackels. Very noticable. Has anyone else noticed this popping? Or is this something to do with my setup.

Also, I had the dish "professionally" installed here in Edmonton, but I notice that the guy "forgot" the grounding block. How important is this item?

Thanks in advance.

Nodecam
02-11-2002, 06:53 PM
At first I wasn't sure what you were talking about, but then I remembered having the same thing occur on A-Channel whenever there's white text on screen - I think it has to do with the pure white video signal bleeding into the audio channel somewhere along the line.

Don't know if that helps at all, but I suspect it happens on A-Channel because it's one of the higher picture quality channels, so the whites are "whiter" or something.

jconnor
02-13-2002, 05:03 PM
Are you using the speakers in your TV set, or an external A/V reciever?

Nodecam
02-13-2002, 06:15 PM
Personally I'm using an A/V receiver, hooked up with standard RCA a/v cables (My TV's too old to do something nice like SVideo)

At some point I'm going to have to buy another optical cable so that I can hook it up that way, but since I don't have the movie channels, and I don't do PPV, it's never seemed worth the money to me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The crackling for me isn't a huge issue - it's only really bothered me during "Enterprise" when they've got the credits going.

No biggie for me though - with the 5100 I pick what I want to watch, from which channel, and when, so if it really bothered me, I'd just change my timer to one of the other channels.

Nodecam

Eclipsed
02-13-2002, 09:03 PM
I am piping the sound thru an digital optical cable from the 5100 to my Technics Reciever. But have it also hooked up to my tv via gold plated monster cables. I get the crackles and pops both ways.

jconnor
02-13-2002, 09:16 PM
To nodecam's point about video leaking into the audio stream. I can recall getting it when bright white credits were shown over video. I'm connected with S-Video through my A/V receiver to the TV and optical from the 5100 to the A/V. I can't remember hearing the problem with this configuration. Perhaps it only affects analogue audio, which kinda makes sense to me.