PDA

View Full Version : Olympic 5.1

LivingLegend
02-10-2002, 01:50 AM
I've seen other postings raving about the 5.1 sound from the Olympic coverage on BEV, but I seem to be getting the same echoey effect we were getting during last week's NBA telecast on NBC-HD/HDNet. This is particularly noticeable when the tv announcers are speaking; they're coming out of the center and then the two fronts with a micro-second delay, creating the echo. The problem persists during commercial breaks.

I don't suspect a receiver problem, as dvd's are fine. I don't suspect a problem with the 6000, as ABC's 5.1 is fine. Is it the source? Is anyone else noticing this?

wildman
02-10-2002, 03:26 AM
Yes, I had the same kind of sound during the basketball on NBC super bowl weekend. It was quite lowsy. An echo from the centre channel and no real fill at all in the rears.

Is it only echoish on ours or is everyone experiencing this weird audio.

CSM
02-10-2002, 03:58 AM
I did not have any "echo" or issues at all with the DD5.1 on the BEV6000 connected to denon avr-3300. It was good throughout.

LivingLegend
02-10-2002, 04:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

BEV6000 connected to denon avr-3300.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm hooked into a Denon 3801, which has always performed flawlessly, and continues to do so, with other 5.1 sources. I've tried to play with the various settings on the receiver, to no avail. I'm mystified...

**DONOTDELETE**
02-10-2002, 05:15 AM
I also had the same audio output on my HT (fed to an Onkyo 575x with optical cable). Mainly center channel and both fronts. Sub picked up some of the fireworks OK. Not much coming from the rear channels, I suspect it is the source, broadcasting in 5.1 but just not making full use of it. I think this would be difficult to do for a live sports broadcast. ABC's Alias, NYPD Blue, and Philly all have really good 5.1 audio but I'm pretty sure it is edited in after filming.
I won't be complaining though, there were no audio dropouts or problems as some SC subs have mentioned and the PQ was incredible!

Geoff
02-10-2002, 05:37 AM
I heard the same echoes Legend.

ddire
02-10-2002, 12:48 PM
Echoes for us as well.. No rears.

Picture (at least for opening) was the pitts. ANYTHING with red (the skater) was nothing more than about 15 pixels. Red scarfs had large pixels as well.

Long shots were very compressed looking, way to much shimmering. Close ups were ok but nothing special.

Equipment: Bell 6000
PSB IM5's Ft
Sony ES Reciever
Sony KP57HW40

Sadly, this was not a saleable demo in my sound room.... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

ddire

Wolf
02-10-2002, 03:23 PM
I did hear the echoey effect, but only during commercials. The Olympic ceremony sounded fine to me.

The picture did break up a few times, but only lasted about 3 seconds each time.

I have an ExpressVu 6000 going into a Kenwood VR-2080 via optical cable with PSB Stratus Silver speakers.

Wolf

LivingLegend
02-11-2002, 08:43 PM
It sounds like NBC Boston has sorted out their 5.1 problems, as today's HD cast is in DD, and no more echo. Sitting in the sweet spot, looking at the fabulous PQ on my 36" Toshiba HDTV, with the crowd noise coming from my four rear surrounds, I REALLY feel like I'm THERE!

JCL
02-12-2002, 03:30 AM
The breakups were about 3 seconds each. But when Sting and Yo Yo Ma were on, there was a prolonged freeze lasting about 30 seconds. Did anyone remember this?

mowitch
02-12-2002, 06:11 AM
Yes, but it was with Star Choice (not BEV) and read later it was related to the US feed..grr. Problems still continue ..ski jumping great great HDTV display, but lousy sound at times..