PDA

View Full Version : HD TV NOT

usbhubman
02-04-2002, 10:27 PM
Well, I wasn't too far from bying an HD system after seeing it at my buddies home last week.

Now that I have seen what XpressVu does to support (sic) HDTV and the great acolades I read here on SC ......

F O R G E T I T !

Reality Check ...... to FutureShop, RadioShack, Sony and anyone else in Canada selling HDTV and 6000 set top receivers ..... better light a fire under the cable/sat providers. HDTV is going nowhere until those guys get their act together.

I vote with my pocketbook ... and my money's staying put right now !

Geoff
02-04-2002, 11:01 PM
What has BEV done to change your mind ?

HammerJoe
02-04-2002, 11:07 PM
Can't agree with you more...
Something is rotten in the Sat world and It starts to stink really bad.
And I thought there was competition.
Sure there is, but it's working against us consumers because instead of getting cheaper service we are being charged more for the same service...

**DONOTDELETE**
02-05-2002, 12:35 AM
Hey, we gave the best shot - looked closely at SC/BEV; some of us subbed with one or both for awhile.

But the bottom line is that there is a reason why both of these companies are going to fail in the long run. The Canadian DTH satellite industry is going to fail due to incompetence. Now Motorola, is pressuring their American dealers not to send BUD receivers to Canada.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-05-2002, 06:38 PM
I agree with you , not much HD programming for the big bucks. I am looking at DishNetwork from the US.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-05-2002, 07:17 PM
I hope you dont mean you're looking at Dish Network specifically for their HD programming because it's less than you'll get on Bev.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-05-2002, 07:55 PM
You get the following:

HBO-HD, SHO-HD, PPV-HD, CBS-HD

What do you get with BEV?

Ranger_Gord
02-05-2002, 09:11 PM
...and my Canadian friend, how are you going to get the CBS local station waiver forms signed in order to get CBS HD?

.....plus how much are you going to pay for the redialer service to be able to get PPV

So in reality, with Dish you will have no US network HD plus no HDNet

---- sorta narrows the selection eh

checkem out before you buy

**DONOTDELETE**
02-05-2002, 09:41 PM
Well lets put it this way. CBS is a wash even if you'd be able to get it from Dish with a waiver because Bev has it too. Dish's PPV is about as lame as Bev's because the same 2 movies will be shown forever it seems. Showtime HD is quite lame in that maybe 25% of their stuff is true HD, though admittedly some of their upconverted movies look pretty good. Still alot of 4x3 on that chanel though. But Starz! (no HD) and HBO gobble up the rights to most of the blockbusters anyway. Speaking of HBO, yes most of their stuff is HD and looks good. That is if you dont mind the fact that over half of the movies are butchered to fit into a 16x9 frame and the fact that only about half of the movies are shown with 5.1 sound.

With Bev I get CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS (admittedly not every single HD show from these four because of some overlap), some TMN movies an HDPPV, HDNet sports, other random HD like some figure skating recently, and shows like The Sopranos and Band of Brothers which is from HBO anyway.

For the record, I have both systems.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-06-2002, 01:16 PM
Is there a web site where all the HD programing that will be aired, lets say in the next week, for BEV and Dish Network, is shown, so one can compare.

I am also looking for international channles. I would appreciate the help in comparing both BEV and DN international channels packages.

I_M_Norm_Al
02-06-2002, 02:29 PM
your best bet to checkout HD programming, equipment etc is www.avsforum.com (http://www.avsforum.com)

Danks
02-06-2002, 07:17 PM
"Well, I wasn't too far from bying an HD system after seeing it at my buddies home last week. F O R G E T I T ! "

I find myself drawn to the HD displays at FutureShop and elsewhere. Always thought the big projection TVs looked wretched . . but no more!!

It is still too early for me to splurge on an HD set. I want the medium to be successfull though! I hope my next set will be HD . . . and I hope the programming makes progress fast. It can't, of course, come fast enough but, so far it seems glacial. I personally do not know a single person even thinking about buying an HD set! Public awareness seems pretty low still and most consider HDTV a thing of the future . . . sort of on a par with a $20,000 plasma display set.