PDA

View Full Version : Why MS dumped UltimateTV, and E* is PVR leader

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2002, 05:00 AM
Article today explains why MS has quit the DVR game.

http://www.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?T=marketsquote99_news.ht&s=APFwVJxRVV2h5 IE1p

It also shows sales figures as follows: E*=400,000 Tivo=300,000 UTV=100,000

snoman
02-03-2002, 01:41 PM
With everybody sueing everyone else and Gemstar sueing just about everybody they can the whole PVR thing is too volatile right now. No wonder SC isn't in any rush to market one yet and Echostar's unit speaks for itself in performance and reliability.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2002, 02:05 PM
North American demand for PVR's actually dropped in 2001. I think that every PVR owner in NA posts on Kusat and/or DBSTalks.com; thus leading many others to think that it's HOT HoT hot......... the future home of most Echostar PVR's will be the marina

ddire
02-03-2002, 02:19 PM
I compare the PVR to people who own Harleys or Corvettes. Unless you own one, you just don't get it.

Remember when the VCR came out.. I do. Most people of the day said "Why would I want to record something now and then watch it later.. I'll just watch it now" or "there is nothing on worth recording anyway." Now look at who has a vcr.... EVERYBODY.

I really thought the market would explode too. There is no question though, the PVR is not going to go away. It is taking over. Unfortunatly it's still in the realm of the tv/tech junkie at this point.

Once *C and Digital Cable have them then you will see the numbers soar.

I have one and would never consider watching tv without it again. Live tv just sucks.... the only problem is sometimes live tv is the only choice, IE when you want to watch the program asap like the Nascar series or the Olympics or Super Bowl etc. Though the pause live tv and rewind have freed us from waiting for the commercial to go to the potty or fridge and then when we return to watch we can now skip the comercial as we catch up...

Life is good in this PVR household.

Danks
02-03-2002, 02:57 PM
All this hoopla is news to me. I thought PVRs were simple enough! A VCR without that crappy darned VHS cassette as it were. I looked forward to one when my VCRs die.

I don't understand any of this legal stuff and marketing these beasts seems a straightforward matter to me.

It's a wonder CD, HDTV and other complicated stuff with format compatibility concerns EVER got off the ground! As I have stated before, sometimes it seems this whole home electronics industry has a death wish.
I suppose if MS figures they can't get these things to market and make money off 'em, nobody can and it's hard to argue the point.

Machines like the Pioneer DVR7000 (a DVD player, progressive scan, that records to DVD-R/RW) are looking like the only alternative at this point.

Sad.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2002, 03:13 PM
But what % of people use their VCR's for timeshifting? Most I know rent tapes from the local Blockbuster?

mikealex
02-03-2002, 03:31 PM
Before I got my PVR, I only used my VCR for time-shifting. I haven't rented a movie on VHS for at least 6 years now (when DVD's came out).

Now that I have my PVR, my VCR sits there quality, collecting dust, wondering if it is ever going to be turned on again.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2002, 05:15 PM
My feeling is that the PVR (not DVD recorder) will be the choice of the future - for a device that complements TV. Thse are different beasts suited for differing objectives. As someone said, when the cable co.'s offer set-top PVRs (and as digital and HDTV become more mainstream), then PVR's will take off. Many successful products take time waiting for the marketplace to mature.

As for Microsoft and UTV, MS has a history of withdrawing from a market if it does not achieve early success, at least with its software products. So no surprise at the MS move given its sales numbers I quoted at top. I just feel sorry for the 370 of 500 laid-off employees, especially in this job market.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2002, 08:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Now that I have my PVR, my VCR sits there quality, collecting dust, wondering if it is ever going to be turned on again.

<hr></blockquote>

A statement that probably applies to the partners of more than one participant in this forum.

Paul
02-03-2002, 09:25 PM
LOL - good one

mika911
02-03-2002, 09:57 PM
Well, I own four PVRs total and I use several VCRs daily. I keep libaries of many things on video. Plus, I buy videos of things I love (i.e. racing series in Europe that are not broadcasted on North American TV).

I'm looking forward to when DVD recorders are more affordable.

I hope PVRs become more popular. I do not know how I lived 18 months ago when I owned ZERO PVRs. Was I reall alive then? hehe