PDA

View Full Version : It's Working! (well, sort of)

XBR_II
01-31-2002, 01:49 PM
The installer came back yesterday with the proper dish, two days ahead of schedule, and did a great job running the cables (it wasn't as easy or straightforward as one would hope). I have to tell you, I'm just blown away by this. As so many of you have said before, the picture quality is absolutely amazing.... stunning, vivid, colour and razor sharp detail. Simply amazing. Kinda makes you wish everything was broadcast in HD format.

There were a few problems, of course. I was out for the evening and when I returned, I could no longer view either HD channel (the demo loop was playing and the screen said I needed to subscribe to the movie package to view it). So I called the number on the screen, which wasn't the correct number... it said 1-800-554-STAR, but it should have been 1-888-554-STAR... hate to sound picky, but that's not something you want to mess-up.

Anyway, the first CSR I spoke with thought it might have been a cabling issue so we spent the next thirty minutes or so on the phone trying to verify everything was hooked-up correctly; lots of "on holds" while he went off to confer with someone else. I went along for the ride, even though I was pretty sure this wasn't the problem. After all, I had explained to him several times that it had been working correctly earlier that day and that I hadn't touched the cables. Draw your own conclusions.....

Finally, after confirming everything was wired as it should be, he passed me on to technical support. I waited on hold for awhile and when they answered, I explained the situation to this guy. He put me on hold. A short time later, I hear a click and the phone goes dead. I immediately call back and explain the situation to the next CSR and he puts me through to technical support. Whoever answered the phone this time picked up the receiver and without even saying "hello" put it down on his/her desk and for the next five minutes I'm listening to conversations going on in the background. Then I hear the receiver being picked up and put back on its the cradle. *Click* and the line goes dead.

I call back a third time and explain the situation to yet another CSR. Too late, it's after midnight and the people who handle HD matters have gone home for the evening. So, after much speculation back and forth, the CSR said "let's subscribe you to the movie package and see if the screen goes away". Presto! Five seconds latter, I'm watching Jay Leno. The CSR said she would subscribe me to the movie package for a day and then remove it the following day. I ask if there will be a charge for this. Yes, she replies. I said I wasn't thrilled by this, explaining that this programming should be available at no charge, so she said she would add a $2.00 credit to my account to cover this extra cost. OK, I said.

Then I asked if she could tell me how I could change the aspect ratio on the decoder so that I could watch 4:3 programming without risk of burn in. Spent a good twenty minutes trying to figure that one out (the errata sheet in the manual makes no sense at all). Eventually we both gave up. She suggested I call back this morning and see if someone else could provide me with this information.

Now before everyone starts beating up on StarChoice, I want to add that a CSR called me back last night to let me know that the technician accidentally disconnected my call and that they would giving me the movie package for a month at no additional charge (I assume this was the first technician I spoke with and not the second). I thought that was a classy touch.

I'll report back from time to time to let you know how things continue to evolve.

I_M_Norm_Al
01-31-2002, 02:28 PM
- oh oh, he's addicted already - do we see a 4DTV in XBR's future?

Dede
01-31-2002, 02:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr>

Then I asked if she could tell me how I could change the aspect ratio on the decoder so that I could watch 4:3 programming without risk of burn in. Spent a good twenty minutes trying to figure that one out (the errata sheet in the manual makes no sense at all). Eventually we both gave up. She suggested I call back this morning and see if someone else could provide me with this information.

<hr></blockquote>

I had the same problem with the 201. The trick is to turn off the 201 first, and then to press the power button and the CC button at the same time to bring up the menu. That's not what it sez in the manual (or the errata sheet).

Thanks to JohnnyG for explaining that quirk to me!

XBR_II
01-31-2002, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Dede. Yes, you're right. It doesn't state that in the manual at all. The errata points to page 14 of the manual and that page talks about warranty limitations, not screen position or aspect ratios. Maybe they should include an errata for the errata...

In any event, we were able to solve the problem with a tech earlier this morning, but I do appreciate your offer of assistance. On to day two!

XBR_II
01-31-2002, 06:22 PM
Ya just never know.... but I've got to first let that credit card cool down a bit... still need to buy a surround sound system, which should be sometime later this week (would prefer to go with Energy's Take 5.2, but looks like AR will win out based on price). In all fairness, the set's speakers aren't half bad.