PDA

View Full Version : HD movie frustration

LivingLegend
01-26-2002, 03:59 PM
It's bad enough that TMN keeps drawing on its extremely limited HD movie library to show us the same movies over and over and over again (Magnolia again, aaargghh), but their broadcast times seem to be getting worse and worse. Lately, most of the showings seem to occur in the middle of the night, or in the middle of the morning, when most of us are at work earning the money we spend to keep our subscription current.

Surely if we're expected to subscribe to TMN/MC to have access to their HD movies, we should be able to actually see them at a reasonable hour! Right now, for instance, the PPV-HD channel is quiet until Shrek at 6:30 EST, but the available bandwidth on 285 is being used for yet more runs through the dismal Botannical Gardens/figure skating/airshow demo reel; why not a TMN movie, even if it is one we've already seen a thousand times before?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-27-2002, 06:05 PM
I've decided to skip the TMN/CMT (i'm out west) HD option for the same reasons... and also the lack of DD5.1 that comes with them. I have chosen instead to watch the excellent HD programming and DD5.1 movies and network dramas on ABC and spend $10-15 of the $20 required for a TMN sub to get a few PPV movies per month, also in DD5.1. This gives a lot of HD or 480p movies, and no repeats.
I can live with the commercial breaks while watching ABC, it's worth it to get the HD PQ and audio from a network. James Bond now on every Saturday night, a Steven King movie tonight, primetime HD shows, etc, ABC has impressed me with its commitment to HD. While most of the PPV are not HD widescreen, the PQ is dvd quality and the DD audio sells it for me. Shrek on PPV AC3 is better than the HD version and less expensive too, IMO due to the upgraded audio.
This combo gives you probably up to a dozen differenct movies per month that you can watch when you want to or during network primetime. Throw in a dvd rental or two per month and I end up with more than enough high quality (dvd or hd PQ and audio) movies to watch and get everything out of my HT system that I paid for.

Bert

Bugsy2
01-28-2002, 12:50 AM
I'm watching the ABC HD presentation "Mouse Hunt", in DD 5.1 sound, on channel 286 on BEV right now. An order of magnitude better than anything I have ever seen on Movie Central or Viewers Choice. Ever! And they have the arrogance to label themselves as "premium" channels. They dont get any of my money. Cheers.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-28-2002, 03:53 PM
I agree with everyone here as well. I find it amusing that they would offer HD movies and NOT have them in AC3. I mean you KNOW that anyone who is getting the programming in HD has a satellite reciever that can process it, so why not send it? It seems the most ludicrous thing in the world to me.

I am also quite perterbed by the movie times. MAYBE if I lived on the west coast the times wouldn't be too bad. As it is I'm thinking of dropping the movie package because of the small selection, lack of AC3 and terrible times. Of course I can't talk to the PPV channel, since I have no way to pay for that, but if that has no AC3 I wouldn't pay for it anyways. In fact I'd probably be very perturbed that I paid for an HD movie that didn't have it when other non-HD PPV channels do have it. That would be very annoying.

It would also be nice if during evenings, like last night, when the ABC East feed only has, say, a one hour show in HD but nothing else if BEV would switch to the CBS East feed for the remainder of the time instead of forcing a wait to show all of the CBS feed at the West coast time... hmm... It's starting to look like a Pacific Time Zone conspiracy to me...

Lenny Zimmermann
New Orleans, LA (Southern Canada...REALLY far southern Canada)

I_M_Norm_Al
01-28-2002, 04:57 PM
Expressvu's HD competition in Canada is Rogers Cable. (Star Choice is asleep - typical Shaw culture). So anything that Expressvu does will be aimed at more sales in "The Centre of the Universe"

**DONOTDELETE**
01-31-2002, 05:53 AM
I've had my 6000 since April and I'm really getting frustrated with the TMN lineup on hdtv as well. I'd drop tmn, but I like the series they run and I'm never sure when a new one (or a new season of one) is going to start. Now that I'm hearing that rogers is offering 8 full time hdtv channels I'm thinking about moving.

Scooter

snoman
01-31-2002, 01:18 PM
SC isn't asleep,they are trying very hard to be a distant second place player and they are doing a damn good job of it too.
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif