PDA

View Full Version : Source of PBS HD on BEV?

Bogney
01-26-2002, 02:16 PM
BEV shows many hours of the PBS HD loop everyday on channel 286. I am curious about how BEV gets their feed. It does not appear to be WGBH-DT Boston since that station is not broadcasting full time (according to many posts on AVScience). Could it be the Seattle PBS station? Or are they allowed to take the national PBS-HD feed directly from the satellite?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-26-2002, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure. It is definitely the "live" National feed because it synchs up with my OTA feed (not Boston) which is a pass through from National, but as to whether Bev is getting it through another station or not, I dont know.

I_M_Norm_Al
01-26-2002, 05:13 PM
C Band

snoman
01-27-2002, 01:14 AM
Probably the national DCII feed SC uses.
It's the only PBS HD feed on C band.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-28-2002, 02:16 PM
Actually the PBS HD feed is a ATSC satellite stream on AMC 3 transponder 21. It is not DC II like the other PBS feeds on AMC 3. The HD ATSC signal is meant to be retransmited, unprocessed, OTA by the PBS transmitters. However some DVB receivers, with proper pid's can be setup to get it. It is 25850 Mbps * (3/4) = 19387.5 Mbps to get the standard OTA data rate

snoman
01-29-2002, 01:44 AM
Oh, I thought it was DCII like all the other ones. My bad.
So that means a UM box can pick it up as well as ABC and NBC right?

Paul
01-29-2002, 02:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

So that means a UM box can pick it up

<hr></blockquote>
Yes the UM box can pickup the PBS HD feed. I thought that NBC had moved to 4:2:2 with Tandberg boxes.

I'm confused about how the data rate coincides with the transponder bandwidth - anyone know the formula?

Since Directv, SC, NBC and PBS are putting 1 HD feed on 27 mghz transponders, HBO &amp; Showtime have 1 on 33 mghz, I am wondering what data rates are on Dish/Expressvu where there are 2 feeds on 27 mghz transponder.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-29-2002, 03:04 PM
I believe that the HBO/Showtime HD feeds are uplinked in DCII for the cable head ends, whereas DTV/E* use fibre to the uplink so that they don't have to reprocess signal from DCII to mpeg before uplinking