PDA

View Full Version : Plasma displays:Comments?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-05-2001, 08:40 PM
Just wondering, has anyone seen a plasma display yet? How does it compare to direct view, front projection, lcd? NTSC/HDTV?

Yes I know they are EXPENSIVE but I'm curious.

Greg

JohnnyG
03-05-2001, 09:29 PM
They are very bright and have great contrast. On the downside, colours aren't very accurate, colour gradients often show banding and overall resolution is low except in the ultra-expensive models.

Generally, they are recommened for space-constrained environments only (boats, planes, etc) and are not considered to be of videophile quality.

There are exceptions though. One of my customers (an editor for Stereophile) recently eval'd a Pioneer 50" HD Plasma display and loved it. I believe the price on that unit is around the $25k mark.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-05-2001, 09:35 PM
We've got a couple at work. The form factor is cool but the picture isn't quite there yet. The pixels are widely spaced which makes them look like a Lite Brite up close. They also have problems with banding.. the colour depth seems too low for smooth gradients. Burn-in is another problem. We use ours for computer text and they're both badly burnt.

I'd eventually like to have one at home, but I think it's worthwhile to wait for the price to come down and technology to improve.

[edit]
JohnnyG beat me to the punch!

[This message has been edited by djp (edited 03-05-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
03-06-2001, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

The Gulfstream will just have to make do with its front projector for now. <g>

Greg