View Full Version : 921 without a S.C. subscription question.

12-20-2001, 12:12 AM
I plan to cancel my S.C. subscription soon. Will I still be able to receive the U.S. FTA channels and the 4dtv IPG without a subscription to S.C.?

12-20-2001, 01:06 PM
The US FTA stuff may work for a while but the IPG will most likely stop since your receiver won't be authorized any longer.
You may want to suspend your account instead or sell your 921 and get a 920 inwhich case you will still need a digital subscription to get the IPG and freebies.
Either way your screwed unless you only use them for analog stuff.

BTW did you enjoy the free HBO and Cinemax on P9? They're encrypted again but they were free for about a week.

[This message has been edited by snoman (edited 12-20-2001).]

12-21-2001, 01:28 AM
If I don't point the dish at F1 or E2 the IRD shouldn't take a de-sub signal. I'll see what happens.

I think PAS 9 is beyond the physical limit of my dish (I'm in western Sask.)

12-21-2001, 01:21 PM
That may very well work as long as you park on G0 to keep the digitals up and running.
I've never cancelled before,only suspended.
If P9 is beyond your east limit before you cancel in case you need to do a MR and a rehit you may want to retract your dish completely,loosen the actuator casing clamp and manually move the dish sliding the actuator casing just west of where W7 is then retighten your actuator clamp.You then will have to reprogram the east/west limits and all your satellites but the arm should reach all the way past P9 now.
Good luck.

BTW why are cancelling SC?
Just curious.

[This message has been edited by snoman (edited 12-21-2001).]

12-21-2001, 06:05 PM
How long can I suspend my programming for? I switched to exvu...I wasn't unhappy with S.C I just got bored and decided to try a new system. I have a S.C. dish at the cottage so I may renew my programming in the summer. I would have cut down a several 30'+ trees if I wanted to point a dish a nimiq.

[This message has been edited by zoso66 (edited 12-21-2001).]

12-24-2001, 03:34 AM
I honestly don't know but 6 months would be my guess.

12-24-2001, 04:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zoso66:
I plan to cancel my S.C. subscription soon. Will I still be able to receive the U.S. FTA channels and the 4dtv IPG without a subscription to S.C.?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In order to get subscription 4DTV digital a 920, 922 or 905 is required. Same for 4DTV HD. Many have traded 921 for 920 via websites or auctions. If you want SC again, 3XX/4XX receivers are cheap and using a pizza dish for it means less wear,tear & repairs on BUD mechaisms.

[This message has been edited by paulthemaster (edited 12-24-2001).]

12-24-2001, 06:20 PM
I've decided to keep a minimum S.C. subscription.

I did manage to get PAS9....I just took the UHF remote out by the dish and set my east limit.

A 920 or 905 would be nice but they cost around $700 and my 921 is worth less than $300.

[This message has been edited by zoso66 (edited 12-24-2001).]

12-26-2001, 12:15 AM
Check e bay for a used one,you may get lucky.