PDA

View Full Version : Rogers price increase March 1, 2007

NewBoy
12-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Well, you knew it was coming with word that Xvu & SC are dishing out price increases, the cable cos. would not be far behind. Got my latest bill today and in there is a notice that Rogers will be increasing the rate of Basic Cable again! :mad: as well as increases to other items effecitve March 1. Why can't they increase the fees for other packages,why is it always Basic Cable?! I guess because they are trying to get more money off us who only subscribe to the basic pack. Well they won't be getting any more from me because I am cancelling my service once this increase takes effect- $27.49 /mo. for a package that is over 50% comprised of locals is too much for me. This is ludicrious and unbelievable, then they have the nerve to complain about the grey marketers- more power to them I say! You go with what you can afford and more importantly with whomever gives you the most for your money- $30 for nothing but locals is not a good deal in IMO!

Anyway, here are the items whose rate is increasing:

Basic Cable- $27.49 (up from $25.99)
SD Digital box rental- $ 4.49
HDTV Specialty pack- $7.95

Hard TV (formerly Pridevision)- $13.95
RAI International- $5.99
SSTV- $9.95
ATN Aastha TV- $14.95
ATN Bangla- $14.95
ATN Zee Gujarati- $14.95
ATN NDTV- $14.95
ATN Zee Cinema- $14.95
Abu Dhabi TV- $14.95
FPTV- $14.95
TV Globo- $16.95

I wonder if Rogers is increasing the price of these channels or if its the broadcaster?

bigoranget
12-30-2006, 01:39 AM
That seems like quite an increase for RAI International. Wasn't it $2.49 before?

MCIBUS
12-30-2006, 02:17 AM
Well, you knew it was coming with word that Xvu & SC are dishing out price increases, the cable cos. would not be far behind. Got my latest bill today and in there is a notice that Rogers will be increasing the rate of Basic Cable again! :mad: as well as increases to other items effecitve March 1. Why can't they increase the fees for other packages,why is it always Basic Cable?! I guess because they are trying to get more money off us who only subscribe to the basic pack. Well they won't be getting any more from me because I am cancelling my service once this increase takes effect- $27.49 /mo. for a package that is over 50% comprised of locals is too much for me. This is ludicrious and unbelievable, then they have the nerve to complain about the grey marketers- more power to them I say! You go with what you can afford and more importantly with whomever gives you the most for your money- $30 for nothing but locals is not a good deal in IMO!

Anyway, here are the items whose rate is increasing:

Basic Cable- $27.49 (up from $25.99)
SD Digital box rental- $ 4.49
HDTV Specialty pack- $7.95

Hard TV (formerly Pridevision)- $13.95
RAI International- $5.99
SSTV- $9.95
ATN Aastha TV- $14.95
ATN Bangla- $14.95
ATN Zee Gujarati- $14.95
ATN NDTV- $14.95
ATN Zee Cinema- $14.95
Abu Dhabi TV- $14.95
FPTV- $14.95
TV Globo- $16.95

I wonder if Rogers is increasing the price of these channels or if its the broadcaster?

since I switched everything to Rogers and got the largest Digital package $89.95/month for 12 months I'm protected.

However?

I'm not protected on the digital boxes rentals though and not sure about the Greek Combo.

But I think its the whole saler thats raised it prices. Why are some ethnic peics going up while not others, if it was rogers they would of hit all the ethnic services,

newdigitalcable
12-30-2006, 02:34 AM
Hey, you're not getting an increase on the Greek stations. Rogers always raises its prices in March. You cant win, no matter which provider you choose, they are all raising their prices. I have all 4 services with Rogers so I still get a 15 percent discount across the board.

MCIBUS
12-30-2006, 02:46 AM
Hey, you're not getting an increase on the Greek stations. Rogers always raises its prices in March. You cant win, no matter which provider you choose, they are all raising their prices. I have all 4 services with Rogers so I still get a 15 percent discount across the board.

Well I also get a discount

Cable
internet
Home phone(got a portable DVD player out of it. 'Appex' not a brandd name but still free, better then nothing)

switching to Rogers celluar in march as well

I hear yeah

Regardles her you go you get NAILED!!

but thats the facts of life everything goes up

food
gas
oil
insurance
taxes
etc,etc,etc

the only thing that doesn't sem to go up as fast is your pay, you see less and les of it as it goes to pay bills, bills bills.

NewBoy
12-30-2006, 04:13 AM
That seems like quite an increase for RAI International. Wasn't it $2.49 before?

It was $2.49 when it first launched but recently was raised to $3.99 (current price). Now another increase, Italians will be loving this. ;) I think eventually it will be the same price as the others, around $15.

SkiBunny
12-31-2006, 04:41 AM
Well i heard on the news that all the service providers will begin having to pay to broadcast those local network channels, which used to be free. That's what's outrageous, considering these are free OTA channels with heaps of advertising and darn little quality programming.

That charge to the providers is one reason why basic cable price must rise... buggers, all of ''em.

newdigitalcable
12-31-2006, 01:07 PM
The CRTC has not rendered a decision on this yet. I personally doubt they will allow the broadcasters to charge fees for carriage. We will see.

greensky
01-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Currently, I am paying ATN ZEE Hindi (Rogers 604) $14.95, ATN AASTHA TV (Rogers 584) $5.00 and ATN ZEE GUJARATI $5.00 (Rogers 583). My current billing have info for me from Rogers that from 1st March/07 all these channels would be $14.95 each. However, ATN it self advertising $5.00 each for AASTHA & GUJARATI if one have ATN itself with $14.95.

Whom am I suppose to trust? I have sent email to Rogers which is not yet responded. I am having other services from Rogers eg Internet etc totalling $110.00 monthly.

Is Express Vu and Sympatico are better then Rogers?

MCIBUS
01-08-2007, 03:31 AM
Currently, I am paying ATN ZEE Hindi (Rogers 604) $14.95, ATN AASTHA TV (Rogers 584) $5.00 and ATN ZEE GUJARATI $5.00 (Rogers 583). My current billing have info for me from Rogers that from 1st March/07 all these channels would be $14.95 each. However, ATN it self advertising $5.00 each for AASTHA & GUJARATI if one have ATN itself with $14.95.

Whom am I suppose to trust? I have sent email to Rogers which is not yet responded. I am having other services from Rogers eg Internet etc totalling $110.00 monthly.

Is Express Vu and Sympatico are better then Rogers?

Well for the sympatico I had trouble with it, but that was just for me.

As for exoressvu there ok had them for almost 8 years, as for the ATN channels I'm not sure exacxtly which ones they care or what the prices are,

But I honestly can see each channel being $14.95 each. I don't know if its ATN or Rogers but if they expect those subs to ATN to that for each channek, I'll bet there will be alot of cancalations or scale back on how many you sub to.

newdigitalcable
01-08-2007, 03:47 PM
You should look closely at your Bill. Rogers shows the individual prices of the channels and then shows a credit for the discount you are recieving for subscribing to the 3 channels. I know their bills are somewhat confusing. I always examine mine closely.

CFTO21
01-11-2007, 03:48 AM
Well they won't be getting any more from me because I am cancelling my service once this increase takes effect- $27.49 /mo. for a package that is over 50% comprised of locals is too much for me. This is ludicrious and unbelievable, then they have the nerve to complain about the grey marketers- more power to them I say! You go with what you can afford and more importantly with whomever gives you the most for your money- $30 for nothing but locals is not a good deal in IMO!

Cable isn't worth the money for me, based on what I watch and the amount I watch. An outdoor antenna will pay for itself, probably in under a year.