PDA

View Full Version : Loosing "CBC" on E2 ?

**DONOTDELETE**
10-22-2000, 03:23 PM
I heard that CBC on Anik E2 are going
MPEG-2 ?... If they do I don't think that is
Fair... (I remember as a Kids watching the Old Re-runs of Star Trek on Sunday Morning...) I tought CBC was supposed to be accesible by anyone even with
"Rabbit Ears" ? wich it mean beside 4DTV i would need a second receiver to whatch "Hockey Night" on Saturday ?...
(I guess my 2730R is slowly going out of Style!....)

Thanks...

antunes
10-29-2000, 10:04 PM
It's a disaster for C band viewers.

The folks at CBC have chosen a version of MPEG2 that is incompatible with the DVB standard and the DC2 standard.

They are switching to a flavor of digital which will only be viewable on very expensive (c. $5000) Tandberg digital receivers. These are unit addressable. So it is possible that a few individuals might buy a unit only to find that the CBC won't authorize the unit for reception of their signal.

I am rather surprised there hasn't been more public discussion of the CBC's decision to abandon rural viewers. Those folks will now have to buy DBS equipment and pay for access to the CBC signal.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2000, 05:58 AM
I'm surprise they did this ...
does that mean that either with rabbit ears
we won't be able either to wtach CBC ?...
and Belive me I wont be paying $5K for a receiver just to watch CBC... unless they add TMN & Some Canadian PPV & all maybe!!!

**DONOTDELETE**
12-14-2000, 12:49 AM
The three main CBC analog satellite feeds on the Anik E2 satellite will be around for a little bit longer

Atlantic and Pacific feeds (transponders 9 and 5) will not make the switch until Dec. 12
Montreal feed (transponder 1) will remain analog until January 8, 2001
no word yet when the collector feeds (transponders 17 and 23), which also show Saturday night hockey on an occasional basis, will make the transition

CBC has decided to go with the Tandberg (www.tandberg.com) digital receiver that is DVB and uses 8psk not the QPSK standard. To date this is the first receiver that uses 8psk and its cost is $6000cdn. Mind you that CBC will still be available over the air (channel 6).

[This message has been edited by Bud (edited 12-13-2000).]