PDA

View Full Version : Shaw digital upgrade complete

snoman
10-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Finally as of November 1 high speed internet and digital cable will be available here. I can't wait to dump dialup.

MorningTotem
10-27-2006, 09:14 PM
We moved into a new condo with a north facing view and we can no longer use our Starchoice dish.

Shaw digital channels have far less compression than Starchoice and Expressvu. We just bought a DCT 6200 HD Decoder box from Shaw and the whole experience has been frustrating.

This is day four since we had the DCT 6200 and Shaw is having difficulties with their computers and they can not send a strong signal to my decoder box. They said they have been having problems getting the signals to return from the box in order for them to activate it properly. The Shaw techie is supposed to be here anytime between 2 and 4 PM so hopefully s/he will get the box up and running.

I was holding off on getting a HD box because Shaw OVERCHARGES for their box. Starchoice has a similar Motorola box that sells for $149. Shaw sells their basic HD box for $449. When I asked about the differences in prices with a Shaw rep about six months ago, he had a cavalier attitude and said that if people want to pay $449 for a box, then let them. He went on about supply and demand (weak arguement) and stated if I wanted a box, better get one soon as they keep selling out. So I was not interested in getting the Shaw HD box. Now, there are 13 hd channels (albeit not HD 24 hrs per day on all channels) so I decided to take the plunge. After forking out $508 in total, Shaw can not get the box activated.

Hopefully, you will have a better experience trying to get the hd boxes activated.

Wayne

travisc
10-28-2006, 03:54 AM
Those HD boxes cost north of $300 US, so Shaw is making some money on it, but not a massive amount. Star Choice has apparently made a decision to subsidize boxes to get customers, just as ExpressVu and a lot of other providers do. Jim Shaw said (yesterday?) that Shaw was going to stop subsidizing boxes altogether.

snoman
10-28-2006, 04:31 AM
After seeing the cable bundles offered and no HD PVR trade ins I decided to keep my 9200 and just buy HS internet. I'm quite satisfied with the 9200 and have no reason to give it up yet. I just wish they would dump the mandatory SD locals and offer them as an addon like cable does.

MorningTotem
10-29-2006, 09:12 PM
well. finally Shaw fixed their computer problem and my DCT 6200 is now up and running. All is looking good so far.

The techie who came over to our house said that Shaw has developed a parallel network that will contain only digital channels. i.e. all current channels except for the HDTV will be on a seperate digital network. There will be a new decoder box, the size of about three stacked DVD cases, that will be for the new parallel network. Since there is no analog tuner, the digital box is quite small. I am looking forward to this, but like I said earlier, it will not be able to access the HDTV channels.

travisc
10-30-2006, 03:47 AM
That would be the DCT700. Shaw is well behind the times :) They'll probably also start offering the all-digital DCT3416 (dual-tuner HD PVR) and possibly the all-digital DCT3080 (dual-tuner SD PVR).