PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't feel like home

North0f60
10-22-2006, 04:47 PM
You know the feeling you get when you first moved into a new house or get a new job?
Thats what it feels like on the new board. I know it's only been a day and a half and not many have posted here yet but man. It just doesn't feel the same.

snoman
10-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Feels weird doesn't it. It'll take a little getting used to.

Cat_Rain
10-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Yes, it feels like home. Digital Home Canada that is...lol

MCIBUS
10-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Feels weird doesn't it. It'll take a little getting used to.

The only thing I miss is the colour codes for the forum. In the old one I had the blue background and was easy to read the forum. Now with this white back ground its hard to read. I will say this , this board is not visully impaired friendly I can tell you that. :mad:

North0f60
10-22-2006, 07:02 PM
I used to have a Black background with white text.

konde
10-22-2006, 07:07 PM
What's with the bold type Tom? It gets hard on the eyes.

MCIBUS
10-22-2006, 07:13 PM
What's with the bold type Tom? It gets hard on the eyes.

Because it helps me read my own replies better.

I have to high light everything everytim to read it good. You see I have a sligh visual disablity.

I have no problem with the board, except I wish you could pick your colour scheme.

Tup
10-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Yeah...it seems like the number of posts is WAY down. I'm having trouble finding my way around.....why did this change happen again?

XBR_II
10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah...it seems like the number of posts is WAY down. I'm having trouble finding my way around.....why did this change happen again?

I've encountered a number of strange things thus far, e.g., I just posted to the climate change thread but that thread is not appearing on my screen (i.e., its not shown in the Off Topic list).

Another minor quibble.... when I go back to the main page and hit F5 to refresh, the little cork board icon still shows that there are unread posts in the forum I've just visited, even though I've read them all.

Cheers,
Paul

Jaspear
10-22-2006, 07:58 PM
I've encountered a number of strange things thus far, e.g., I just posted to the climate change thread but that thread is not appearing on my screen (i.e., its not shown in the Off Topic list).

Another minor quibble.... when I go back to the main page and hit F5 to refresh, the little cork board icon still shows that there are unread posts in the forum I've just visited, even though I've read them all.

Cheers,
Paul

How about this? That whole second paragraph above does not appear in your completed post!

Edit: Now it does. Go figure!

That "climate change" thread has become really exclusive, hasn't it?;) How did you post in it if you can't see it?

XBR_II
10-22-2006, 08:06 PM
How about this? That whole second paragraph above does not appear in your completed post!

That "climate change" thread has become really exclusive, hasn't it?;) How did you post in it if you can't see it?

Hi Jaspear,

Not sure I understand your first point but then I'm not one for thinking on my feet... oh oh, I'm sitting down.... never mind

As for your second point, I found the thread using the search function. Normally when you post, that thread goes to the top of the list but in this case it didn't (at least it didn't on my screen).

BTW, care for a cup of fair trade coffee? :p

Cheers,
Paul

Darkman
10-22-2006, 08:06 PM
You know the feeling you get when you first moved into a new house or get a new job?

.. or get a new girlfriend, wife, etc :D

Eventually you should be able to adjust to new situation, surroundings, person, etc..
And eventually "you will get used to it" :)

.. or i hope so anyhow ;)

Jaspear
10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi Jaspear,

Not sure I understand your first point but then I'm not one for thinking on my feet... oh oh, I'm sitting down.... never mind

Your post only included the first paragraph. After I replied, both paragraphs appeared.

As for your second point, I found the thread using the search function. Normally when you post, that thread goes to the top of the list but in this case it didn't (at least it didn't on my screen).

BTW, care for a cup of fair trade coffee? :p

Why XBR_II. I'd love a cup. As long as the trade was voluntary and free of government coercion, of course.;)

XBR_II
10-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Why XBR_II. I'd love a cup. As long as the trade was voluntary and free of government coercion, of course.;)

Uhmm, may I offer you a glass of water then? ;)

More oddness.... I noticed the times viewed counter doesn't update when I leave a thread and go back to the list, even though I press F5 to reload the page (I guess my eye balls don't count).

Cheers,
Paul

Jaspear
10-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Uhmm, may I offer you a glass of water then? ;)

Looks like I summed up "fair trade" pretty well then, didn't I?;) :)

More oddness.... I noticed the times viewed counter doesn't update when I leave a thread and go back to the list, even though I press F5 to reload the page (I guess my eye balls don't count).

I noticed that as well. Also, Todd's post in the "climate change" thread with the 12/31/1969 time stamp.

XBR_II
10-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Looks like I summed up "fair trade" pretty well then, didn't I?;) :)

No, I can't guarantee a gun wasn't held to Juan Valdez's head. However, for those who wish to learn more....

http://www.transfairusa.org/content/about/overview.php

Oh, did I mention that water was taken from the Sydney tar ponds? Opps! :eek:

Cheers,
Paul

Jaspear
10-22-2006, 09:18 PM
No, I can't guarantee a gun wasn't held to Juan Valdez's head. However, for those who wish to learn more....

http://www.transfairusa.org/content/about/overview.php

And of course, that's the rub. Eventually, the organizers can't resist the siren call of government force.

This from a PDF titled "GROUNDS FOR COMPLAINT? ‘Fair trade’ and the coffee crisis" By Brink Lindsey:

A number of interventionist initiatives have
been launched or proposed in response to the coffee
market’s perceived breakdown. The best
known is the “fair trade” coffee campaign, in
which roasters and retailers are pressured by
activist groups to sell coffee grown under specified
conditions and purchased at above-market prices.
In addition, the Specialty Coffee Association of
America and producer interests from Colombia,
Mexico, and Central America are pushing the
introduction of legislation in the U.S. Congress
that would impose new quality standards. Under
the draft legislation, imported coffee failing to
meet those standards would have to be labeled
“coffee by-products.” Meanwhile, Oxfam has
gone further and outlined a wide-ranging “Coffee
Rescue Plan” that would include destroying
excess stocks as well as fair-trade and qualitystandard
initiatives. Over the longer term, Oxfam
advocates a return to the political management of
the coffee market by producer and consumer
country governments

No coercion there, eh? It's not so much a gun pointed a Juan's head, XBR_II, but rather at ours.

http://www.adamsmith.org/pdf/groundsforcomplaint.pdf

omar
10-22-2006, 10:08 PM
The climate change thread is missing the first several posts within the thread.

I see no "sticky" threads at all. oddly enough the climate change still shows as a sticky when you 'search' for it but it's not at the start of OTF

imported_filou
10-22-2006, 10:26 PM
The problem is that this is what UBB Threads (the old software) now looks like: http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

I think we can all be happy this does not look like that.

HOWEVER: Wait a few days. New look on its way.

XBR_II
10-22-2006, 10:31 PM
And of course, that's the rub. Eventually, the organizers can't resist the siren call of government force.

[....]

No coercion there, eh? It's not so much a gun pointed a Juan's head, XBR_II, but rather at ours.

Do you think we should pitch our own debate show to Fox or CNN? :)

Is the Fair Trade Council (or this broader movement in general) in any way restricting the availability of non-certified coffee now or have they declared that to be their intention? Is such a thing possible? And even if that were their ultimate goal, is Philip Morris/Kraft/General Foods that powerless in Washington? No, don't think so.

As for imposing certain minimum quality standards, that would presumably be the responsibility of the FDA and so long as those standards are intended to protect consumers from unsafe products -- that is to say, to ensure food purity and not to discriminate against competitors -- I see no real harm. Again, I'm sure Philip Morris, Nestle and the other multi-billion dollar players in this market will ensure their interests are very well taken care of [think Canadian softwood].

So, in reality, this is nothing more than a labelling programme that tells customers the product they have selected meets the standards of this council, much like the EnergyStar label tells consumers their appliance meets that programme's rating criteria. And just as consumers are free to buy non-EnergyStar appliances, all of us can freely purchase coffee not certified by the Fair Trade Council.

And just pulling your leg about the water. ;)

Cheers,
Paul

XBR_II
10-22-2006, 10:38 PM
The climate change thread is missing the first several posts within the thread.

I see no "sticky" threads at all. oddly enough the climate change still shows as a sticky when you 'search' for it but it's not at the start of OTF

Hi Omar,

Indeed, the ones at the beginning of the thread as well as some of the most recent.

I saw the pin symbol as well but, alas, it isn't doing its job. And, as you noted, even when you post to this thread, it doesn't move to the top of the list.

Cheers,
Paul

Jaspear
10-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Do you think we should pitch our own debate show to Fox or CNN? :)

A capital idea old chap. Perhaps we could have Paul D. Ryan moderate.:D

Is the Fair Trade Council (or this broader movement in general) in any way restricting the availability of non-certified coffee now or have they declared that to be their intention?

As far as I know, not now, but as you so plainly can see in my post above, they most certainly would love to restrict and are agitating governments to do just that. The very same crowd is using Kyoto to accomplish that right now. You said it yourself when you said (paraphrasing) "companies will either get with the program, or get left behind."

Is such a thing possible?

You bet! It happens in capitols all over the world, every day.

And even if that were their ultimate goal, is Philip Morris/Kraft/General Foods that powerless in Washington? No, don't think so.

Two wrongs make a right? *I* am as opposed to welfare for corporations as I am welfare for Juan.

As for imposing certain minimum quality standards, that would presumably be the responsibility of the FDA and so long as those standards are intended to protect consumers from unsafe products -- that is to say, to ensure food purity and not to discriminate against competitors -- I see no real harm.

Without getting into a debate over the effectiveness or raison d'être of the FDA, I have no problem with them doing their job. Is using force to rename non "fair trade" coffee a "by product" to satisfy the guilt of leftists part of the mandate to protect consumers?

Again, I'm sure Philip Morris, Nestle and the other multi-billion dollar players in this market will ensure their interests are very well taken care of [think Canadian softwood].

I'd be willing to work with you to eliminate corporate influence on government if you're willing to work with me to insure that fair trade remains a voluntary effort, from grower to drinker. What do you think?;)

So, in reality, this is nothing more than a labelling programme that tells customers the product they have selected meets the standards of this council, much like the EnergyStar label tells consumers their appliance meets that programme's rating criteria. And just as consumers are free to buy non-EnergyStar appliances, all of us can freely purchase coffee not certified by the Fair Trade Council.

No, we'll be free to run down to our local Overwaitea, and buy a brick of over priced Nabob By-Product. It would be illegal to call politically incorrect coffee, coffee, if the "fair trade" crowd gets it's way.

But, how about this in the interim between now and then? A government mandated warning label on all non-approved coffee containers, in 50 point black letters on a stark white background that reads:

WARNING: THE NANNY GENERAL HAS DETERMINED THAT BUYING NO FAIR COFFEE IS AN AFFRONT TO LEFTISTS AND IS HAZARDOUS TO THEIR WEALTH TRANSFER SCHEMES

Would that help soothe feelings during the transition? Maybe we could also have attorney generals in the numerous states and provinces sue the tobacc......oops, I mean coffee companies, charging them with exploiting the third world masses and asking for billions in "compensation". After all, we know *that* works.:rolleyes:

Jaspear
10-23-2006, 12:49 AM

Posts are way down every weekend. Wait until tomorrow, when the usual suspects get back to "work". All will be well.:D

XBR_II
10-23-2006, 01:24 AM
A capital idea old chap. Perhaps we could have Paul D. Ryan moderate.

Only if Al Gore isn't busy running for the Whitehouse come 2008... :)

As far as I know, not now, but as you so plainly see can in my post above, they most certainly would love to restrict and are agitating governments to do just that. The very same crowd is using Kyoto to do just that right now. You said it yourself when you said (paraphrasing) "companies will either get with program, or get left behind."

Well, if we use Kyoto as a true measure of their success in America, you can rest well at night.

You bet! It happens in capitols all over the world, every day.

So the world capitals where I am restricted to buying just free trade coffee (or free range chickens for that matter) would be?

Two wrongs make a right? *I* am as opposed to welfare for corporations as I am welfare for Juan.

And since corporate welfare is a given and since it looks like it's going to stay that way....

Without getting into a debate over the effectiveness or raison d'être of the FDA, I have no problem with them doing their job. Is using force to rename non "fair trade" coffee a "by product" to satisfy the guilt of leftists part of the mandate to protect consumers?

This hasn't happened, of course, and there's no legislative backing for such. Frankly, the Vegas odds that I'll fit into my size 29 pants look better. :eek:

I'd be willing to work with you to eliminate corporate influence on government if you're willing to work with me to insure that fair trade remains a voluntary effort, from grower to drinker. What do you think?

As to eliminating (even reducing) corporate influence over government, you have my full support, but we seem to disagree on whether fair trade is voluntary or not. You're gonna-have-ta work on that!

No, we'll be free to run down to our local Overwaitea, and buy a brick of over priced Nabob By-Product. It would be illegal to call politically incorrect coffee, coffee, if the "fair trade" crowd get it's way.

If I'm not mistaken, Rosauers has it on sale this week.

But, how about this in the interim between now and then? A government mandated warning label on all non-approved coffee containers, in 50 point black letters on a stark white background that reads:

WARNING: THE NANNY GENERAL HAS DETERMINED THAT BUYING NO FAIR COFFEE IS AN AFFRONT TO LEFTISTS AND IS HAZARDOUS TO THEIR WEALTH TRANSFER SCHEMES

Would that help soothe feelings during transition? Maybe we could also have attorney generals in the numerous states and provinces sue the tobacc......oops, I mean coffee companies, charging them with exploiting the third world masses and asking for billions in "compensation". After all, we know *that* works.:rolleyes:

You better make your's decaf. :p

Cheers,
Paul

MCIBUS
10-23-2006, 01:44 AM
The problem is that this is what UBB Threads (the old software) now looks like: http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

I think we can all be happy this does not look like that.

HOWEVER: Wait a few days. New look on its way.

I hope one oif the new things is colour choice.

XBR_II
10-23-2006, 02:02 AM
I hope one oif the new things is colour choice.

Hi Tom,

If you find the on screen text a little too small to read comfortably, you can increase the size of the display font by holding down the <Ctrl> key and pressing <+> (<Ctrl> and <-> to shrink). At least that's how it works in Netscape and I assume other browsers too.

Sometimes adjusting your monitor's brightness and contrast can make a big difference in visual comfort (I have mine set at low brightness which I find works best for me in the case of white backgrounds). Experiment with that and see if it helps you.

Cheers,
Paul

MeSat
10-23-2006, 04:39 PM
.. or get a new girlfriend, wife, etc :D

Eventually you should be able to adjust to new situation, surroundings, person, etc..
And eventually "you will get used to it" :)

.. or i hope so anyhow ;)

Getting a new girlfriend can be a lot of fun until the old wife finds out. ;)

A6D9
10-23-2006, 10:54 PM
i agree, i like the older forum, but in time i feel we will all get used to this..:)

thanx admin

Jaspear
10-24-2006, 06:06 AM
So the world capitals where I am restricted to buying just free trade coffee (or free range chickens for that matter) would be?

I was referring to the "or have they declared that to be their intention?" part of your question, which of course they have through their proposal to rename - through government force - all no fair coffee a "by product".

And since corporate welfare is a given and since it looks like it's going to stay that way.... Just like welfare for Juan. Sad situation, ain't it?;)

I'd be willing to work with you to eliminate corporate influence on government if you're willing to work with me to insure that fair trade remains a voluntary effort, from grower to drinker. What do you think?

As to eliminating (even reducing) corporate influence over government, you have my full support, but we seem to disagree on whether fair trade is voluntary or not. You're gonna-have-ta work on that!

No effort needed at all. If it's voluntary system, as it was originally designed, government is not involved in mandating, restricting or distorting the supply or price in any way. Otherwise, it's no longer voluntary.

You better make your's decaf. :pBut I'd be much less entertaining!:)

Filthy
10-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Posts are sure down since the new board was brought online. Are people abandoning the site, having trouble using the site, or just have nothing to say (yeah right....)

BSmithern
10-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Posts are sure down since the new board was brought online. Are people abandoning the site, having trouble using the site, or just have nothing to say (yeah right....)

:(

Just not the same. This just looks like every other board now. The other forum was original and was really easy to use and know what you have and have not read visually.

This is just another forum now. Sorry to those who have worked so hard to update, but in the change or not thread on the other forum, to be fair, I did post that I would prefer the board stay the same and be original.

Jaspear
10-24-2006, 05:25 PM

Yeah, so much for my "they'll be back on Monday" line! Where'd everybody go?:confused:

Edit: XBR_II excepted, of course! :)

starchoice
10-24-2006, 06:07 PM

in the change or not thread on the other forum, to be fair, I did post that I would prefer the board stay the same and be original.

Me too! (which the Board won't even allow me to post because the message is "too short" - just beat the system with this commentary).

starchoice
10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Posts are sure down since the new board was brought online. Are people abandoning the site

I have to admit that I was a little ticked when I saw the old forum down. It was mainly because nobody bothered to post that this would definitely be done and when! Then I go to log in and it doesn't recognize me. I had fleeting thoughts of bailing at that time.

XBR_II
10-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Yeah, so much for my "they'll be back on Monday" line! Where'd everybody go?:confused:

Edit: XBR_II excepted, of course! :)

Hey, just pulling my (ample) weight around here. :eek:

Plus someone has to keep you honest. :p

Cheers,
Paul

Jaspear
10-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Plus someone has to keep you honest. :p

Yet another signature change, just for you.

XBR_II
10-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Yet another signature change, just for you.

Funny, I've been toying with the idea of adding a signature line myself, just for you. This one is from President Bush's first state of the union speach and no doubt reflects his own views on the matter (my emphasis added):

"We need an energy policy that encourages consumption."

What do you think?

Cheers,
Paul

Grunge
10-24-2006, 06:50 PM

Just not the same. This just looks like every other board now. The other forum was original and was really easy to use and know what you have and have not read visually.

This is just another forum now. Sorry to those who have worked so hard to update, but in the change or not thread on the other forum, to be fair, I did post that I would prefer the board stay the same and be original.

I didn't think it would be much one way or another but I have to admit I really do miss the originality and user- friendliness of the old format.

konde
10-24-2006, 07:12 PM
And yet you continue to post and gripe. Perhaps it's time to move on and live with it. :)

Nova Man
10-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I ain't myself.:confused:

Icom
10-25-2006, 11:48 PM
The new look is great!
I've always preferred the format at Digital Home Canada, and it's great to see a similar style here.

Keep up the good work..

NovaMan
10-28-2006, 07:01 PM
I ain't myself.:confused:

I'm back under my old name. It took a couple of days but it finally is working for me.