PDA

View Full Version : AMC comes to Shaw

Bruce
08-29-2006, 02:42 PM
September 1, 2006
http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/issues/ISArticle.asp?id=59548&issue=08292006

MikefromCanmore
08-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Waky waky SC - Thanks for the $3/month increase Sept 1 and NO NEW CHANNELS.

You should be lowering the price $3
According to MacLeans latest issue:
Expressvu 500 video channels
SC - 330 video

And we all know that SC upper management has given up on fixing the DSR530

The only SC happy camper in Canada is QIJO

bigoranget
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm optimistic that this channel will show on StarChoice as well.

Ranger_Gord
08-29-2006, 04:03 PM
I think that SC changed to only announcing new channels after launch due to Arthur.
http://www.saturn-soft.net/Teens/Kepek/cool_carrot_lg_clr.gif

MCIBUS
08-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Why you say this?

SC has added new channels

The Fight Network
TMC(although I find it odd Shaw Cable added AMC? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )
Red Light Districk and few more.

BSmithern
08-29-2006, 04:51 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? *C has been adding new channels. How long have we had TCM and not even a hint that BEV will add it anytime soon. That's just one example. Fight Network was added as well.

500 - 330? Yes, if you most likely count the ethnic channels (which I realize many care about) but I do not. As well, that most likely includes the pages and pages of PPV that BEV tries to sell, which I would not be interested in either.

Not to mention the 6 or 7 new HD channels coming before October 1 and 10 or more before March after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do we know this? The VP I spoke with said they will not be happy until it is running smoothly. He told me he felt the CC code was the best yet, but they would continue to work with it to try and make it as enjoyable to the user as possible. He said a new IPG coming before the end of the year that looks much, much better and then next year, another update that will provide even better performance and new features.

Since I have moved my 530 away from any other heat, it has performed very well. I complained the most out of anyone over this unit. Now, as the VP said, CC IS the best code they have released. I can actually USE the unit.

bigoranget
08-29-2006, 05:04 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Sex-TV, Drive-In Classics, Red Light, The Christian Channel are others too. Plus westerners now have Encore Avenue in the Essentials. I was changing my programming this morning and I can confirm that StarChoice intends to add 6 HD channels this fall plus regular SD channels. I'm hoping AMC will be one of them.

Sow_Man
08-29-2006, 05:17 PM
I dropped AMC from my C Band subscription years ago. Actually just after AMC added commercials. TCM and Fox movie channel have the rights to most of the movies that were once shown on AMC - plus the manner in which AMC breaks for commercials is really annoying.

TCM now is what AMC was 20 years ago.

cellarboy
08-29-2006, 06:56 PM
How do we know this? The VP I spoke with said they will not be happy until it is running smoothly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I doubt they've given up on the receiver, but they have shown extremely bad judgement by letting the 5x0 series project manager go. His were the plans that instituted all of the projects/upgrades you mentioned (and a lot of them in direct response to our concerns). Shaws programmers are kinda left trying to impliment stuff without the person who designed them to speak to. And, of course, it appears the programmers at Motorola don't give a rats ass about the quality of their code (yay for Sigma Six!!), which is always good given their work is the foundation for everything else.

BSmithern
08-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Well I doubt they've given up on the receiver, but they have shown extremely bad judgement by letting the 5x0 series project manager go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I believe I know the person you are speaking of (at least from message boards) and with his attitude, it doesn't surprise me. Seems he kind of thinks he's better than just about everyone else. I got tired of his attitude very quick. Can't imagine working with the guy.

megryan
08-29-2006, 10:15 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I dumped Bell for Starchoice 3 years ago and have never looked back.

I prefer Starchoice to Bell any day.

I'm a happy Starchoice customer, so make that 2.

gazzer
08-29-2006, 10:36 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

incorrect

if there were no SC and the options for entertainment were EVU or making shadow puppets with a flashlight, this household would be buying a lot of batteries. Had EVU...dumped it - and it will never make a return to this household.

Since you're so intent on slamming SC with statements like that, Mike, might as well get your numbers right. So, with me, you can make that 3 - you can also add in two close friends who got tired of TV being a problem instead of entertainment... so that's 4 &amp; 5.

Might as well add in my brother, who has gotten tired of having to repeatedly call to get his receiver reactivated. I'll be goin' out there to help him get his new SC system set up this weekend. Make that 6.

Oh, wait - I've forgotten my parents... make that 7 - my dad's actually worn out the '3' on the remote control tuning to LoneStar - they LOVE SC.

Hey...wait... do wives, and kids count? We may have to revise those numbers.

Gaz

BSmithern
08-29-2006, 10:58 PM
My household had BEV and switched quite happily a few years ago. I would prefer making shadow puppets over BEV as well. I'll keep my *C thank you very much.

My parents are on *C and my sister and her husband are on *C as well.

I actually know quite a few people on *C. I would say almost 80% of them are with *C because the alternative is BEV when it comes to satellite and they are not willing to pay BEV another cent.

SatMike
08-30-2006, 01:22 AM

You should be lowering the price $3
According to MacLeans latest issue:
Expressvu 500 video channels
SC - 330 video

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick em where it hurts Mike. Screw SC and switch to bev. I'm sure you'll like watching all those extra ethnic channels not available on SC./forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm sure you'll be happy. /forums/images/graemlins/joker.gif

Oh...by the way, I'm another happy SC customer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GLR
08-30-2006, 01:30 AM
B Smithern :

Bell may be swear word in your house , but I have been with *C for 7 years ( since July 199 ) and have given up hope of *C ever adding Center Ice and Much More Retro. So, come Oct. 1st , there is not a snowballs chance of me keeping *C. Their continued lies have clinched it for me ..... ever hear or see in print.... at *C we give you the ultimate tv experience ???? What does that mean ???? That if I can't watch Retro or CI - I am having the ultimate experience ---- NOT !!!!!!!!
Some Bell higher ups told me this past spring that they will be adding all the NHL radio stations this fall. ( yes they have Montreal's CJAD !!! ) That alone will make me switch. Hearing the " YA BABY " on the Flames games is good enough for me to switch to the dreaded Bell .

I wrote Jim Shaw a 7 page letter in 2003 and he said at that time CI and MMRetro were not a consideration- its 3 years later and I'm sure JIM hasn't thought of adding CI or Retro once.

My only problem is getting at least 2 more Bell receivers.

MCIBUS
08-30-2006, 02:08 AM
You know your going to get ?Blasted" for being a SC 'BASHER'

God only knows I've been accussed of that, even though its not true.

SatMike
08-30-2006, 02:14 AM
You know your going to get ?Blasted" for being a SC 'BASHER'

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know.

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BSmithern
08-30-2006, 04:31 AM
If you need Retro and CI then go for it.

I just cannot sub to BEV. I can't do it. Not again anyway.

starchoice
08-30-2006, 05:40 AM
Okay, we all agree that SC is great. Does anyone know if they are adding AMC? Anyone had an opportunity to inquire with a CSR? I found out about Encore Avenue from a CSR and then posted here. It was up and running without anybody knowing.

starchoice
08-30-2006, 05:44 AM
I wrote Jim Shaw a 7 page letter in 2003 and he said at that time CI and MMRetro were not a consideration- its 3 years later and I'm sure JIM hasn't thought of adding CI or Retro once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, SC is full of surprises. Nobody thought they would add Drive-In and Sex and they finally appeared. They surprised everyone with TCM. I'm still waiting for bpm but now it's a trade-off. BEV is missing way too much, e.g. TCM, MSNBC, etc. Also, their customer service stinks to high heaven, limited hours, inability to add and delete channels at will, etc. It's all been discussed before but SC is the winner, hands down.

I_Want_My_HDTV
08-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Okay, we all agree that SC is great.

[/ QUOTE ]
ROTFLMAO /forums/images/graemlins/joker.gif They all stink. It all depends on what you can put up with. I feel the same way about *C that some people feel about EV. Now if we had a real choice in Canada ... /forums/images/graemlins/juggle.gif

MeSat
08-30-2006, 04:21 PM
But how many of those channels can you actually get? How many of the locals are not accessible to you? How many are simsubbed so you get the same program on all the channels?

Last night was the first night that we watched the Free Encore Avenue since it was offered. Mars Attacks. Yeah SC. That alone covers the increased rates.

daves
08-30-2006, 06:55 PM
as a southern sub, *c is great, they never question when you call from usa--yes bev does have some channels that I would watch but *c has channels bev does not likle tcm, msnbc, and the radio stations that we listen to quite a bit.

daves
08-30-2006, 08:14 PM
the reason *c does not tell you in advance about new channels is in case there is a last minute glitch and the channel does not come on a spromised this has happened in the past and pissed people off.

SatMike
08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
the reason *c does not tell you in advance about new channels is in case there is a last minute glitch and the channel does not come on a spromised this has happened in the past and pissed people off.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I recall, most of the pissed off ones were some bev subs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gazzer
08-30-2006, 10:55 PM
If I recall, most of the pissed off ones were some bev subs.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, not necessarily 'pissed off', but they are typically the ones making the most noise /forums/images/graemlins/joker.gif

we are, after all, talking SC here - "damned if they do, and damned if they don't". I'd be willing to bet that if "the Fireplace Channel" had appeared on BEV instead of SC this last Christmas, we'd have been seeing posts about how SC had missed the boat on giving a seasonal, whimsical treat to their subscribers.

snoman
08-31-2006, 01:00 PM
but I have been with *C for 7 years ( since July 199 ) and have given up hope of *C ever adding Center Ice and Much More Retro. So, come Oct. 1st , there is not a snowballs chance of me keeping *C.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally !!!

That's what I did. I wanted CI as well so instead of complaining all the time I DID something about it and switched. Better hurry before the early bird price disappears.

Darkman
08-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Ya... comes to Shaw, Sept 1 (tomorrow)

In Winnipeg anyhow, AMC will be at Shaw's ch. 40

(replacing Golf Channel.. - Golf channel is moving to the 100s channel range.. and will require a digital box from now on to be watched... - The good news, at least, is - if one has a digital box already, there will NOT be an extra charge to watch Golf Channel) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

b_p_smith
09-01-2006, 07:38 PM
We've been on vacation this week, got back today. My eldest came up a while ago to ask about this new "AMC" channel playing a movie on our SC receiver on channel 609. He notices stuff like that. :-)

I assume AMC is some sort of movie channel? Haven't actually looked at it yet. It's going to take me all weekend to catch up on a week's worth of e-mail and forum posting.

Brad.

BSmithern
09-01-2006, 07:42 PM
AMC is showing up for me now on *C. Channel 629 here in the West. 609 for Eastern subs.

bigoranget
09-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Don't see it on my guide at all. Same with History West.

BSmithern
09-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Well, they are both in my guide. I watched both for a couple of minutes. It said "No data", but they were there. When I tuned to the channels, what was on came up in the bottom information bar.

dcgapg
09-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Jurassic Park is on AMC right now Channel 629 in the East on SC.