233 CKY - CTV Winnipeg
234 CFTO - CTV Toronto
235 CJCH - ATV Halifax
236 CJON - NTV Newfoundland
237 CITV - Global Edmonton
238 CIII - Global Toronto
239 CBOT - CBC Ottawa
240 CITY TV Toronto - CITY

The thing thats kinda silly is the fact that it's the same everywhere. In almost every case there is a duplication of at least one local channel in each home market.

They have also added Red Light District to channel 203 and CTVHD Toronto and Discovery HD to channels 311 and 312 respectively (See HD forum).

MCIBUS
08-24-2006, 02:48 AM
Say what?

Shaw never had Timeshifting before this? Are you serious?

I heard Shaw Cable was bad(from members here)but I never realized how bad it really was.

Though I have BEV, SC & Rogers, I have to admit, though I don't like Rogers, I have to admit that if I didn't have BEV & SC I have to count my blesing for what Rogers offers.

Now I truely feel for you westerners stuck with Shaw Cable. I think I would die if was stuck with Shaw Cable.

BSmithern
08-24-2006, 05:23 AM
It's always been that way Tom. Go look at the lineup online for Shaw. It's brutal compared to anything else. That's why I subbed to BEV and now *C. Not a chance I would sub to Shaw being out west here. There lineup is FINALLY getting better, but compared to Rogers...it's like night and day for channel selection. Why do you think many members have said they wish Rogers would come out west.

bigoranget
08-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Plus to add to this the timeshifting that they added is very slim pickings compared to other cable systems too. My little independent cable in Hamilton has way more then Shaw has and Source Cable is nitorious for being way behind other area cable systems.

MCIBUS
08-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Like I sai I truely feel sorry for those that have SHAW CABLE.

One bright side to this at least now with competion you have BEV or SC to fall back on. Now BEV or SC may not be perfect and they to have some faults, but at least its nowhere near as bad as Shaw Cable or at least from what I'm gathering from you and others out west reporting on had bad Shaw cable is.

BSmithern
08-24-2006, 04:07 PM
But Tom, therein lies the problem. There are many people stuck in condos/apartments/whatever where they cannot have a dish and do not have anything to fall back on.

These good folks get screwed because the only thing they can sub to is Shaw. At least the folks like this in the east have Rogers and a much better lineup.

MCIBUS
08-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Yes and those are the ones I truely feel sorry for, but who know, maybe one day they may move and then have acce to SC or BEV, or prthaps, just maybe Rogers may buy out SHaw.

I'm not sure but doesn't Telus offer TV via phone lines? I'm noit sure if they do or not or what is offered?

bigoranget
08-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Telus TV is only available on small pockets of Edmonton and Calgary.

MCIBUS
08-24-2006, 05:44 PM
hows the line up?

Somehow I get the impression/feeling is not good and if either yhad to take Telus TV or Shaw Cable, Shaw Cable would be better, despite the horrible service.

BSmithern
08-24-2006, 05:50 PM
The lineup is OK, but nothing fantastic:

http://www.mytelus.com/tv/programming/channelList.do

Plus...no HD. For me, that is a MUST.

MCIBUS
08-25-2006, 02:25 AM
Ok I guess. I was surprised by their ethnic channels on what they carry?

Still I rather have BEV or SC then those two services.

bigoranget
08-25-2006, 11:30 AM
The other short coming with a company like Telus TV is you can only have up to 3 connectins at once, this would be no good for us as we have 4 televisions and high speed internet.

MCIBUS
08-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Only 3 connections!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That defiantly wouldn't work for me in this house hold.

pauldryan
08-26-2006, 07:36 PM
MTS Television here in Winnipeg and they offer a package of 7 or 8 HD channels. We don't need your sympathy Tom. Here we can watch OTA, Look, Shaw, MTS, SC, or BEV.

We don't need much in the way of ethnic television programming out here since our immigrants embraced Canadian culture long ago.

Paul

BSmithern
08-26-2006, 11:37 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
our immigrants embraced Canadian culture long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Someone is going to give you a hard time for that one me thinks.

pauldryan
08-27-2006, 12:46 AM
Always trolling with controversy as bait! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Reminding others that Winnipeg may be more of a melting pot as opposed to the ethnic crockpot found in Toronto. Aside from the traditional mix of English, Irish, Scottish, and French, our major source of immigration has been distinctly European from countries such as the Ukraine, Germany, Poland, Russian, etc.

Except for an extraordinary group of Filipinos, most near equatorial nationalities seem to have shown a distinct aversion to such a cold, forbidding climate.

Paul

dishguy
08-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Don't forget the Mecican's that moved to Brandon a few years back for the pork processing plant there.

I would think that you will see another influx when they sort out where the pork plant will be located in Winnipeg.

Winnipeg does have one ethnic channel, APTN but I would bet that the natives won't watch that crap.

pauldryan
08-30-2006, 06:44 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Winnipeg does have one ethnic channel, APTN but I would bet that the natives won't watch that crap]

[/ QUOTE ]

APTN: Aboriginal Peoples Television Network belongs and is staffed by First Nations employees; I don't think that they carry a lot of latino soaps, which are supposed to be quite good if you're into soaps.

Paul

dishguy
08-30-2006, 07:30 PM
From Wiki </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
An ethnic group is a human population whose members identify with each other, usually on the basis of a presumed common genealogy or ancestry (Smith 1986). Ethnic groups are also usually united by common cultural, behavioural, linguistic, or religious practices. In this sense, an ethnic group is also a cultural community.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasn't aware that that only applied to Latino peoples who like never ending dramas. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

APTN = Etnic Chanel for Winnipeg's huge Native population. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

pauldryan
08-30-2006, 08:10 PM
So I guess that makes me a member of an ethnic minority (straight Canadian men that drink beer from its container) that should qualify for federal aid, provincial recognition, and a civic holiday (or at least a parade).

The majority population, Canadian women, homosexuals, and generally wimpy males who drink wine from bottles, not boxes would probably enjoy a decent Latin soap opera.

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/joker.gif

dishguy
08-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Want to join my support group?

We meet at:

The Gentlemen's Club
216 Notre Dame, Winnipeg

The first Wednesday of every month.
Bring fives, they don't like it when they get hit by loonies and toonies.

See you there.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MCIBUS
08-31-2006, 02:38 AM
And when have aborginals been consider ethnic?

If ther are any ethnics in Canafa its non Aborginals,Yeah that includes all you English(British,Irish,Scorish) &amp; French(France,Belguim,etc)

The aborginals where here before the "Europeans"

snoman
08-31-2006, 01:11 PM
What about the austalopithicenes and neanderthals? Weren't they here before the indians? Should't they have native status too? /forums/images/graemlins/joker.gif

dishguy
08-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Read my earlier post with a definition of ethnic Tom.
It has nothing to do with when you arrived.
It's all about being a group of like cultured peoples.
I am part Native myself but frankly it really shouldn't matter who came first.
The white people who came after were kind enough not to wipe my race from the face of North America with their superior technology or push us completely into servitude as was the popular thing to attempt back in that day.
Heck my ancestors used to kill and enslave their neighbors all the time.
It might have had something to do with the fact that they were really bad at living in the "New World" though and without my great great great grand pappy they would have perished the first winter. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ethnic pride is fine but it's individuals who actually get things done. Be proud, but get a job, raise your kids well, treat others with respect, and contribute to society yourself as well. Otherwise it's just useless past glory and excuses.

pauldryan
08-31-2006, 02:32 PM
I find if the lights are dim enough, you can get a lot of table dances with Canadian Tire money ......... one word of advice though ........ don't hang around for an encore! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

sablefish
09-01-2006, 02:45 AM
I got a digital message on my cable box today. Shaw wants $3.95 per month for the time shifting channels, what a joke! Everyone with digital cable already has the US nets timeshifted on channels 131-135 so one would be crazy to spend more money for more simsubs.