PDA

View Full Version : I have Sirius!

cybrgrd
07-04-2006, 03:34 PM
After a year of debating back and forth I bought a Sirius Starmate yesterday. I decided that with the extra time I will now be spending in my car I could justify the cost a little easier.

Although I bought the unit yesterday, I have not yet activated it; does anyone here have this particular unit as well? and if so do you have any comments on it?

konde
07-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I have been using the Starmate for a few weeks now and I would rate it as just "OK".

My biggest complaint is the red led display which is very hard to read in daylight when wearing sunglasses. The windshield mount could also stand some improvements. The joint seems too loose and the radio ends up pointing toward the floor. You must also take care when adjusting the position of the radio that it does not detach from the mount because the unit is so easily separated from the slide-on mount. I am tempted to glue it on permanently.

North0f60
07-04-2006, 04:20 PM
I turfed my suction cup mounts and bought some vent mounts.
http://www.arkon.com/xm_mount.php

CND_NASCAR_FAN
07-04-2006, 09:04 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The joint seems too loose and the radio ends up pointing toward the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

#2 Phillips Screwdriver, and a 1/4 turn clockwise fixes that problem.

SatMike
07-04-2006, 09:18 PM
I used a Starmate for about 9 months and have now been using the Starmate Replay for the last 6 months.

The Replay is a much better receiver. Has Artist Search and the blue display is much easier to read in sunlight. There is only about $50 difference between the two.

batfink
07-04-2006, 10:31 PM
I've used a Starmate for two months and I like it...the suction cups failed in three weeks but I took the mount apart and screwed the end onto the dashboard with a woodscrew and it sits right above the cigarette lighter and all the excess cable is wound up into the ashtray. Don't know what you will do if you smoke, though.

It's a cheap receiver - you get what you pay for, but it's good enough for me now. Maybe I'll buy a nicer one down the road and put the Starmate in my tractor instead.

The antenna is right on top of the truck roof so reception is no problem.

pauldryan
07-05-2006, 12:29 AM
I guess if you ever want to sell the truck, you could glue a statue of St Christopher over the screw hole. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Us city slickers would frig around forever rather than drilling a hole in our dash. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

dishguy
07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Farmers don't resell trucks, they bury them after they die Paul. /forums/images/graemlins/joker.gif
That screw hole is nothing compared to my neighbor who had the sharpened end of a 4" fence post come through the window on a quick stop and mount it itself to the dash were the stereo used to be. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
It had that hole till the day it stopped running which was after the kids were done learning to drive with it in the back field at age 13 and 14.

GOD
07-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I have 2 trucks and one Sirius radio so all I did was grab some velcro and stuck a strip on each of the truck dashes and a piece on the radio bottom and now I just take it back and forth . It has been great for almost 2 years now . Velcro and 2 way tape solves almost all problems and if that don't work...duct tape ! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SatMike
07-11-2006, 04:28 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Velcro and 2 way tape solves almost all problems...

[/ QUOTE ]

Velcro also works great holding the antenna on top of the dash as well.