PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on HW cost, Activation fees and Programs

Marc
12-14-2005, 03:44 AM
Hey gang. Well, after waiting more than 6 mths for a Cdn version of Sat Radio to release, I must admit, I'm disappointed - here's why....

1) Hardware cost: Canadians are getting shafted!

Almost every model 2x-3x the cost of US retail. Who's making all the money?

They must all think we are stupid people living in igloos with no access to the internet.

Here are 2 comparisons:
Roady XT
$54.34 at Walmart.com -$30US MIR = $24.34US
$119.99 at FutureShop "ON SALE" -$30 MIR = $89.99! 3x the price

Delphi MyFi
$149.99 at www.xmfan.com (http://www.xmfan.com) - $50 MIR = $99.99US
$399.99 at www.futureshop.com (http://www.futureshop.com) - no MIR = 3.5x the price!!!

Sirius price differences are similar.

* -now it should be noted that both providers have stated they will activate US bought receivers. Why should we support Cdn retailers with this kind of difference in prices?

2) Same price in Cdn$$$ as the US - but for way fewer channels AND to add to the insult, the US subs also get the CDN channels!

Now this is really a CRTC issue, but as a Cdn, why should we be forced to support an inferior offering based on political, not technical limitations.

I'm glad to see that we did force some Cancon, but the joke's on us. Perhaps the CRTC should have created a different policy like "min 10 Cdn channels with no less than 5% Cdn content for the channel count should more bandwidth be made available". At least this way, we'd have parity with the US subs.

3) No mention from either provider of internet streaming being offered like the US subs for no extra charge. Do we get it or not? I bet they charge an extra $1-$2 a month.

4) Activation fees on XM - what utter arrogance! I could understand a fee if the h/w was free, but this is just an insult.

To charge $15 for web activation which costs them about a quarter to process is more unnerving. Again - we must be stupid since they are telling us "save by using web activation". Wow- sign me up... duh!

PS - US service has "free" activation promotion.

5) No prepaid discount options on XM. Sign-up for the US service and these options exist. Why not commit users to years up-front by offering us a better price?

6) Hat's off to Sirius - free activation, pre-paid discounts... -even lifetime sub.

7) Interestingly, while Sirius appears more expensive ($2 more a month), they offer 20 more channels AND if you use the pre-paid options, they can be at parity with XM Canada.

So why not just shut up and sign with Sirius? Well, in a word, their receivers offered here are poor compared to XM's.

-The Sirius One is well priced - still 2x the price of the US version, but at $79 - Ok. But it only has a single line display and there are no docking options for home/car use. You'd have to unplug 3 wires everytime you want to swap - big time wear/tear on these + you'd have to buy extra wires - if you can even buy them.

Starmate is poor - not a nice display - and 2x the price of US receivers.

No reasonable cost portable model yet in Canada like the MyFi.

So what should XM/Sirius Canada do?

1) Offer parity pricing for receivers and promos - stop treating Cdns like a bunch of morons - if anything, I'd bet most of us are more thrifty than our richer American cousins so if you want us to buy in Canada and sign-up for Cdn programming - make the offer the same here!

2) Advertise and deliver internet streaming for the programming like in the US.

3) XM - DON'T CHARGE AN ACTIVATION FEE!!

4) XM - OFFER PRE-PAID DISCOUNTS!!!

5) FIGHT THE CDN GOV REGULATIONS SO THAT WE CAN ACCESS ALL OF YOUR CHANNELS - the only way to fight the grey market is to offer us the same at similar pricing.

Unless the above changes I will do one of the following:

-refuse to sign-up
-buy in the US and sign up for a US sub.

Ooohh I feel so much better now. Am I way off base, or do others feel the same?
/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I_Want_My_HDTV
12-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Blame Futile Shop for the high prices. They are the people that rip off Canadians with their full retail pricing policy, deceptive ads and outright lies about "sales".

ClassicSat
12-14-2005, 05:25 PM
1: I think it is something to do with tax rules or something as to why thet cannot overly rebate a receiver for its sale price like the US can. The DTH providers do the same.

2: It's a Cancon thing, discussions elsewhere (I suppose).
2b/3: I think they (one of them) are talking of making the streams available to Canadain subs.

Jaspear
12-14-2005, 06:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Now this is really a CRTC issue, but as a Cdn, why should we be forced to support an inferior offering based on political, not technical limitations.

I'm glad to see that we did force some Cancon, but the joke's on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

You contradicted yourself. First, you bemoan inferior programming based on politics, and then turn right around and defend political consideration.

You can't have it both ways. If you want Cancon restrictions, you get inferior programming.

Government force *nerver* results in a solution acceptable to everyone. Only the free market can do that.

CND_NASCAR_FAN
12-14-2005, 06:41 PM
1) New in the market place, prices will drop. What was the initial pricing in the US?

3) Sirius will be offering it free (as told by CSR) starting in Jan.

-The Sirius One is well priced - still 2x the price of the US version, but at $79 - Ok. But it only has a single line display and there are no docking options for home/car use. You'd have to unplug 3 wires everytime you want to swap - big time wear/tear on these + you'd have to buy extra wires - if you can even buy them.

Starmate is poor - not a nice display - and 2x the price of US receivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno 'bout you but I only have 2 wires goint to my unit (Starmate), I don't have the home kit yet, but it is available.

What's wrong with the Starmate? I love mine. The only thing that I don't like is the display lag when cold, but that is how an LCD works, can't change physics. It only takes a couple of minutes to warm up anyway. If Santa brings me a home kit, I won't have to worry about that too much anyway, as it would be coming in the house with me at night.

Skyway
12-14-2005, 09:24 PM
I have a Audiovox and a Starmate..

The Audiovox has quite a few extra features...I like it..I've had it for over a year with no troubles..

The Starmate is smaller with fewer features..I've had it for about 6 months and it has needed replacment twice already...Same problem each time the receiver would power up to a Sirius logo and stay that way..no response from any buttons etc...

So I don't think to much of the less expensive Starmate!

North0f60
12-15-2005, 03:29 AM
If you want cheaper h/w you may want to look on ebay. A bud of mine bought 9 (yes 9) Sirius units off ebay for $80 plus shipping which was about $30. They were all store demos, in boxes and had everything you get when you buy a new one. Two units had some wear but they all worked. They were sold to friends and family. One of the units that had wear still had a sub on them and it's still going 7 months later.

starchoice
12-16-2005, 04:58 AM
Delphi MyFi
$149.99 at www.xmfan.com (http://www.xmfan.com) - $50 MIR = $99.99US
$399.99 at www.futureshop.com (http://www.futureshop.com) - no MIR = 3.5x the price!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The Delphi MyFi is currently on sale at London Drugs for $379 + they are throwing in a $100 London Drugs gift card.

The Source (Radio Shack) is currently offering headphones valued at $80 with any satellite radio purchase.

Andrew8468
12-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Just bought my Sirius equipment. I got the Sportster Replay, the car kit and a boombox for $230 Canadian. Here in Canada, just the Sportster receiver is $200, so for the $30 I would have had to pay in taxes I got the car kit and boombox.
Thank you Ebay.

Andrew8468
12-19-2005, 02:00 AM
Walmart has the Sirius One for $69.97 and the Starmate for $97.97