PDA

View Full Version : XM Canada Info

Jaspear
11-08-2005, 08:12 PM
From a post over on xmfan.com:

XM Canada details revealed (http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=51170)

- The launch date is December 1, 2005.

- There will be NO attempt to bring over the grey market subscribers to the Canadian system. XM USA will not accept Canadian credit card number. XM's US toll free number, if called from Canada, will redirect to an XM Canada call center. XM's US web site will re-route canadian IP addresses to the canadian site for activation.

- 12.99/month for the first receiver and 9.99/month for additional receivers.

- There will be 80 channels at launch, 8 Canadian content and 72 from XM Radio. Of the 8 Canadian 4 will be french language and 4 will be english language.

- No US channels will be edited for content, including Opie and Anthony, which will be available on XM Canada.

- Hardware should be available to Canadian retailers by the 15th of November.

ClassicSat
11-09-2005, 01:27 PM
I guess O&A vs no Stern (which I wouldn't care for anyway) tips my favour strong to XM, except for the fact I'd have to buy a recevier (which I would anyway)

Edit: I reserve the last statement, as I kind of misread it, and could be wrong about them accepting subs on US equipment.

Todd_Sandrock
11-09-2005, 02:16 PM
One would wonder if they will turn out the lights on existing subscribers who've used a Canadian credit card to prepurchase subs in advance.

Grunge
11-09-2005, 03:02 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
12.99/month for the first receiver and 9.99/month for additional receivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

X-tra charge for x-tra receivers!! That really sucks.

SatMike
11-09-2005, 09:00 PM
X-tra charge for x-tra receivers!! That really sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess without a phone line connection it's pretty hard to confirm that all tuners are in the same car. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

$9.99/mo is a bit high though. They know there will be abuses. This is Canada ya know. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jaspear
11-10-2005, 12:08 AM
It's $6.95 for additional receivers in the US. XM accepts the fact that a portion of them will end up with friends and relatives.

Jaspear
11-10-2005, 12:18 AM
One would wonder if they will turn out the lights on existing subscribers who've used a Canadian credit card to prepurchase subs in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP over on XMFan indicates that not converting existing Canadian subscribers is part of the agreement XM Canada has with XM. If true, I would guess not.

ClassicSat
11-10-2005, 01:55 PM
No, they are just going to not accept Canadian CCs on new US accts.

tvwatcher
11-10-2005, 02:42 PM
I have a Paypal debit card with the mastercard logo - it's U.S. based, so I'm hoping to slip by with that, when my $29.99 U.S. roady2 gets here tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SofaSpud
11-11-2005, 10:05 PM
The terrestrial repeaters here in Ottawa had been enabled for a couple of days over the past few months, but it looks like they are now fired up for the official December 1st launch! I get 0% BER (bit error rate) in the house (this is in Barrhaven, which has a direct line of sight to the tower at camp fortune) with the built-in antenna on my MyFi. I used to get nothing at all in the house without the outdoor antenna.

It looks like I can get rid of the outdoor antenna. I haven't check to see if all the channels are being transmitted from the repeaters, but the ones I listen to most (Boneyard 41, Mix 22) are on the repeaters.

/forums/images/graemlins/tup.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tup.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tup.gif

SatMike
11-11-2005, 10:53 PM
...which has a direct line of sight to the tower at camp fortune...

[/ QUOTE ]

Man they have a lot of stuff hanging and blasting off that tower. I'm surprised there's anything living in a 5 mile radius around it. Does snow actually stay on the ground in that section of the park? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SofaSpud
11-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Man they have a lot of stuff hanging and blasting off that tower. I'm surprised there's anything living in a 5 mile radius around it. Does snow actually stay on the ground in that section of the park?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. And there's more coming. CBC and SRC's upcoming HDTV transmitters are also going to be on that tower. CBC will be blasting something like (IIRC) 300,000 watts, which is huge for a digital station. It will probably reach all the way to Kingston.