PDA

View Full Version : WNLO in Ottawa?

CFTO21
05-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Today I was looking in the TV listings produced for the Toronto Sun, and I noticed something odd in the channel lineup listings. For 23/WNLO, they had Ottawa listed as receiving this channel on cable 23. No other location was listed as receiving this channel on cable.

Rogers doesn't have WNLO listed on their website for Ottawa, but I am wondering if they are adding this channel very soon in that city? Right now cable 23 is listed as a community French channel. I know they have been talking about adding it on digital in the GTA. What would make this even more odd is that Rogers has an obsession with cramming the Detroit stations into every far-away location like Ottawa, yet if they are in fact adding a UPN affiliate, why would they pick WNLO and not WKBD from Detroit? Or, why not put in the rest of the Buffalo stations like they were supposed to originally?

GaryE
05-29-2005, 08:04 PM
You sure its not Oshawa?

The Toronto Sun is not sold in Ottawa so I'd find it odd they would put listings for Rogers Ottawa.

bigoranget
05-29-2005, 08:37 PM
I can confirm that WNLO is NOT available in Ottawa, neither is WNYO. WNYO is only available where it is possible to receive it over the air. WNLO (if approved) will have the same restrictions. In other words Ottawa will be out of luck for a UPN and WB station on basic cable.

GaryE
05-29-2005, 08:52 PM
The CRTC did give Rogers Ottawa permission to add WNYO to the digital tier but if I read the decision (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2003/db2003-38.htm) right Rogers Ottawa can only take the off-air signal of WNYO which means this was a useless appication by Rogers.

CFTO21
05-29-2005, 09:34 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You sure its not Oshawa?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a TV guide published by Sun Media, not specific to any particular city. Ottawa does have its own version of the Sun. A number of Ontario cities were listed in the channel grid. WNYO was indeed listed here, but with the "Antenna only" note. WNLO didn't have that note, but in the past both WNLO (WNEQ) and WNYO had that note in both the Sun listings and Starweek.

CFTO21
05-29-2005, 09:39 PM
In other words Ottawa will be out of luck for a UPN and WB station on basic cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does WFFF's signal reach Ottawa over-the-air? Of course that is a secondary WB affiliate, but that still counts.

MCIBUS
05-29-2005, 10:14 PM
The last time I checked Ottawa could only get

PBS Watertown fair receiption
PBS Plasburgh fair to poor Orleans area only
WWYN 7 Watertown poor receiption South end of town and need tower.

either then that not sure.,

But considering Ottawa is now the largest city in canada as city bonderies go exactly where do they say is the point where if a channel thets approved or not?

Because Rogers couls put towers with antennas at the fringe boundaries to receive a signal?

kirjtc2
05-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a typo.

Of course, all Rogers areas get WSBK and WPIX, but only with a TMN subscription.

JPK

lprice99
05-30-2005, 12:10 AM
Rogers has applied to the CRTC to carry WNLO in Ajax, Bolton, Pickering, Oshawa, Richmond Hill, Newmarket and Toronto.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Notices/2005/pb2005-5.htm

gmd
08-04-2005, 05:21 PM
PBS Watertown fair receiption
PBS Plasburgh fair to poor Orleans area only
WWYN 7 Watertown poor receiption South end of town and need tower.

[/ QUOTE ]

From personal experience (being East of Blair):
WPBS 18 PBS Watertown (Norwood) good-to-excellent reception
WCFE 57 PBS Plattsburgh excellent-to-picture perfect
WWYN 7 Watertown poor-to-good
WPBS 16 PBS Watertown poor-to-good
WWTI 50 Watertown poor
WWNY 22 Burlington very poor
WXXI 21 Rochester very very poor
W20BA 20 Massena very very poor
(and the list goes on)

-gmd

CFTO21
08-27-2005, 04:15 PM
I can confirm that the listings specifically were for Ottawa, as I checked out a more recent edition of the Sun TV listings. Oshawa was indicated elsewhere. They still had WNLO indicated on cable 23. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleye.gif

MCIBUS
08-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Cable 23 is th French Community Channel. 223 is the english one.

The Yahoo's at the Sun never fix mistakes, besides the Sun TV Guide sucks doesn't really give you info about the shows. The TV Times is allot better.

digitalcable
08-27-2005, 10:20 PM
All the Tv Listings magazines are going the way of the dinosaur. They will soon be extinct.