PDA

View Full Version : Counting to Ten

Todd_Sandrock
01-20-2005, 12:58 AM
I'll leave this enigmatic message to suggest that all has not turned out as expected in Rogers Satellite-Winback land. I'll post later as I--and they--discover what exactly the situation is.

Todd

SofaSpud
01-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Things aren't 100% with my ExpressVu -> Rogers conversion.

The PVR has a few things that annoy me:
1) Can't easily watch a program as it is recorded
2) I'm getting lots of pixelation and macro-blocking when playing back hi-def programs
3) I can't filter out unsubscribed channels from the EPG.
4) I can't jump directly to a specific channel within the guide.

Other annoyances:
5) I don't get west U.S. networks unless I pay extra
6) The weather network on channel 21 has audio in the left channel only
7) WPBS (ch 64) looks like crap.
8) Most of the SD channels have what looks like excessive edge enhancement .
9) The channel layout is a disaster.
10) There's a $6.99 fee for multiple outlets, even though those outlets belong to me (I wired them 10 years ago when building this house)
11) TMNOD is cool, but the picture quality on my 61" D-ILA is, uh, disappointing

The grass is always greener. ExpressVu's SD picture quality is sooooo much better than Rogers'.

Dede
01-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Well, that didn't take long! Hope you can get your equipment back!

SofaSpud
01-20-2005, 02:03 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Well, that didn't take long! Hope you can get your equipment back!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Todd_Sandrock
01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
The short story is a half-dozen Rogers folks and the Rogers website itself say that our neighbourhood is HD capable (minimum 750MHz). Only after signing up, taking the 1/2 day off work, finding missing channels, 2 days with tech support and a visit from a lineman do they discover that it is not.

600MHz means one is limited to 4 HD channels (bizarrely, they choose those 4 to be CBS-HD, ABC-HD, TSN-HD (mmmm. Poker), and SN-HD), instead of the 22 their website says our neighbourhood can get.

Also, 600MHz means that the bottom 70 channels are analogue, not digital, which is clearly NOT what all the folks said up to yesterday.

Also, 600MHz means no timeshifting Canadian or American locals.

Also, 600MHz means no TMN-on-demand or R-VOD.

The PVR is cool, but it's ridiculous that Rogers line staff don't even know their own network well enough that they misrepresent capabilities. Oddly enough, we're considered Ottawa-urban, yet towns much further out have been upgraded to 750MHz and we haven't.

So, 3 HD channels worth watching, mostly analogue cable (that ghosting I was seeing on a few channels wasn't my imagination), and higher prices when I do start watching. Hmmm....the only thing that would save this two-day subscriber is a better understanding of upgrade schedule for our neighbourhood, and an explanation of why the website and CSRs misrepresent the capability of the network.

It's a crying shame. I'd be a subscriber in a minute if this stuff worked.

And my IRDs are probably rattling around in the back of some van... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SofaSpud
01-20-2005, 03:41 PM
I hear you. Before deciding to try out this "experiment", I checked Rogers' web site, and it indicated that my neighborhood was NOT upgraded. The people on the phone assured me that my neighborhood was indeed up to 850MHz and the web site was wrong. Indeed, R-VOD, 22 HD channels, etc. all work in my neighborhood, so my experience is kind of the opposite of yours.

On my STB, channels 2-71 are digital, and the analog equivalents are mapped to 802-871. The digital versions of these channels look identical to the analog versions - it looks the Rogers is simply MPEG encoding the crappy analog channels - the ghosting and interlace dot crawl are still present on the digital versions.

My model 6000 is probably rattling around in the same van as yours!

MCIBUS
01-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Thats odd. I'm about 10 -20 mins from you(Manotick Station in behind the Golf Coarse) and we have full HD and everything else? Grant ytou its a newer housing develpment then your location.

Did you ask when there going to up grade your area?

Wyatt_Earp
01-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Thats odd. I'm about 10 -20 mins from you(Manotick station in behoind the Gp;f Coarse) and we have full HD and everything else? Grant ytou its a newer housing develpment then your location.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go Todd. When you get the urge to watch HD load up the family truckster and head over to Tom's house ..... every cloud does have a silver lining /forums/images/graemlins/joker.gif

Seriously though I would be demanding that Rogers return your equipment (or new equipment if if has been damaged) since they can't deliver what they claimed. If they refuse a call to the local tv channel consumer affairs reporter might get you some fast action.

Todd_Sandrock
01-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Heh. I'm not worried about that. I may stay with Rogers if upgrades are imminent...the hardware is that cool.

But if I do go back, the offer is set up as a 30-day trial with no obligation and your old hardware back if you don't choose Rogers.

Hey Tom...we're coming over (it's actually only 7 minutes)...I'll bring the tzatziki. Incidentally, what's the woman who replaced Carol Ring here with Rogers? I think they's be curious to know that getting me back to cable would be akin to converting Osama to Catholicism...yet here I am, willing. There they are, unable. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MCIBUS
01-20-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure of the person. Butr I wonder if I was to go back to Rogers would I still be band from talking on ON LINE WITH ROGERS /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Is still on? I got band after asking to many tough question that they didn't want to answer, because it would make them look bad. Like the issue with my Web TV, they actually cut me off and when I called back they would take my call. Then every time I called I was one of he first calls in, yet they bever called me back for me to ask my question? I even used my cell number got in one call in, then BOOM!! next wek couldn't get in and everytime I used a different numeber I got one call in then the following week Boom again they wouldn't call me back. So what dues this say? Rogers was SCARED OF MY QUESTIONS, because they didn't want to answer my tough questions I was putting forward, and what if I go back what wil they do?

GaryE
01-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Butr I wonder if I was to go back to Rogers would I still be band from talking on ON LINE WITH ROGERS

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe if you used a different name when you phone in and keep your questions short. I remember your questions use to ramble on for ages... the hosts hardly had any time to respond. Is that why you were banned?

MCIBUS
01-20-2005, 09:42 PM
No.

I asked question like:

You stated you had the largest HD line up, when BEV had more(at that time) they didn't like that because they where lieing about having the largest line up.

The issue I had with WEB TV. When they tring to promote the service and the problems I constantly had with it? It was constantly crashing and it took sometimes up to 5 days to get it fixed.

About there timeshiftimng(at the time) why didn't they offer A-hannels, NTV, and a few others?

Why the Western feed of Family Channel(at the time) wasn't offered in the time shifting package? and charged extra for it.

Why the WINK SERVICE wasn't available on the weather Network/Much Music? I got some BS response, but it was available in Toronto!!!

Why they didn't offer the french PPV service, when Ottawa has a large francophone pop?

Why this, why that?

Alot of the question I kept asking, you could tell they didn't want to answer as it would make them look bad.

So thats why I was band.

Arthur
01-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Heh. I'm not worried about that. I may stay with Rogers if upgrades are imminent...the hardware is that cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck, I'm sure the upgrades are <font color="red"> Coming Soon </font color>

MCIBUS
01-20-2005, 10:51 PM
You got that right /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BCTripster
01-21-2005, 03:50 AM
Tom, some of those questions have quite obvious answers.

About there timeshiftimng(at the time) why didn't they offer A-hannels, NTV, and a few others?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cable will offer a more limited lineup of timeshifting simply because they are NOT trying to deliver to every local market in the country. They likely also have deals with their own local broadcaster, ie, you want to carry CFTO then for the timeshifting you get to carry CTV Vancouver and possibly Calgary or Edmonton but I don't think they'd waste the bandwidth on that right now, once analogue services are shut off then it is another story entirely as it opens up a lot more bandwidth, still years off from that though.

As Todd is finding out bandwidth on a cable system is not unlimited, as in any network management is required as cable already sends a lot of data down those pipes 24/7. They need to leave room for VOD, internet services, interactive TV services, digital TV services and currently the analogue services.

Once they shut off those analogue services then YES they can choose to carry more timeshifting but do not expect the identical channels you see on satellite, you will only get a selection of those as they really aren't huge selling points anyway, most people watch their local stations more.

Why the Western feed of Family Channel(at the time) wasn't offered in the time shifting package? and charged extra for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta make money some how, may have been contracted that way from Family Channel as well.

Why the WINK SERVICE wasn't available on the weather Network/Much Music? I got some BS response, but it was available in Toronto!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Likely network related issues, your local cable plant isn't the same as the plant in Toronto. Possibly they were testing the waters in Toronto to see if it was even worth rolling out WINK servers elsewhere, is WINK still working now?

I know we don't bother with the interactive stuff on our EVU PVR so not sure how many people actually use these features on a regular basis, beyond the novelty checking them out.

Why they didn't offer the french PPV service, when Ottawa has a large francophone pop?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are using Viewers Choice they must be able to use the SAP feature for it I'd imagine, that at least offers French PPV capabilities. A seperate service would of course eat up bandwidth, also, how popular is PPV in general? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Why this, why that?

Alot of the question I kept asking, you could tell they didn't want to answer as it would make them look bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That and you were calling in weekly Tom, they serve millions but this one guy insisted on calling in weekly with more questions. Almost like the customer they could never keep happy because he expected the service to be exactly like the 2 satellite services he also subscribed to at the time.

Some of these questions really may have been better asked off-air to begin with, also, if you make them sound more like grievances than questions they are much less likely to want to have you do that each and every week. Taking live questions on-air like that is not easy for anyone especially if the caller "rambles on" and seems intent on making you look bad.

I'd say you'd be better off emailing them but .. umm .. probably not /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe calling a technician CSR or someone like that would be a better fit, maybe if you sign back up ask if you could have a steady contact number so you are always dealing with the same person or someone who can give you the answers you seek.

If you do want to call in to the live show then do it at most once a month, keep your questions short and to the point and definitely don't always come across as using the platform for airing grievances.

GaryE
01-21-2005, 04:06 AM
I often watched this show and I wondered to myself... Why don't they cut this guy off? LOL Guess they finally just banned him for good.

MCIBUS
01-21-2005, 03:22 PM
It just goes to show you when some one tells their subs the truth about Rogers and they don't want the truth to come out, they eliminate that source, so they can F' OVER everyone.

Sorry to be blunt but the truth hurts and if Rogers can't admit it to their subs, then their nothing but a bunch of <font color="yellow"> /forums/images/graemlins/tdown.gif YELLOW /forums/images/graemlins/tdown.gif BELLY /forums/images/graemlins/tdown.gif COWARDS /forums/images/graemlins/tdown.gif </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/evil.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/volcano.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

GaryE
01-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Yet you wanna go back to Rogers. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleye.gif
Go figure!

MCIBUS
01-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Thats remains to be seen. Nothing has been finalized as of yet, and Rogers is still a possible option, but nothing is final.

And if I do decide to sleep &amp; dance with the devil(ROGERS) again, it'll be my soul that is dammed for eternity.

Arthur
01-21-2005, 05:18 PM
And if I do decide to sleep &amp; dance with the devil(ROGERS) again, it'll be my soul that is dammed for eternity.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all of your bundles I think bell owns your soul, and for sure your a**. /forums/images/graemlins/joker.gif

MCIBUS
01-21-2005, 05:38 PM
With Bell its heaven /forums/images/graemlins/joker.gif

Bell Blue &amp; Yellow bright colours means enlightenment meaning heaven.

Rogers Red fire hot evil the devil meaning HELL