PDA

View Full Version : showcase action

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 11:49 PM
It's a good idea for a channel, imho, but they could show something else other than Die Hard, The Greatest American Hero, Once Upon a Thief, and some low budget, unknown action shows, repeated ad-nauseum.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 12:09 AM
I agree that there's too much repetition, but you'll get some argument over the content. (eg. G.A.H.)
Hopefully they'll make it a habit to show their movies uncut/OAR.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 12:25 AM
Yeah, my main argument is the repetition. Die Hard 2 on for the second time today. Wonder if they'll show Die Hard 3.

snoman
09-09-2001, 01:50 AM
Give them time to get all the programming they plan to carry,they've only been on 1 day.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 02:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snoman:
Give them time to get all the programming they plan to carry,they've only been on 1 day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't you think it would be a better selling point if you do a better job on the first day.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 03:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnmce:

don't you think it would be a better selling point if you do a better job on the first day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is with you people? I swear -- its like many of you have NEVER seen a channel (Canadian OR American) launch before...

Its called a preview loop... its in a loop for a reason... because you have viewers joining in for the first time all the time through the first 24 hours or so...

After a weekend of a loop, then you get in to regular programming 6am Monday and give the viewers two months to see what you're really like.

The weekend isn't intended to be the start of regular programming -- just a sampler of thigns to come.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 04:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SC_Guy:
What is with you people? I swear -- its like many of you have NEVER seen a channel (Canadian OR American) launch before...

Its called a preview loop... its in a loop for a reason... because you have viewers joining in for the first time all the time through the first 24 hours or so...

After a weekend of a loop, then you get in to regular programming 6am Monday and give the viewers two months to see what you're really like.

The weekend isn't intended to be the start of regular programming -- just a sampler of thigns to come.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

loop ? where is it marked preview loop
this is suppose to be the starting day . not a preview loop

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 04:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SC_Guy:
The weekend isn't intended to be the start of regular programming -- just a sampler of thigns to come.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some repetition is good / necessary as we each try to sort out the new channels. However I think some of the channels could have done themselves a huge favor by airing more in the way of "Blockbuster" programing this weekend. But perhaps with 35+ new channels launching at once programers decided it wasn't worth "wasting" bigger name shows when most people will be spending their time flipping channels rather than watching entire programs.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 04:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wyatt Earp:
Some repetition is good / necessary as we each try to sort out the new channels. However I think some of the channels could have done themselves a huge favor by airing more in the way of "Blockbuster" programing this weekend. But perhaps with 35+ new channels launching at once programers decided it wasn't worth "wasting" bigger name shows when most people will be spending their time flipping channels rather than watching entire programs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think when you are promotin, this when you show off you best stuff

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 03:21 PM
Weekend At Bernie's == Action??

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 10:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asonthebadone:
Weekend At Bernie's == Action??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well not for Bernie himself, no.

BCTripster
09-09-2001, 11:21 PM
Expect repetition from most of the new channels, many are only airing 6 hours of content a day and that 6 hours is repeated 4 times.

This does happen on the US channels as well, for instance TechTV has little content over the weekends, it's mostly repeats of the previous weeks programming, however they are live for over 10 hours on weekdays, which is great.

TNT and USA repeat their programming over the weekend as well, movies they air Saturday night are re-aired on Sunday afternoon for example. However both have programming during the day on weekdays that isn't repeated during primetime.

SC_Guy: this isn't demo loops the new digitals are airing, they launched September 7th, it's definitely in their best interests to try and hook viewers this weekend and that means showing what normal programming will be like.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-10-2001, 12:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BCTripster:
Expect repetition from most of the new channels, many are only airing 6 hours of content a day and that 6 hours is repeated 4 times.

SC_Guy: this isn't demo loops the new digitals are airing, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really??? I couldn't figure out what all those channels in my program guide were all about... thanks Trips http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Seriously, though... ANY new service -- Canadian, American, Brazilian -- I don't care where it comes from. The purpose of launching on a Friday is so you can give viewers a "taste" a "peek" at what you're going to offer. For most of the conventional digitals, this is the way to go. Why? Because -- Monday @ 6am ET is when the broadcast week begins. That's when they'll start airing the strips and strands of programs they bought from suppliers.

I love all these "oh, they should be showing the best stuff out of the gate" posts. Why? Because it shows that Joe Average knows little about the business.

Friday at 1pm ET may have been when the channels turn on, but the first real day of programming starts on Monday at 6.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-10-2001, 02:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asonthebadone:
It's a good idea for a channel, imho, but they could show something else other than Die Hard, The Greatest American Hero, Once Upon a Thief, and some low budget, unknown action shows, repeated ad-nauseum.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greatest American Hero? I love that show, when's it on? If I'd known that was going to be this weekend I wouldn't have wasted my time watching football.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-10-2001, 03:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oilersfan:
Greatest American Hero? I love that show, when's it on? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like (CST) 6 a.m., 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily, 1 episode per day.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-10-2001, 06:03 PM
The biggest problem I have with Showcase Action or Diva is my IPG just showed "Showcase xxxx Programming" for most of the weekend. I hope this doesn't continue, as I like to flip through the guide occasionally to see what the new stations are offering.

jdf
09-10-2001, 06:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oilersfan:
Greatest American Hero? I love that show, when's it on? If I'd known that was going to be this weekend I wouldn't have wasted my time watching football.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was also a fan but have never seen any rebroadcasts of this show since it originally aired in the 80's. Has anyone else seen it shown elsewhere recently?