PDA

View Full Version : OT-Are they any other Ottawa Area subs here?

MCIBUS
09-08-2001, 08:59 PM
I was wondering is there any other Ottawa area subs here onthe forum.I know a few any others,post if you wish.
Thanks TOM http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Arthur
09-08-2001, 09:23 PM
I'm south near the 401.
Wired a lot of houses in your neck of the woods back in the 80's.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 09:32 PM
So Close... Hey!! I think I can See Chretien going for a Dump....

MCIBUS
09-08-2001, 09:35 PM
From the last time I recall from the members that posted here there was about 10 or so members if I'm not mistaken.
TOM http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

mikealex
09-08-2001, 09:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MCIBUS:

I was wondering is there any other Ottawa area subs here onthe forum.I know a few any others,post if you wish.
Thanks TOM http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in Stittsville, which is now unfortunately part of Ottawa.

...Mike

MCIBUS
09-08-2001, 09:57 PM
Hey I know how you feel,I'm in Manotic.First we get this Thank-you very much MR Harris NOT!!!!and now getting this NO Smokeing by-law in resturants,bars,and all public places.Yea! a "New Ottawa" it'll be better yea right! in a pigs eye!!
TOM http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 10:01 PM
I'm from Kanata.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 10:07 PM
I'm in Beckwith just south and west (and fortunately not part of http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif) Ottawa.

[This message has been edited by Whisper_RM (edited 09-08-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 10:37 PM
I'm in Gloucester (Ottawa now), east of the split.

mikealex
09-08-2001, 11:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MCIBUS:
Hey I know how you feel,I'm in Manotic.First we get this Thank-you very much MR Harris NOT!!!!and now getting this NO Smokeing by-law in resturants,bars,and all public places.Yea! a "New Ottawa" it'll be better yea right! in a pigs eye!!
TOM http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So far, this new Ottawa has meant that my street name is changing (guess who gets to pay for the mail redirection), my property taxes went up 12% this year, and we have no new services to show for it. Thank-you very much Mr. Harris!

Now, don't flame me for this, but I am a strong supporter of the smoking ban. I am allergic to cigarette smoke and can't stay in a smokey place for more than a few mintues before I get a very sore throat, and I start coughing uncontrollably. It is nice to be able to go out to restaurants and bars of my choice now.

...Mike

[This message has been edited by mikealex (edited 09-08-2001).]

MCIBUS
09-08-2001, 11:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikealex:
So far, this new Ottawa has meant that my street name is changing (guess who gets to pay for the mail redirection), my property taxes went up 12% this year, and we have no new services to show for it. Thank-you very much Mr. Harris!

Now, don't flame me for this, but I am a strong supporter of the smoking ban. I am allergic to cigarette smoke and can't stay in a smokey place for more than a few mintues before I get a very sore throat, and I start coughing uncontrollably. It is nice to be able to go out to restaurants and bars of my choice now.

...Mike

[This message has been edited by mikealex (edited 09-08-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a non-smoker myself Mike(and I'm not flameing you here) but I think they went to far on this one seperately vent areas would of been fine,and did you see that report on the NEW RO where that bar owner spent $30,000 on seperate vented eating areas after consulting with the city,and now they pull this on him I wonder how many Bars & Clubs will go belly up.

Dede
09-08-2001, 11:20 PM

Thanks TOM http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep.

MCIBUS
09-08-2001, 11:26 PM
Well by my count there at least 15 now that I know are in the Ottawa Area.I wonder if thats the record of haveing subs in one area on this forum?
Cheers TOM http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 02:01 AM
I literally live in the geographic centre of Ottawa - at least it was before amalgamation.
The Canal's a block away to the north and the Rideau river, where my dog loves to swim, is just to the south.

I don't have a big problem with the no smoking ban, but I could have lived with seperate ventilation. I'm guessing the legal advice the city received instructed them that they might be exposed to law suits from bar employees if the knowingly failed to protect those employees from known cancer causing agents. yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda.

They really surprised me: it was a unanimous vote at council.

That said, took the baby and wife out to pub for dinner tonight and I'm still wearing the same smoke-free clothes!

mikealex
09-09-2001, 02:29 AM
I'm a non-smoker myself Mike(and I'm not flameing you here) but I think they went to far on this one seperately vent areas would of been fine,and did you see that report on the NEW RO where that bar owner spent $30,000 on seperate vented eating areas after consulting with the city,and now they pull this on him I wonder how many Bars & Clubs will go belly up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, as a customer, I would have been fine with a separatly vented area myself, but since they were pushing this as a work environment initiative, that would have killed their arguments for doing it.

I honestly believe that there may be some initial pain for some of the bars, but in time the business will come back. People are going to get tired of going to Hull just so they can smoke. Also, I think Hull is considering a new smoking law of their own.

...Mike

MCIBUS
09-09-2001, 02:40 AM
Your right Mike I believe it's suppose to delt with some after the "New Year" after Hull,Almyer,Gatineau, and suround areas on the Quebec side of the river merge.I can't believe they picked Gatineau over Hull as the new of the city,there is reason for it though,but it's slightly touchy issue all I will say is it had to do with who founded Hull and who founded Gatineau if know what I mean.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 03:32 AM
Another one from Ottawa (formerly Nepean).

kApOO
09-09-2001, 05:05 AM
from Nepean too! (now Ottawa) :-)

Danks
09-09-2001, 12:28 PM
BEWARE: Totally O/T RANT BEGINS
Frankly, I don't much care if I get flamed or not. This is an important social issue and I don't feel like letting any comment pass that
expresses opinion progress should be impeded because a few restaurants/bars might feel a negative financial impact.
Smoking is very much on the way out as far as being acceptable social behaviour is concerned. My only regret is that it is taking so long to make this clear to the remaining die-hards (no pun intended) addicted to this destructive and thoroughly unpleasant habit. My own little family has been and is still being ravaged by health problems directly attributable to smoking so I feel a personal involvement here. I, fortunately, kicked the habit while a young man back in in the sixties after succumbing to the usual peer pressure to try it out. I was smoking regularly by the time I was 12 years old! Quitting was certainly the best thing I ever did for myself in my entire life.
I still know lots of smokers. However, I don't know a single one that wants to see his child take it up though!
It's time for a full scale WAR against this damnable industry . . . not just pussy footing about with pictures and warning labels on the packages.
Ottawa's step is but a small one compared to what I'd like to see enacted. I think the public support for more draconian action on this matter is out there where it truly counts . . in the electorate at large. Anyone is of course free to disagree with me on the matter but the direction in which society is moving seems pretty clear and seems hardly likely to be derailed by the rear guard actions of this deep-pocketed industry. We've come a long way since public public places, and even some transportation vehicles, were filled with clouds of acrid smoke as they were back in in the fifties. I don't think there are many folks who would like to return to those conditions.

RANT ENDS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikealex:

Now, don't flame me for this, but I am a strong supporter of the smoking ban.
[This message has been edited by mikealex (edited 09-08-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 02:47 PM
I am in Lanark, And I did get that load of new 5100's to Toronto 2 weeks ago....to my surprise there was another load there also...and 2 loads of new 2700's...

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 05:05 PM
In Ottawa (Glouchester) now. Will be for a while (year or so)

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 07:29 PM
Near Merrickville (South & West), though I work in Ottawa (well, I *did* until the high-tech slump started &lt;grumble&gt; ).

Tell you what, I had lunch at the Prescott a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't been there in many years because of the lousy air in there. Decided to try it post-ban, and *surprise*, it was as jam-packed as I remember it, except everybody was breathing.
What I *hadn't* remembered was how bad the food sucks, but I was reminded. :-(

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 07:35 PM
In Kanata. New owner of a 5100 thanks to KuSat and soon to be HDTV thanks to JohnnyG.

mikealex
09-09-2001, 07:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bsmith:
Near Merrickville (South & West), though I work in Ottawa (well, I *did* until the high-tech slump started &lt;grumble&gt; ).

Tell you what, I had lunch at the Prescott a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't been there in many years because of the lousy air in there. Decided to try it post-ban, and *surprise*, it was as jam-packed as I remember it, except everybody was breathing.
What I *hadn't* remembered was how bad the food sucks, but I was reminded. :-(<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What?!? You're dissing their "World Famous Meatball Sandwich"? (They kinda remind me of fried catfood on Wonder bread).

...Mike

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 11:21 PM
Count me as another Ottawa (Nepean) sub. 5 days until I get my dish and 5100 and bye bye to digital cable.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-10-2001, 12:45 AM
I'm in Ottawa.

noelk
09-10-2001, 03:32 AM
Yes, I also live in Ottawa and very central...just a few houses up from Bank Street.

As for the smoking, I couldn't agree more with danks' earlier rant...it's the way of the future.

Noel

**DONOTDELETE**
09-10-2001, 03:52 AM
Im in Ottawa to right by the canal.

GO SENS GO!! lol

**DONOTDELETE**
09-10-2001, 12:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by noelk:
Yes, I also live in Ottawa and very central...just a few houses up from Bank Street.

As for the smoking, I couldn't agree more with danks' earlier rant...it's the way of the future.

Noel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in Richmond. I was at the local pub Fri. night. Couldn't get over the differance in the air quality.

Keops
09-10-2001, 12:13 PM
I'm in Ottawa too, Barrhaven area.

Keops

Leroy
09-10-2001, 12:24 PM
Northwest of Ottawa in Arnprior.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-10-2001, 02:32 PM
Alta Vista.

Dede
09-10-2001, 05:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bsmith:
What I *hadn't* remembered was how bad the food sucks, but I was reminded. :-(<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Prescott has been smoke free for more than a year now, much before the ban. The food? I only go in there for the square pizza anyway. What kind of sat system do they use for those big screen (&lt;-to bring it back on topic)

GOD
09-10-2001, 08:32 PM
I'm a smoker ! I agree with every ounce of prevention that they can come up with . Tax it to death or whatever . I hate the smell of it in my house , on my clothes and in my truck . I'm addicted , but thinking hard on tossing them agan . I had been smoke free for 2 yrs but foolishly enough started up again and now have 2 yrs the wrong way . I think I'm ready to give it another kick .BTW...I'm waaaaaay East of Ottawa . http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

MCIBUS
09-10-2001, 08:59 PM
Man Oh Man I never realised how many sub are in the Ottawa Area.I wonder if thats record on the forum for amount of subs in one area.
PEACE UP TOM http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mackem73
09-11-2001, 01:33 AM
I'm from Kanata, Rogers is finally upgrading
the cable here.
Too late though, I have a dish on the roof,
and it stays, love it.

MCIBUS
09-11-2001, 01:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mackem73:
I'm from Kanata, Rogers is finally upgrading
the cable here.
Too late though, I have a dish on the roof,
and it stays, love it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought there was a BY-LAW regarding SAT DISHES or does that only apply to BUDS in KANATA.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-11-2001, 01:54 AM
God, I wish you the best of luck in your battle against cigarette addiction; it won't be easy, but let me assure you it will be one of the smartest things you'll do.

I just finished reading Peter Gzowski's essay "Out of breath" in this Saturday's Globe and Mail; very sad indeed. At one point he describes how he's "confined to barracks with an oxygen tube up my nose and a four-wheeled buggy... that allows me to walk from one end of the apartment to the other". Enough said.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-11-2001, 04:54 AM
Vanier w/ a 6000 for last few months, Tunney's w/ *c421 prior to that.

Scooter

**DONOTDELETE**
09-11-2001, 03:13 PM
Kanata here... 2 dishes on top of my house... no by-law officers yet http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mackem73
09-12-2001, 01:30 AM
I believe they all have to be EVU dishes :-)

I thought there was a BY-LAW regarding SAT DISHES or does that only apply to BUDS in KANATA.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>