PDA

View Full Version : TechTV salutes Canada

BCTripster
09-08-2001, 02:52 AM
Excellent salute to Canada all day long as they welcome us to their channel.

I just want to say, finally our broadcasters have got it right, bring us the channels with the content intact and throw in some Canadian commercials and tidbits of info during the breaks. And hey, TechTV probably just filled a months worth of Cancon today, there's flags all over the place, the token Canadian staff members coming on to say hi, Canadian guests, etc.

I was worried that we were looking at chopped up overly Canadianized versions of some channels, but from the looks of TechTV, MSNBC, Animal Planet, National Geographic, etc. we're finally getting some content that's worth paying for, and without the token addition of Red Green reruns!

Some obvious observations, DejaView seems to be the replay spot for old Prime shows now, lol http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif They best get to work gaining themselves an audience before the steamroller that is TV Land gets to air.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 07:34 AM
Despite the fact that I do have a BUD and get TechTV in it's pristine, analog glory, I spent most of tonight watching TechTV. They sure had a heyday with the salute to Canada bit :-)

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 02:36 PM
Yeah but they don't know how to spell "Nortel". They spelled it "Nortell" when giving examples of hi-tech companies from Canada.

And Megan mentioned that ALL road signs, etc., are in French and English throughout Canada. If only it were so, especially in Quebec...

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 07:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by highwire:
Yeah but they don't know how to spell "Nortel". They spelled it "Nortell" when giving examples of hi-tech companies from Canada.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They did apologize when they came back from commercial, though http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
And Megan mentioned that ALL road signs, etc., are in French and English throughout Canada. If only it were so, especially in Quebec...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't she the one who said she was Canadian?

MrVH
09-08-2001, 08:41 PM
I really like TechTV, been watching for a long time on the BUD (back when it was ZDTV), but....

I have/had never watched Dave Chalk but had seen the comments here railing him, well let me say...

...this guy is a moron!

He knows nothing about computers and is totally misguiding the general public. For example, today he was mentioning a Packard Bell computer (the Isomethingerother) and mentioned that "you need a FAST CPU these days and this one has it, a Celeron 700". Excuse me!? (what a moron). He says "it has extremely hi-tech and hi-performance video with AGP graphics". Excuse me!? (what a moron) What CHIPSET is it? What MANUFACTURER? I can imagine the Crapard Bell has some sort of SiS or Intel i740 piece of garbage for it's video and it's probably ONBOARD AGP.

O man, I could go on and on... I can't stop thinking (what a moron).

Everything else about TechTV is great, but the channel gets changed when the Canadian Chalkbored comes on.

[This message has been edited by MrVH (edited 09-08-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 09:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrVH:
I really like TechTV, been watching for a long time on the BUD (back when it was ZDTV), but....

I have/had never watched Dave Chalk but had seen the comments here railing him, well let me say...

...this guy is a moron!

He knows nothing about computers and is totally misguiding the general public. For example, today he was mentioning a Packard Bell computer (the Isomethingerother) and mentioned that "you need a FAST CPU these days and this one has it, a Celeron 700". Excuse me!? (what a moron). He says "it has extremely hi-tech and hi-performance video with AGP graphics". Excuse me!? (what a moron) What CHIPSET is it? What MANUFACTURER? I can imagine the Crapard Bell has some sort of SiS or Intel i740 piece of garbage for it's video and it's probably ONBOARD AGP.

Everything else about TechTV is great, but the channel gets changed when the Canadian Chalkbored comes on.

[This message has been edited by MrVH (edited 09-08-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Excuse Me" it is not Crapard Bell it is "Packard SMELL" hehehehe ...
good thing they din't say that in Canada we live in an "Igloo" and dress like esquimo .... and all that we are is a Bunch of beer drinker Lumberjack !! (well maybe about the beer drinker...) and Fuc* the Queen
Why in the hell we are still paying her... maybe the Canadian $$$ would be better, that
guy who was signing "Good bless the queen" was problably a High-School Drop out who failed is Geography class I laffed at those jokes about Canad-UH!.. but he is an As*-hole

PS after all ours beer is better...

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 10:40 PM
I concur on your opinion of Dave Chalk. Did you see that commercial (it was really a heavily sponsored "mini feature") of him promoting the Celeron 500 based Compaq system or the Sony Discman? I mean, in the case of the former, it's only about a year or so out of date and the latter, it's a Discman, we really don't need an explanation of the headphone jack.

Mike.

BCTripster
09-08-2001, 11:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrVH:

...this guy is a moron!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL ... told you I wasn't dreaming when I said he was a corporate sponsored whore. He'll push anything and everything when you give him a free piece of hardware or sponsorship.

He used to have his own computer store chain out west here, but it went titsup.com and he started doing these shows on KVOS TV12 a couple years back.

Like I said, I'm just glad that we are getting most of the TechTV feed instact with just a spattering of moron added. You sure can tell the difference between the TechTV materials and the computer show that Chalk presents, from his nice mansion there with all the latest gadgets and his sidekick trying to be funny.

TechTV will tell you upfront whether a product is crap or not, Chalk will only do that if there's no chance of any other freebies coming later on http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 05:20 AM
I usually don't comment on such things, but I can't resist this one. I honestly question Mr. Chalk's qualifications. There are many current and former computer store owners who publicly admit to knowing absolutely nothing about the industry! For those who are familiar with the former Montreal chain (if you can call it that) called Crazy Irving, the owner publicly admitted to knowing nothing; and it was even printed in an article in the Montreal Gazette. I think that is also the case with Mr. Chalk. A little knowledge (with great emphasis on the "little") can be a dangerous thing.

Who ever came up with the idea for this show? More accurately, which clumsy fool hired the host?! If it was all of his doing, then I say shame on CTV for broadcasting it... Nationally!!!

It is a sad day indeed when this misleading moron appears on a supposed tech channel.

I still remember one of his shows in particular. He was explaining what cache is and what it does. He went through the whole explanation (not very accurately, I might add) telling viewers what to look for etc... Using a 486-class motherboard and terminology from that time!

PLEASE!!! Somebody get him off the air, for good.

BTW, have any other BEV subscribers had trouble with TechTV briefly going black periodically? I had no "acquiring satellite signal" and it came back within seconds, but it did happen a few times during the few hours I watched (during which time Mr. Chalk made a few appearances). I tried on both my 2700 and 4700 with the same results. Any comments?

Remus
09-09-2001, 09:15 AM
I'm using a 3100, and it was also freezing on me while I was watching Dave Chalk's show. Changing channels and switching back seemed to have 'unfroze' at the time.