PDA

View Full Version : BEV 5100 Oh My God!!

ddire
09-07-2001, 10:31 PM
We just finised hooking up our 5100 here at the store and all I can say is ... what a toy!

I would encourage any and all techies to run.. don't walk, to your nearest dealer and grab the remote control. This machine is truly awesome!

TV will NEVER be the same agian....

ddire

**DONOTDELETE**
09-07-2001, 10:56 PM
Us StarChoice serfs are happy for you. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

....Our PVR joy is not likely to happen very soon.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-07-2001, 11:23 PM
PVRs change the way you will watch TV. In several months you will wonder how you did without one.

Bill R

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 01:45 AM
I just scipped through my first commercial break with the 30sec jump button. I'm a very happy camper.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 03:00 AM
Definitely sounds like the future of television. Future Shop had a full page ad in today's Calgary Herald but I notice still no mention of any deals for us subs (as was indicated by McLennon in the big press release!) Looks like Bev will attract as many new subs with the new box until the novelty wears off and then (maybe) us loyal grunts will get our offer!

jconnor
09-08-2001, 03:32 AM
Add me to the list. Very happy camper. Thought I had a problem when there was no sound through the optical output. But that came on after the receiver was activated. The friendly BEV SCR activated the box in about two minutes and stayed on the line to make sure it worked. It doesn't get better than that!
Hope I'll still qualify for a BEV rebate, but there is definately no buyers remorse here.
Mind you if I have to complain about something, which is expected here http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif, the silver buttons are a bit much!
If you are thinking of one of these bad-boys, it lives up to the hype!

**DONOTDELETE**
09-08-2001, 04:32 AM
My 5100 will be here Monday, and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

I can't believe it !!! http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
I'm watching ADAM-12 on DejaView, and I'm hooked. My 5100 will be recording all sorts of ADAM-12 and Dragnet episodes, and any other old junk the new category II channels can throw at me...
The old stuff is soooo much better than the new crap on network TV..

OrdinaryGuy
09-08-2001, 03:57 PM
I got one of the betas in August, and the Visions rep suggested I swap for a "final consumer" model when available.

What is your software version number (on the system info screen)?

ddire
09-08-2001, 08:52 PM
They were very concerned when I call for authorization...

DNASPO1O Rev. A16

Software Ver. E340DCED-N

Boot Strap 12EBDCED

All is working well......

ddire

jconnor
09-08-2001, 09:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ddire:
DNASPO1O Rev. A16

Software Ver. E340DCED-N

Boot Strap 12EBDCED
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine was purchased from my local satellite guy. Slightly different software and bootstrap:

SW E340DCFD-N
Boot Strap 12EBDCFD

The last two letters in ddire's are ED, mine is FD. What's the difference? Who knows?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 02:50 PM
How's the PVR's picture quality on playback?

.....I rarely use my VCR as I can't stand watching VHS PQ.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 02:55 PM
It's identical! The other thing that will distinguish it from a VCR is being to play back dolby digital when you record a source that has it.

PJ

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 09:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quality Is Job One:
How's the PVR's picture quality on playback?

.....I rarely use my VCR as I can't stand watching VHS PQ.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of course, VHS stinks. But try S-VHS instead (eg. JVS HR-S9800 or 9900). *Not* the cheapie (junk) S-VHS machines under $400!!

Mitsubishi builds an S-VHS deck (HSU795) for $400 which produces PQ indistinguishable from the recording source, even on high-quality VHS tapes (ie., not expensive S-VHS tapes). Alas, Mitsubishi does not sell electronics in Canada!

Or try the new D-VHS. Pure digital. Equals DVD for PQ and sound. Numerous new models are sold in the U.S. but not in Canada - yet. JVC may import one D-VHS model into Canada in late September. But these machines cost about $2000 and up.

In the US, we all needed S-VHS to archive from our PVR, or to record standalone with outstanding PQ. Thus, S-VHS is more popular than ever. But D-VHS seems to be the new recording format of choice for tape. Of course, recordable DVD is beckoning...

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2001, 09:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by montacute:
Alas, Mitsubishi does not sell electronics in Canada!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are proud owners of a 36" Mitsu TV. Even after a few years, this TV still amazes me with it's picture quality.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-11-2001, 04:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quality Is Job One:
We are proud owners of a 36" Mitsu TV. Even after a few years, this TV still amazes me with it's picture quality.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was a sad day for Canadian electronics consumers when Mitsu left Canada because they make perhaps the best televisions, tube or projection.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-11-2001, 04:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ddire:
We just finised hooking up our 5100 here at the store and all I can say is ... what a toy!

I would encourage any and all techies to run.. don't walk, to your nearest dealer and grab the remote control. This machine is truly awesome!

TV will NEVER be the same agian....

ddire<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, but think I'll wait til about January for the 721 with 2-tuner and 75-hour: http://www.beststuff.com/articles/2106/

**DONOTDELETE**
09-11-2001, 04:09 AM
From skyreport:

PVR Wars Spread

The battle of survival among personal video recorder purveyors heated up last
week with media outlets fanning the flames. Both BusinessWeek and Red Herring
feature stories on the players, with high prices for ReplayTV, low sub numbers for
TiVo and big budgets for Microsoft's UltimateTV taking center stage.

For TiVo, money is critical as the time-shifting technology maker looks to run out of
cash by Feb. 1 unless wary investors can be talked into putting up $75 million in a
private stock offering launched in July. Despite their fanatical devotion to the
product, today's estimated 225,000 subscribers represent only about a third of what
TiVo needs to break even and BusinessWeek chides the service for high
concept/low yield marketing that has ballooned into a $735 per subscriber
acquisition cost.

As for ReplayTV, which was recently purchased by gadget maker SONICBlue, the
latest strategy is high-tech, high-ticket aiming at what Red Herring deems a
"narrow market of gadget freaks." No wonder as Replay's top-of-the-line 320-hour,
automatic commercial skipping technology carries a $1,999 price tag.

Both companies continue to be threatened by some of technology's biggest batters.
Microsoft, for one, is shelling out an estimated $50 million to promote its
UltimateTV. With an existing 13 percent ownership in TiVo, AOL looks poised to
gobble up that company (and its critical patents). And, on the small but fast front,
EchoStar continues to push its PVR players in a bid to keep increasing market
share.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-11-2001, 04:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Thought I had a problem when there was no sound through the optical output. But that came on after the receiver was activated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really want a 5100.

I live in near Toledo,Ohio. I am using a broker to receive programming. My concern is getting the receiver activated. Will my broker have any problems?

I would deactivate the old receiver.

damian
09-11-2001, 05:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by montacute:
Yeah, but think I'll wait til about January for the 721 with 2-tuner and 75-hour: http://www.beststuff.com/articles/2106/

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is that there is always something bigger or better just around the corner. Wait and buy in January and within a year there will be a unit with more memory or better capabilities. Eventually you will store your video library on a hard drive.

Does anyone know if the hard drive in the 5100 can be upgraded? This is the option I want, like my computer I just want to beef up the memory and drive capacity every couple of years. An easy port for swapable hard drives would be nice too.

[This message has been edited by damian (edited 09-11-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
09-11-2001, 06:14 PM
Last I've heard is that the HD is NOT upgradable, which is sad. I love mine after just one night with it though.

Bring on hockey season!

**DONOTDELETE**
09-12-2001, 10:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
I really want a 5100.

I live in near Toledo,Ohio. I am using a broker to receive programming.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
In Ohio, get the E*501. Same device, except in the U.S. it's FREE with new subscription, or $99 to $199 for existing subs.

Even better, if you're lucky enough to live in the U.S., you can get the much better E*721 model (2-tuner, 75 hr) which will be sold in the U.S. this autumn!!

[This message has been edited by montacute (edited 09-20-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
09-14-2001, 06:41 PM
montacute,

Right now I am not interested in Dish Network's 501. It is a buggy piece of junk.

I already have a Directv with Tivo. I really like PVR for viewing recorded sports. Since I get Expressvu for Leafs games and Centre Ice, I thought the 5100 would be a good fit.

Arthur
09-14-2001, 06:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
montacute,

Right now I am not interested in Dish Network's 501. It is a buggy piece of junk.

edit
I thought the 5100 would be a good fit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do some research you will find that the 5100 is a 501.

don't get me wrong I like it but if you don't I'd hate to see you stuch with something you think is a piece of junk.

mikealex
09-14-2001, 06:53 PM
A 5100 is just Evu's version of an E*501. It is the identical box. If you think the E*501 is a buggy piece of junk, then so is the 5100 (although I don't think so).

...Mike

[This message has been edited by mikealex (edited 09-14-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
09-15-2001, 05:08 PM
I am aware the 501 and the 5100 are the same hardware, however Expressvu can modify the software.

I thought I had read here that BEV did some sort of beta testing, however I couldn't find anything through the search feature.

I can sit back and wait to see if the 5100 turns out to be like the 501. Crossing in Windsor isn't as quick as it used to be.

Arthur
09-15-2001, 05:27 PM
edit
I thought I had read here that BEV did some sort of beta testing,
edit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they did, they let Dishnetwork customers try it first. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif