PDA

View Full Version : TV-tuner card?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Would it be possible to connect Starchoice satellite signals to my PC via a tv tuner card like ATI TV-Wonder. Just curious, trying to find a cheeper meathod PVR.

Newbee

mastercontrol
01-21-2004, 05:39 PM
If you're card has RCA or S-Video, you can do it that way. If you only have a coax, then you can feed the coax into the card and use channel 3 or 4 (depending on the output). I have an All-In-Wonder 7500, and I feed my SVHS VCR into it, which has the Star Choice receiver output (through RCA cables), and I get great results with it.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Thats great, thanks alot for the info. Is the pic quality good when you record with a TV-tuner card.

mastercontrol
01-21-2004, 06:18 PM
I don't record with a "TV Tuner" card, as I don't use the coax input for capturing (i use RCA). I record most of my captures at 8Mbps 720x480, and the pic quality is really good.

bigoranget
01-21-2004, 06:34 PM
I connect my SC system to my computer all the time using S-Video. Great picture results.

I_Want_My_HDTV
01-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Picture quality using s-video and audio using rca are both good. Video and audio using RF (channel 3/4) over coax are typically poor. The results are nowhere near as good as with a PVR such as the EV 5800. If you are looking at spending several hundred dollars to upgrade a PC to convert it into a PVR, spending a little extra for a real PVR is worthwhile.

SatMike
01-21-2004, 10:10 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If you are looking at spending several hundred dollars to upgrade a PC to convert it into a PVR, spending a little extra for a real PVR is worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

It only cost me $99 plus tax to convert my PC to a PVR.
It may not have all the features of the actual PVR box but suits my needs just fine.

pauldryan
01-22-2004, 06:27 AM
But is the upgraded PC your primary computer or is it dedicated for PVR duty? That's the concern that I've got. If I was going to assemble enough processing power, hard drive space, etc I wouldn't be wasting it on a dedicated PVR, I'd be using the computer for gaming, surfing, work, etc. Would it be available to record when I needed it to be there or would one of my girls be using it to burn a VCD?

There is something to be said for a dedicated PVR like the 5800.

Paul

mastercontrol
01-22-2004, 03:14 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
There is something to be said for a dedicated PVR like the 5800.

[/ QUOTE ]
But the 5800 won't help if you want to capture off of tape, and you can't burn the show to a DVD from the 5800.

pauldryan
01-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Good point. But I'm not sure how much the value of archiving material onto DVD would overshadow the merits of a dedicated PVR like the 5800 versus a shared PC.

Paul

mastercontrol
01-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Well, there's always a third option; using a standalone PVR/DVD Recorder, like the Panasonic E-80.

pauldryan
01-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Yes but then wouldn't you loose the benefit of an integrated program guide? At least with the PC-PVR, I understand that you can use something like Titan to provide a program guide suitable to schedule future recordings.

I'm not really qualified to comment on the merits of either format, since I'm still using a VCR. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif If I weren't an HD enthusiast, I probably would have gone the PVR route already. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Paul

mastercontrol
01-22-2004, 05:29 PM
We could debate the merits/disadvantages of PC-PVR, satellite PVR and PVR/DVD Recorders until our fingers fall off, each one has it's own advantages/disadvantages. Depending on what the person wants to do, whether they just want to record for watching later (with no DVD recording), or if they want to be able to archive a show they recorded on the PVR (or do a simple transfer). Then there are people who like to have more control over the video, like being able to edit commercials out, or do basic to advanced editing and authoring, complete with custom DVD menus, etc. This is where the PC-PVR is great, IMO.